HS 250h Model (2010-2012)

Toyota confirms Prius-based Lexus hybrid for Europe for 2010 (Page 5)

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-08, 01:17 PM
ndk83
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
It is deffinately a hybrid. And will be a whole new platform. I have seen sketches of what it is suppossed to look like, but you know how they change.
do u happen to remember what kind of car it was? was it like u said; a station wagon thats gonna be position above the IS ??

Originally Posted by DustinV
I'm just not feeling it for this car. I'm all for the idea of a small Lexus but this car has more Toyota design language in it than Lexus. I think Lexus has done a good job of creating their own unique design language in recent years which is clearly visible on the new IS, ES, LS and partially on the LX. This car, the Blade, screams "sportier Toyota Yaris" to me.

Competing with the 1-Series and A3 from a performance point of view won't be that easy. Both these cars have a huge following. The A- and B-Class from Mercedes are the practicality kings in its class. Relatively small cars with lots of interior space and large trunks and a variety of engine choices. Lexus will need a small car that is both variable and offers decent driving dynamics and more importantly a variety of engines. Throwing in a hybrid and a bunch of marketing won't do the trick I am afraid.
well said. Its def gonna be hard work if they ever introduce such a car, like u said most of them hot hatches /hatches have die hard followings. Its gonna be very interesting to see what direction they take. They have the basics to make a truly great hatch. Now that lexus has the F division i hope that they will start making more performance oriented cars. I mean they proved they can do reliable and they proved they can do luxury, its high time to make cars that are exhilarating to drive. Im excited about the future
Old 07-22-08, 07:03 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts

Posted on Monday 21 July 2008

Toyota planning second dedicated hybrid for 2009

Toyota has confirmed that it will unveil its third-generation Prius hybrid vehicle next year, most likely at the Detroit Auto Show in January, however latest reports indicate a second dedicated hybrid model will join the Prius. This will be in addition to a dedicated hybrid model expected from Lexus, which will also be revealed for the first time next year.

The information comes from the Nikkei, which also reports that the new model will be produced at a plant in Fukuoka and could potentially sell up to 100,000 units per year. The new car will be bigger and more powerful than the Prius, and will likely feature an engine displacing between 2.0 and 2.5L. According to the newspaper, a re-skinned and re-badged version of this car will be sold as a Lexus.

The Fukuoka plant is currently used to build hybrid versions of the Toyota Harrier and Lexus RX, as well as the Highlander (Kluger), but given the declining sales of the SUV models Toyota is looking at making adjustments to the factory to support more fuel-efficient hybrids.
Source
Old 07-22-08, 07:16 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ah so will it be powered by a 4 cylinder and be for gas mileage or will it be a powerful 2.5L V6 hybrid?
Old 07-22-08, 07:29 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd like to see a 2cyl motor paired to a small electric motor in the iQ concept car. That thing better be rocking out 120mpg. I'd buy one for the city as a DD, hell I'd pay 25k for something like that. It might not recoup it's costs for a while but having an EXTREMELY fuel efficient hybrid engine while being able to park in tight spaces (Boston is terrible for parking) would be well worth the cost.
Old 07-22-08, 07:29 AM
ndk83
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if its a small hatch im hoping it will be a 2.0 /2.2 l hybrid four banger to keep weight down, but if the car turns out to be the size of a rav4 ( i read its gonna be a bmw x3 competitor) then i hope they go with the 2.5l v6. i cant wait to see what they offer regardless
Old 07-22-08, 07:41 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ndk83
if its a small hatch im hoping it will be a 2.0 /2.2 l hybrid four banger to keep weight down, but if the car turns out to be the size of a rav4 ( i read its gonna be a bmw x3 competitor) then i hope they go with the 2.5l v6. i cant wait to see what they offer regardless
The article states it will be larger than the current Prius. So probably think Venza sized (since we already have a Camry hybrid) to go with the dedicated hybrid theme. The Prius is an awkward looking car and it brings in buyers that way, so if they make a larger Prius it would probably look like a Venza, which is basically a Highlander/RX with a lower ride height. Although I think that's a stupid move in itself.
Here's a break down of what I mean:
Highlander is basically a Camry crossover
The Camry hybrid is larger than the Prius but more traditional looking
The Venza is the Camry "wagon" and the Prius is supposed to be "wagon-like" or call it a hatchback
Now the Venza is basically a lowered RX/Highlander (as both those vehicles are basically Camry variants) they also both have Hybrid powertrains available already which don't share the same market because the RX is more powerful than the Highlander and is also marketed as a luxury hyrbid crossover rather (obvious by the Toyota versus Lexus badge). If they make this new dedicated hyrbid around the size of the Venza than they'll just be taking more market share from the Highlander hybrid.
This is all my own speculation but from Toyota's current resources and plans it seems the most likely.

