HS 250h Model (2010-2012)

Lexus HS 250h...revealed Jan. 11

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-09, 10:58 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If that grill is the future of Lexus hybrid products, I hope Lexus at least modifies it to look less like a shield and more like a conventional grill. CL members unite, if enough of us complain about the grill Lexus should eventually listen .

Overall though, the exterior is highly dissapointing. While the new RX has grown on me (and looked pretty good from the beginning), the HS exterior has not grown on me at all. That tacky body kit really makes it look bad. I think it's inexcusable for a Lexus to have tacked on bits on the exterior. It looks really out of place.

The interior is nice in most areas, but the door panels are inexcusable. Like the exterior, they resemble a mundane Toyota Corolla too much. Even if the car has no ties with the Corolla or shares no parts with it, it doesn't change the fact that the resemblance is there.
Old 04-22-09, 11:47 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Terrapin
I'm not sure what is going on with automotive sytlists. If you don't like the HS grill, just look at the disaster that has befallen Acura - all of theirs have some hideous grill. Maybe we will get used to it over time, who knows? No doubt they all have "focus groups" and such to help decide these things, but you wonder who is on them given the overwhelmingly negative reaction from auto mags and forums like this.
I don't mind the Acura grilles so much. Today I saw a new TL fly past me doing 90mph in the left lane. It stood out in the crowd of average looking cars. Sure the TL looked polarizing yet it still made a presence and said look at me and look at me now. One thing I have to give Acura credit for is that Acura is trying to take its design to the next level. The designs may not win everyone over but they Acura sure is trying to be risky.

A few seconds after the TL past me, a silver ES350 past me. Wow was the ES350 boring and bland. I now know why Motor Trend once called it the "Wal-Mart of luxury cars"...I'll take the TL.

As for the HS. I didn't mind it all that much at the auto show I attended. It looked as if Toyota is aiming this Lexus at a class below the current crop of Lexus models. It appears more of an entry level sedan than it does a luxury car. I guess I can sum it up as Lexus is trying to make the HS more mainstream than upper class luxury. I can live with the front end. I like it better than the current ES.

One thing for sure is...the upcoming HS would of been an u'ber hit if it was released in 2005 or 2006. When it comes to market later this year, I expect lukewarm reactions and sales.

Last edited by pagemaster; 04-23-09 at 12:01 AM.
Old 04-29-09, 01:15 PM
spinout180
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Aurora White Pearl is paint code 078.
Old 05-01-09, 01:03 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

I've seen the HS250h both in Matador Red and Smoky Granite Mica just last weekend at Lexus HQ. I personally think it looks a lot better in different colors.
Old 05-01-09, 08:26 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have also seen the HS in Smokey Granite in person, which looked somewhat better than the silver seen in pictures, but I am still 100% disappointed in this car. I just cannot believe that this is what they came up with for the world's first dedicated luxury hybrid- it's pathetic. Look at the splash that the Prius made, partially because it was something completely different and unlike anything before it, and also because it was packed with so much new technology.

The exterior styling of the HS is bland and cheap, the interior is equally as drab and downmarket looking (less wood trim than a Corolla), it uses the Camry's Hybrid system, and rides on the European Avensis platform. I fail to see what is so great about something that truly is and looks like a conglomerate of many other, less expensive and less sophisticated pieces (by Lexus standards).

I could even swallow the styling if there was something about this car that was redeeming, but there isn't. It's using the 2.4L 2AZ-FE as the heart of it's hybrid system...an engine that debuted in 2002. I had it in my previous Camry and it's an awful, buzzy powerplant so I hope that Lexus has made some tweaks. Furthermore, Toyota has released a brand new 2.5L 4 cylinder that is miles ahead of the old 2AZ so why was that not used for this brand new Lexus, the world's first dedicated luxury hybrid? We are now in the age of direct injection and that started for Lexus in 2006 with the GS and IS models. Valvematic is just around the corner and has already been implemented in some other parts of the world. Why does the HS go without any of these technologies? Where is the gas saving/hybrid innovation in the world's first luxury hybrid?!

I know it's theoretical but if the HS has been endowed with the more powerful, more efficient 2.5L AR 4 cyl and even just direct injection (let alone Valvemetic), we would have easily been looking at a combined output of 200-215hp and probably 43-45mpg combined. THAT is what is so frustrating about this car- what it could have been!

The interior is just awful for anything that will wear the circle L emblem

vs.

or even

There is no comparison between the HS, and the IS and ES and I don't even like the ES interior very much.

Truthfully I would rather have a Camry hybrid and pocket the extra cash...better looking and has the same hybrid technology, plus costs less. Or just buy an IS 250 and take a 5mpg penalty in combined driving- it's more than worth it.
Old 05-01-09, 08:48 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
I've seen the HS250h both in Matador Red and Smoky Granite Mica just last weekend at Lexus HQ. I personally think it looks a lot better in different colors.
Looking better doesn't help much if it still looks like a Toyota brand car rather than a Lexus.

The fact is the appearance of this car inside and out is unbecoming of a car that wears the Lexus logo.

