HS 250h Model (2010-2012)

Lithium hybrid battery

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-23, 08:31 PM
AtomsilGSF
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Lithium hybrid battery

Has anyone done the swap? I’ve read a few posts from CT200h owners doing this and would like to see if any HS250h owners have done this. I know it does not increase the mph you can drive on battery alone, but increases efficiency in stop and go traffic/sitting in a drive thru.
Old 05-14-23, 02:45 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,163 Likes on 991 Posts

This forum gets little traffic and they did not import many HS250h vehicles, only 20,000, so the market is so small there may not be anyone offering Lithium aftermarket batteries. There are a lot more CTs so I can understand them being offered.
Noone has posted about this upgrade swap. I did not know that there were aftermarket lithium batteries available for Toyota/Lexus hybrids.

I found one online, but they do not make it for the HS
​​​​​​https://projectlithium.com/collections/all?page=3
Old 05-14-23, 03:49 PM
AtomsilGSF
Driver

Originally Posted by Clutchless
This forum gets little traffic and they did not import many HS250h vehicles, only 20,000, so the market is so small there may not be anyone offering Lithium aftermarket batteries. There are a lot more CTs so I can understand them being offered.
Noone has posted about this upgrade swap. I did not know that there were aftermarket lithium batteries available for Toyota/Lexus hybrids.

I found one online, but they do not make it for the HS
​​​​​​https://projectlithium.com/collections/all?page=3
They also do it for the HS250h, they are sold out at the moment but spoke to the owner and he said they will be restocking soon for the Camry/HS. I am going to the Dr. Prius app test on my car since I just hit 150k and see how my hybrid battery is holding up. I believe their batteries are 40lbs lighter than stock as well which is nice. Texas heat is killer during the summer so I just want to be prepared lol
Old 05-15-23, 09:15 AM
Clutchless

Thats good to know, although I hope not to need to get a replacement battery. I did clean out the battery cooling ducts and fan a few years ago. There was some dust, but it was not clogged.
Old 05-15-23, 09:31 PM
AtomsilGSF
Driver

Originally Posted by Clutchless
Thats good to know, although I hope not to need to get a replacement battery. I did clean out the battery cooling ducts and fan a few years ago. There was some dust, but it was not clogged.
I’m looking at tackling that next Monday. The entire rear seat has to be removed if I’m not mistaken?
Old 05-16-23, 04:40 AM
Clutchless

Yes the entire rear seat. I don't recall much of the details. I will check my service manual and try to find the interior section to post. It was not difficult.

To remove the fan motor, 2 bolts are accessed from the interior afte removing the seat and the third (or 4th) bolt is accessed through a small flap in the rear trunk wall. It is a clever design. There are youtube videos on cleaning the ductwork on Prius' and Camry hybrids. Look at a few of those for general tips.
Old 05-16-23, 09:03 AM
Clutchless

Here are the service manual sections on accessing the battery fan which shows how to take the rear seat apart, and the rear seat section which has more details.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
HS250h Battery Blower.pdf (359.7 KB, 62 views)
File Type: pdf
HS250h Rear Seat Assembly.pdf (1.57 MB, 68 views)
The following users liked this post:
slodesign (01-04-24)

Trending Topics

Old Yesterday, 03:01 PM
Newguy79
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

is it the case that the forum still has no history of someone replacing the hybrid battery system on a HS250h? I think mine is degrading in performance. I get mid 20s around town and mid 30s on freeway when I should be getting low 30s at least IMO. I see lots of aftermarket battery systems on different sites and am wondering if a system built for the 2010 Hybrid Camry could possibly work in our cars. Technology would probably be fine but the size for everything might not.

Anyways posting here to see if anyone else is wondering about this. I am a plan for the worse kind of guy so I'd like to research options now and not be starting from scratch when the hybrid battery eventually dies.
Old Today, 07:28 AM
Clutchless

Mileage depends on how you drive. That mileage is normal, considering the age and mileage on these vehicles. Check your engine air filter and tire pressure.
That is about all the mileage I get, but I drive it hard because it is slow (I miss my MINI Cooper S) and do none of the hybrid mileage improvement tricks recommended on various forums.
You need to have a hybrid shop check your battery and hybrid system before throwing random expensive parts at it that you will never get back the cost of due to small increases in mileage.
There are a number of similar shops to this one in the Phoenix/Scottsdale/Tucson areas. https://www.toyomotors.com/hybrid-re...oenix-arizona/

Last edited by Clutchless; Today at 07:32 AM.
Old Today, 09:41 AM
Newguy79
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We plan on driving it into the ground (daughter's 1st car) at some point the battery will go and I'll want to buy aftermarket lithium batteries to do the job myself. I want to explore options now so Im ready when the time comes