I would prefer to have seen it a smaller vehicle as well but I think weight effects smaller vehicles too much for any boost in economy. Also a smaller vehicle should be priced less but would actually probably come a lot closer to pricing to a Prius than they'd want. A lot of customers would probably say "Well I can pay a small amount more for a bigger vehicle."
Old 08-05-08, 09:39 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts

More info on Lexus’ Prius-based dedicated hybrid

Posted: August 4th, 2008

We already know that Lexus is working on a dedicated hybrid model based on the Prius. AutoCar has uncovered more info on the luxury hybrid model that will make its debut at the 2009 Detroit Auto Show.

According to sources in Japan, the dedicated Lexus hybrid model will be fully-based on the next-generation Prius platform but will be more comfort orientated with sleeker design and a little more power. The car is reported to be powered by a 2.0 or 2.5 liter 4-cylinder engine that will be mated to a nickel-hydride battery.

The next-generation Toyota Prius is expected to be powered by a 1.6L engine, also mated to nickel-hydride battery, with more power and better fuel-economy than the current model.

AutoCar sources say that the dedicated Lexus hybrid model will be upgraded to lithium-ion technology by the end of 2010. No word on whether the next-generation Toyota Prius will follow the same route.

The car expected to arrive in U.S. showrooms by summer 2009 with prices slightly higher than $30,000.
via egmcartech
Old 08-05-08, 12:23 PM
jruhi4
Lead Lap

Given the predictions that the dedicated Lexus hybrid will be larger than the Prius (and larger than the Corolla/Matrix/Auris/Blade, which all share the same platform), my educated guess is that the hybrid-only small Lexus will thus be based on the next platform up in size, which is the basis for the European Toyota Avensis, the U.S.'s Scion tC coupe and several JDM models, such as the Toyota Caldina, Allion and Premio.
Old 08-06-08, 06:24 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by jruhi4
Given the predictions that the dedicated Lexus hybrid will be larger than the Prius (and larger than the Corolla/Matrix/Auris/Blade, which all share the same platform), my educated guess is that the hybrid-only small Lexus will thus be based on the next platform up in size, which is the basis for the European Toyota Avensis, the U.S.'s Scion tC coupe and several JDM models, such as the Toyota Caldina, Allion and Premio.
Good guess and with Lexus reputation and with high gas prices and taxes based on CO2 emissions in Europe, this car is going to sell like hotcakes, even if it looks like crap
Old 08-06-08, 07:19 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmm, not sure if they should have let it known that a lithium battery updated should come out a year later in 2010. If that is indeed the case, I wouldn't but the 09 and just wait for the 2010 lithium battery version.
Old 08-07-08, 05:24 AM
jruhi4
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Hmm, not sure if they should have let it known that a lithium battery updated should come out a year later in 2010. If that is indeed the case, I wouldn't but the 09 and just wait for the 2010 lithium battery version.
My guess is that the "entry-level Lexus hybrid" will debut on January 2009 at the Detroit Auto Show as a concept that's very close to the production version, and that it'll come only as a lithium battery hybrid right from the start once it goes into production, as opposed to the Prius 3 being offered in lithium and non-lithium versions.
Old 08-08-08, 03:33 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

Blade is sportier Auris... I love the Auris, but nothing Lexus there.
Old 08-08-08, 03:37 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by jruhi4
My guess is that the "entry-level Lexus hybrid" will debut on January 2009 at the Detroit Auto Show as a concept that's very close to the production version, and that it'll come only as a lithium battery hybrid right from the start once it goes into production, as opposed to the Prius 3 being offered in lithium and non-lithium versions.
Who cares if it is lithium or nimh?

People need to stop caring about catch words - all we want is performance.
Until lithium is better and longer lasting than nimh, i dont want it in my car.
Old 08-14-08, 01:17 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Motor Trend has a rendering of the Lexus hybrid...

http://www.motortrend.com/future/fut.../photo_02.html

Speculative, but interesting.
Attached Thumbnails Toyota confirms Prius-based Lexus hybrid for Europe for 2010 (Page 5)-112_0808_01z-lexus_small_hybrid-front_three_quarter_view_illustration.jpg  
Old 08-14-08, 01:29 PM
LexFather

Thats a lot better rendering...of course 24" wheels and a drop make it look good like all renderings lol

Quick Reply: Toyota confirms Prius-based Lexus hybrid for Europe for 2010 (Page 5)