To be honest, I think the 1IS has the same problem, & I hate the fact that they are coming out with another one like that ...
Old 05-01-09, 11:14 AM
LexFather

Yeah I feel the arguments and they are VERy solid points. Thing is Benz does it with the A/B class and the hatchback C class (which is based on the OLD one). BMW does it with their 1 series hatches but to keep the snobs here happy, only bring us the coupes. Audi has a wonderful A3 that is basically a golf but it doesn't sell b/c of price let alone A2 etc.

So honestly, this is quite German in that its offering something that maybe should not be offered by the brand. What is very very very very odd is that its NOT going to be sold in Europe initially and I can only summise its b/c the Avensis is sold there.

What keeps Acura at Tier toilet is they simply rebage the Euro Accord here as a TSX with not one damn change but the Lords of the Ring grill. Here Lexus has given the car compeltely new sheetmetal, a completely new interior that uses biodegradable plastics etc etc and the engine is mated to a battery so its a hybrid. Its not a rebadge at all.

With the economy down the toilet and with people trending away from "obvious" purchases of luxury, this may really be a hit. Buyers can say "hey I bought it b/c its the first car that is basically recycable and I get 35 MPG".

On the other hand the styling and interior may leave buyers cold "this is a Lexus" and it might sell poorly and be a rare Lexus miss.

It will be interesting to see what sales goals are.

Mike, great points, really.
Old 05-01-09, 11:30 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The sales goal is 30,000 for 1st full year.
Old 05-01-09, 02:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301

I haven't formally reviewed an HS yet (I will), but already, from your picture, I can see three flaws inside. First, the NAV screen looks cheap and tacky. Second, there's no wood on the dash/console, as befits most proper Lexuses (just covering the power-window switches doesn't cut it), and, Third, the little Prius-type transmission tab sticking out of the dash. The new 2010 Prius, fortunately, moved the shifter back to the console where it belongs....why Lexus didn't do that with the HS beats me. I'm not a big fan of the console mouse-decice for the NAV screen in the RX, but I'll wait and see how well it operates in the HS before making any comments on it.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-01-09 at 02:11 PM.
Old 05-01-09, 02:21 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

I think the new HS interior is not that bad actually, it is the exterior which feels out of place a la 1IS.
Old 05-01-09, 02:50 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by encore888
I think the new HS interior is not that bad actually, it is the exterior which feels out of place a la 1IS.
I agree, pretty downmarket for Lexus.
Old 05-01-09, 07:15 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
Looking better doesn't help much if it still looks like a Toyota brand car rather than a Lexus.

The fact is the appearance of this car inside and out is unbecoming of a car that wears the Lexus logo.

To be honest, I think the 1IS has the same problem, & I hate the fact that they are coming out with another one like that ...
Well that is one of the main targets for Lexus, the entry level luxury car buyer ready to graduate from a mainstream brand into a luxury car brand. The HS I think is the perfect stepping stone into 2 categories, hybrid tech, and the luxury car market. This is also the perfect car for those who are ready to graduate from the Prius and step into something a bit more upscale.

The 1IS although underpowered in it's class did well in it's own respects. It's one of the cars that got me excited about the brand after the 2GS. The HS is not your typical Lexus model. It's out of the box like the 1IS was. I think once you guys experience this car in person, it may surprise you. I was there at the World Debut in Detroit in January. I had the chance to have dinner with the Chief Engineer and his wife and got to spend a good time both inside and outside the car. So far so good, I like what I see. I will be driving the HS very soon. I have kept my expectations low for now, but i've been told the HS drives a lot better overall than the Prius. I don't doubt it.
Old 05-01-09, 07:22 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

On the other hand the styling and interior may leave buyers cold "this is a Lexus" and it might sell poorly and be a rare Lexus miss.

It will be interesting to see what sales goals are.

Mike, great points, really.
Lexus has been a trendsetter and a benchmark. The luxury SUV was a first, so was a luxury crossover SUV. The Germans did not have anything until Lexus ventured in those directions. Look at hybrid technology. The Germans did not warmup to until now. Look at Mercedes for example...S400 Blue Hybrid. Everyone doubted Lexus at the beginning...but where are they now compared to the competition...it's obvious who's taken the lead to move forward. Everyone is so fixated on the HS looking like a Corolla. I don't think that will be erased from anyones mind as that is what their first impression is of the car from just internet posted photos.
Old 05-01-09, 08:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
Lexus has been a trendsetter and a benchmark. The luxury SUV was a first, so was a luxury crossover SUV.
Only as far as Japanese-designed Luxury SUVs go. The luxury Range Rover has been in production since 1970.

Everyone is so fixated on the HS looking like a Corolla. I don't think that will be erased from anyones mind as that is what their first impression is of the car from just internet posted photos.
I don't see any problem with it looking somewhat like a Corolla. The IS200/300, for example, was a rebadged Toyota Altezza....and few people seeemed to mind.
Old 05-01-09, 09:05 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Lexus deserves credit for starting the luxury crossover segment with the RX; the HS seems to be their attempt to start another entry-hybrid luxury segment. Whether this will pan out is anybody's guess, but I think it has a reasonable chance of success.

Quick Reply: Lexus HS 250h...revealed Jan. 11