Old 01-11-09, 01:29 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Brief video from show floor and presser:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/au...lexushs250hf34

NY Times article compared the looks to a 'loofah'

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2009...-for-lexus/?hp

Edmunds article says the HS uses elements off the Avensis platform.

Sales estimates are up to 30,000 units/year...quite a lot. Actually that scared me a bit...some comments on the Corolla/cheap etc. association have me wondering whether this will negatively impact Lexus brand image. But the hybrid benefits etc. make me think that at worst it's a wash.

The Edmunds article suggests the HS sits above the IS and below the ES in the Lexus hierarchy...I hope so. The IS looks better and better. But the interior of the HS is quite nice, but it's not quite a fair comparison as the IS is current gen and the HS next gen. Both seem rather nice to me inside.
Old 01-11-09, 01:33 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

the belt line and side profile really look like the original IS300, especially what they did with the rear window curve. its definately growing on me, and im sure it will look better in a darker color
Old 01-11-09, 01:37 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RXSF
the belt line and side profile really look like the original IS300, especially what they did with the rear window curve. its definately growing on me, and im sure it will look better in a darker color
Agreed, it seems like Lexus again now has an 'oddball' vehicle like it did with the IS 300. And yes a different color may make it look better. But I wish it were a sleeker design (yes I know the Cd is 0.27 but the new Prius looks more aerodynamic).
Old 01-11-09, 02:15 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by encore888
Agreed, it seems like Lexus again now has an 'oddball' vehicle like it did with the IS 300. And yes a different color may make it look better. But I wish it were a sleeker design (yes I know the Cd is 0.27 but the new Prius looks more aerodynamic).
new prius is 0.25... but IS is 0.28... so for what it is, it is quite aerodynamic...
Old 01-11-09, 02:18 PM
ntran18
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm confused. How is this a HYBRID?
Old 01-11-09, 02:19 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
new prius is 0.25... but IS is 0.28... so for what it is, it is quite aerodynamic...
Yes you are right, it is quite aerodynamic...Lexus vehicles are typically class-leading in this category. I think the HS may do well for Europe...in the US it can be a success too...but I think vehicles like the RX 450h and LS 600h L are more typical hybrid brand-leaders for Lexus. The jury's still out on the HS. Efficiency and FWD may work out fine...

Originally Posted by ntran18
I'm confused. How is this a HYBRID?
It's a 4-cyl gas engine coupled with electric motors for 180+ hp.
Old 01-11-09, 02:21 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AJL0365
the moonroof controls are right about the remote touch controller looks like. it looks too high in the back, and should have exposed an exhaust or two, even though if it doesnt do anything, like on the IS-F. the little kit on the front of the bumber needs to go I think, just looks like an tacky add on, and the interior looks plain and drab. looks horrible with that wood color and the grey seats, just like on the new RX. Excluding the LS,LX,SC,and the IS, Lexus needs to put luxury back into their vehicles, for being a step above the IS, the IS is way more lexus like in terms of looks exterior and interior, especially interior.
you would expose exaust on an hybrid? Think about it... :P

Yes, it looks taller at the back... thank god... you will be able to put humans whose head wont brush headliner in there - unlike in all other "proper" lexus's.

:-)
Old 01-11-09, 02:34 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by encore888
Yes you are right, it is quite aerodynamic...Lexus vehicles are typically class-leading in this category. I think the HS may do well for Europe...in the US it can be a success too...but I think vehicles like the RX 450h and LS 600h L are more typical hybrid brand-leaders for Lexus. The jury's still out on the HS. Efficiency and FWD may work out fine...

It's a 4-cyl gas engine coupled with electric motors for 180+ hp.
GS and LS sell in hundred copies per month, worldwide... It is only RX that has done something, and guess what? It is FWD based vehicle too :-).

Who knows what will happen, hopefully it gets sold here too, and due to more efficient packaging, it will sell well too.

35mpg would be quite good, better than strongest 2.2l 177hp diesel in Avensis, and faster too.
Old 01-11-09, 02:39 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it looks pretty good. I don't know why there's so much negativity towards it.

Don't know if anyone pointed this out yet.....

The 2010 Toyota Avensis anyone? You didn't expect Toyota to build this HS platform exclusively now, did ya? Although it doesn't share any actual sheetmetal.
Attached Thumbnails Lexus HS 250h...revealed Jan. 11-t9_ave09_car_gal_002_prev_tcm27-857103.jpg  
Old 01-11-09, 02:39 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Attached Thumbnails Lexus HS 250h...revealed Jan. 11-2009-toyota-avensis.jpg  
Old 01-11-09, 02:41 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
GS and LS sell in hundred copies per month, worldwide... It is only RX that has done something, and guess what? It is FWD based vehicle too :-).

Who knows what will happen, hopefully it gets sold here too, and due to more efficient packaging, it will sell well too.

