SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
my predictions:

In between IS and ES sedans size wise

40 city, 38 highway mpg

Starting point: 33K ranging up to 43K
Exactly what I was thinking. I am eager to find out what the ICE is.
Old 01-10-09, 04:38 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spwolf
is there going to be online reveal? i thought i remember seeing an link somewhere?
Lexus no longer streams live reveals, they used to on lexus.com/autoshow but not anymore, the last one was the 2007 NYIAS reveal of the LX 570. No stream either for the RX 350/450h...

I am interested in this vehicle as a future-focused luxury peoplemover focused on efficiency. My questions are...

1) How different from the IS and ES this will be
2) How different from its Prius cousin will it be

I'm hoping it looks reasonably good, not offensive. It may be not as much a looker as the ES/IS, but hopefully it will look nice enough to sell. And with efficiency etc. it could be a new segment-buster/creator for Lexus here in N. America but perhaps more importantly abroad.
Old 01-10-09, 06:02 PM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Exactly what I was thinking. I am eager to find out what the ICE is.
IMHO I think it is a 1.8 Liter.
Old 01-10-09, 06:49 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

i can not wait...

be nice if they make a variant of this model and have it like a station wagon, I can't stand the RX
Old 01-10-09, 07:47 PM
xcntuatd77
Lead Lap

Dont get me wrong...ill still want to see what this will look like but in my opinion this is not a car that defines "lexus" or what their definition of what the "pursuit of perfection" is ...

i seriously doubt a person rally cares about fuel economy when they go into a lexus dealership...needless to say or ask a salesman about what gas mileage the car gives....sure they sell hybrids...I believe people that ask for those are doing so becasue they want the "premium" vehicle...not becasue "ohh its better gas mileage..easier at the pump"..

with this vehicle intro to the lineup...im not sure what their guaging at or what direction they really have in mind.

One thing im almost sure about as i said earlier...i really doubt it will look attractive....I saw one japanese magazine on the net a few days ago that had a rear picture of this thing, the same magaizne that showed the new LS before its world debut at NAIAS....so im sure i saw the real thing....but i hoped to be proved wrong, and hope the design is good...or somewhat good and it achieves its purpose for the lexus brand.

Last edited by xcntuatd77; 01-10-09 at 07:57 PM.
Old 01-10-09, 08:46 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by xcntuatd77
Dont get me wrong...ill still want to see what this will look like but in my opinion this is not a car that defines "lexus" or what their definition of what the "pursuit of perfection" is ...

i seriously doubt a person rally cares about fuel economy when they go into a lexus dealership...needless to say or ask a salesman about what gas mileage the car gives....sure they sell hybrids...I believe people that ask for those are doing so becasue they want the "premium" vehicle...not becasue "ohh its better gas mileage..easier at the pump"..

with this vehicle intro to the lineup...im not sure what their guaging at or what direction they really have in mind.
I disagree. You can't say that someone who walks into a Lexus dealership isn't concerned about fuel economy. There are quite a few people who might even buy this thing as a commuter for work, and leave the LS or GS for bigger occasions. I personally think it's a smart move to create something like this. I have no doubt that this vehicle will sell.
Old 01-10-09, 08:58 PM
ren495
Pole Position

people who don't care about fuel economy and pollution are old ignorant people who don't understand that we live in a very different world than we did even 20 years ago. they still think it is 1950. If Lexus wants to have a future they need to ignore those people, just like they are doing.
Old 01-10-09, 09:07 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Well there is a relevant point--people who can afford cars at this price point have not had to care about fuel economy as much, which is why all these review discussions about "it will take X years to earn back the X price premium that justifies the X mpg savings" are really moot for vehicles like the 600h and 450h. Those cars are designed to be hybrid, with less emissions, but no sacrifice of performance for that (actually more powerful and faster).

What the 250h is doing is a departure though from the performance hybrids of Lexus. It may be an answer to those mpg critics who don't get the point of the other Lexus hybrids...which is efficiency but little compromise on performance. The 250h may muddle the message a bit because this is a car which is probably more focused on efficiency and a 2.5 L equivalent engine is not expected to be a top performance performer.

This car is still targeted at the luxury consumer, but perhaps it is the type of consumer that is even more concerned about efficiency, and maybe they consider it a luxury (I know I would) to not have to fill up as often.
Old 01-10-09, 09:48 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

okay....i understand where everyone who is against the HS is coming from...but...

why do people who are more affluent have to buy a toyota (prius) in order to say that they want to save gas and more importantly, emit less? i mean look at all the celebrities that buy the prius, and also those that have bought the RX and government officials who buy th LS600h. Why should people who want the luxury and name of a lexus have to buy a toyota product?

this is where the HS comes in. It gives the prestige, luxury, and technology of a lexus in the package of a prius. you can say that im just being a snob etc etc, but its the truth. many middle/upper class people will buy this car. the GS or the LS are way too expensive and impractical for daily use for most people. i look forward to having the HS on my list of possible cars in the future.

and this leads me onto another rant about how people say the RX hybrid isnt really a hybrid because if you really want to save gas, you wouldnt buy an SUV in the first place. this is complete BS, or even others who say that you will never get the price premium back with a hybrid. NEWS FLASH, its not all about gas you know. its about lowering our carbon footprint in this world. end of story. an also the cool factor of driving in stealth mode
Old 01-10-09, 10:22 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RXSF
this is where the HS comes in. It gives the prestige, luxury, and technology of a lexus in the package of a prius. you can say that im just being a snob etc etc, but its the truth. many middle/upper class people will buy this car. the GS or the LS are way too expensive and impractical for daily use for most people. i look forward to having the HS on my list of possible cars in the future.
Well said. A Prius-like vehicle for the luxury set, kinda like a Jetsons future car...it has potential.

its about lowering our carbon footprint in this world. end of story. an also the cool factor of driving in stealth mode
Yup, also the new RXh has the EV mode too for extended electric-only ops.
Old 01-10-09, 10:23 PM
LexFather

Reading my Business Week tonight and they mention the HS. They claim 40MPG.

I would love this for a daily, sight unseen
Old 01-10-09, 10:59 PM
iKenn
Just call me "Sprinkes"

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Me too. I cant wait, maybe it will be my next car. I need a more gas friendly car for college.
Old 01-11-09, 12:25 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Default HS 250h press conference schedule

Sunday, January 11, 2009
10:50-11:15 am Lexus / Riverview Ballroom

http://naias.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=364

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Reading my Business Week tonight and they mention the HS. They claim 40MPG.

I would love this for a daily, sight unseen
Is this another Lexus blurb in BusinessWeek...an NAIAS preview article perhaps?
Old 01-11-09, 07:49 AM
xcntuatd77
Lead Lap

just started..wheres the video!?!?

lol
Old 01-11-09, 07:58 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quick Reply: Lexus HS 250h...revealed Jan. 11