35mpg would be quite good, better than strongest 2.2l 177hp diesel in Avensis, and faster too.
You're right, and considering RX sales being the brand leader, the HS could add to that. I guess though with the premiere here in NAIAS, they expect the HS main market to still be in N. America...with perhaps limited exports to Europe. No info yet on Lexus Japan's site, but perhaps in Japan and other parts of Asia/Australia too?

The HS is now on the frontpage of Lexus.com
Old 01-11-09, 02:50 PM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Then we should call the entire Infinti and Acura lineups Cimarrons then with that logic.

This still has an amazing hybrid system that BOTTOM LINE INfinit and Acura can't begin to figure out.

I do agree, the exterior design is very blah and Corolla like. Way to similar to me.
I'm going to have to disagree. Neither Acura nor Infinity have a badge-engineered vehicle that rides on a $13k vehicle's chassis sold in their US lineups. And it's true that Acura now has vehicles in their line-up that cost $40k that I wouldn't buy for $13k.

I'm not hating this car because it's small and efficient, I'm hating it because it's a lightly frosted Corolla with a lightly frosted Toyota commodity hybrid drive system. They should have taken the time and really innovated in drive system technology before releasing a car this ugly. Or they should have made it less ugly and kept the regular Toyota hybrid drive system. Or they could have done both and really set an entirely new standard.

What we got is weak all-around.

M.

Last edited by videcormeum; 01-11-09 at 02:55 PM.
Old 01-11-09, 02:58 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by videcormeum
Neither Acura nor Infinity have a badge-engineered vehicle that rides on a $13k vehicle's chassis sold in their US lineups.
Are you saying that the HS250h is a badge-engineered product based on Corolla's chassis with Camry's hybrid engine?

If so I would like to see some sources and evidences of that claim.

The more I read and more I see I think the HS250h is based on the Prius and heavy influenced by the new Avensis. Now take a guess how much is an Avensis going for in Europe...
Old 01-11-09, 03:05 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Lexus at least has the ***** to risk doing this Corolla looking/Prius vehicle here. BMW and Benz are so scared they won't send their small cars here b/c they don't want to dilute their sometimes IMAGINARY view of superiority.

Actually, it's more the case of the American consumer "not getting it" (the idea behind such a car). And why should they? Gas is still relatively "cheap", there's no shortage of parking spaces and Americans still think "big is better". Plus, is there really a demand for such small cars in the US? Hardly. The BMW 135i that is sold in the US is obviously not marketed as an economy car nor is it aimed at your traditional older BMW buyer in the US. That car appeals to the younger generation. It's a good-looking sporty machine that comes from a prestigeous company and radiates a lot of "machoness" from it, too. This is the car that a young car enthusiast looking for fun will aspire to own, not an older buyer who would probably go for a 5 series or 7 series and baby it.

My wife, her old folks, they drive a Mercedes B class (gasoline). Now I am not sure what exact model it is but I do know that it is small on the outside, yet vast on the inside. I felt more cramped inside my sisters IS250 or a GS than I did in that thing. Obviously Mercedes did a great job of utilizing interior space to the fullest. The car is very versatile and practical, good on gas (has to be) and even has a very nice interior. I was very impressed with the car the few times I've ridden in it. It's also quiet and very comfortable. It feels like a Mercedes.

I am sure a BMW 1 series feels like a BMW and drives like a BMW too. European consumers obviously expect this. The American consumer won't even think that far. They see a BMW 1 series or an A class from Mercedes and this immediately goes against "What a BMW/Mercedes should be." It's literally that simple.

Furthermore, the 1 series and A- or B class are generally popular with a wide variety of consumers ranging from young to old. Now, I have no official figures or statistics, but I am willing to wager that the vast majority of buyers of these cars in Europe are older people. People who don't need a 3 series or an A4 or a C class or an IS. For such people, these offerings from the big German three are just perfect. A small, versatile premium car that's safe, well-built, comes with variety of engine options and trim levels. What's there not to like?

I am not sure if the HS250h even competes with the 1 series etc. It basically still looks like an IS so your typical Lexus buyer won't think negative of it. And if we're honest, the type of people buying an HS250h are probably going to be the very quiet crowd. The folks that don't race at stoplights or don't say much. They'll go for the car because they think they're doing mother nature a favor and it'll make them feel good in their little world.

By the way, that BMW 1 series you posted was obviously a cheaper trim model. Cheaper trims are essential in Europe. Everyone offers them except Rolls Royce, Bentley, Maybach, Aston Martin, Lamborghini, Ferrari, Porsche and Lexus.
Old 01-11-09, 03:08 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts
Default New Lexus HS250h

is bigger than the IS. What do you guys/gals think of it's styling and the direction Lexus is going? A new Lexus sedan does not come along often...

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/detro...-live/1278698/

Quick Reply: Lexus HS 250h...revealed Jan. 11