HS 250h Model (2010-2012)

Lexus HS 250h...revealed Jan. 11

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-09, 11:01 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Lack of visible exhaust and rear wiper makes the 3RX look more futuristic than the 2RX. Also I think it's quite clear that the 3RX hybrid with LED lamps looks more modern and futuristic than any 2RX.
It's more of a clean sheet approach if you want to call it that. It's more simplified than futuristic. The LED headlamp technology is slowly filtering across the Lexus line, but they are pricey. Did you know one headlamp assembly for the LS600hL is just under $5K MSRP? They aren't cheap. Sure they are futuristic, but they are options for the 3RX you will rarely see. Call me biased but I have a 2RX in the garage, and I still think the design is a lot more appealing than the 3RX. That's just preference.

Point is, the 3RX has a very clean and sleek design that fits the rest of the lineup.
The HS has a clean design in person. I will agree it's not a photogenic car as everything look flat and slabsided, but the 3RX is the same way in photos. Have you ever seen the HS up close and in person or have you only seen it in photos or an auto show turntable display?

The HS on the other hand does not fit the rest of the lineup. The grill is awkward and not as good-looking as concept vehicles.
Don't be surprised to see the grille again. In my opinion the grille looks a little bit of Ford, but it's not something that bothers me. The HS you see is pretty much production ready.

There is NO reason for that tacky bodykit. No Lexus in history has had such a tacky body kit from the factory, so my question is *why* was this approved for the HS? I'm sure you agree Flip the body kit does not add to the car, and it detracts from the Lexus brand overall.

The first IS was close to being sent out to the US from the factory with the kit we all know as the TRD Elegant kit. Sadly it was removed for production, but later partially offered as L-Tuned for the US. You and a few others may think it's tacky but I don't. Maybe i'm the minority here but I actually like the factory kits for the Corolla S/XRS and the Camry SE. I liked the TRD Elegant kit on the concept IS so much...I put the same kit on my 04 IS300.

You would choose an HS over an IS250? Really? I guess it's a matter of personal preference, but the HS is FWD.
I feel the IS250 is underpowered and pricey for what it is. It' gets so-so gas mileage and it's pretty slow. Sure it's small inside, but if I was in that market for a vehicle in that price point, i'd look for something a bit more substantial. The ES350 is too big and the IS250 is small and underpowered. The HS would be a right fit. It's very roomy inside and it has a lot of features unique to the HS. Granted I own an 2009 IS F now (prior to that an 07 GS350) my F is way overpriced in comparison, but then again I bought the F for the performance aspect, not it's size or price.

It does have double wishbone rear suspension and it likely is sportier and handles better than the ES, but not the IS. Besides, the IS is due for a redesign soon.
Comparing a RWD to a FWD isn't a really fair comparison in the handling category, and the fact that the HS has extra weight from the batteries and is a FWD. I've been told the HS is more fun to drive than the Prius, and I believe it. Is it more fun than an IS250? None of us know that for a fact, but I will be able to tell you guys after I get behind the wheel next week at the HSh/ISc press event. The IS may be due for a redesign soon, but the IS and the HS are in different categories. It may seem as overlap, but they both have different dynamics.

Based on all the comments I've seen from Lexus owners/enthusiasts as well as other enthusiasts, the main issue people have with the HS is that horrid body kit which has a very tacked-on look to it. Just by taking the body kit off the HS would look better. I hope Toyota pays attention to this criticism and gets rid of the body kit accordingly.
In the big picture, the enthusiast community (forum based) is only a small fraction of a percentage out there. The main issue people have with the car is from what they see in pictures. Plus most of the people complaining about it have no intention of buying this car or are in the market to buy it. Only a few of you have seen this car up close in person...and if that on a turntable at an auto show. It's funny, but one of the things I complimented the Chief Engineer at Detroit about the HS was the fact it had the aero kit on the vehicle. He did confirm it is something that will be standard across the board. I feel if the HS didn't have the kit, it would look a lot more bland than what we see now. I too was a critic of this car seeing the photos before it was released. Seeing the car in person is a different story. I can't convince you guys otherwise but I would give it a chance before slamming it right away.

If the HS was a Toyota model, I'd be fine with the tacky body kit but because the HS is a Lexus model, it must be held to much higher standards and there is absolutely no excuse in having such a badly integrated, tacky kit on a Lexus model.
It's all a matter of preference. Should Lexus offer it as an option or not? Who knows.

Last edited by flipside909; 05-07-09 at 11:16 AM.
Old 05-07-09, 11:21 AM
RXSF

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

the LS600HL LEDs are 5000 mrsp because its always going to be more expensive if you buy them after you have the car. Plus, the LS ha 3 LED bulbs per side, and the RX only has 2. Im guessthing they cant be more than 3K together from the factory
Old 05-07-09, 12:08 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
Yes they do, I've seen tons of them in Dubai, so maybe they are available in other middle eastern countries too ...

A couple outside our Dubai hotel :

my mistake. Aside from UAE I don't know of anywhere else that Lexus sells the ES. Perhaps you may know?

Upon further research. Toyota sells the Sequoia and Avalon in these markets at well, however there are no hybrids available according to the websites. Toyota also uses the older GS300 engine and IS uses the 3.0
Old 05-07-09, 12:15 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The ES has been Lexus' top seller in South Korea, Taiwan, etc.
Old 05-07-09, 12:58 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pagemaster
Toyota also uses the older GS300 engine and IS uses the 3.0
They both actually use a version of the GR V6 (3.5L in GS350 and IS350) but it does not have direct injection. I believe this is due to their lower quality gasoline in that part of the world. It's not an "old" engine, just different from what we have ever had here.
Old 05-07-09, 01:04 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Toyota also uses the older GS300 engine and IS uses the 3.0
Actually the Middle East markets including the Philippines uses the 3.0L 3UR engine from the 06 GS300, not to be mistaken with the 2JZ-GE 3.0L I6 from the SC/GS/IS.
Old 05-07-09, 01:49 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by flipside909
Actually the Middle East markets including the Philippines uses the 3.0L 3UR engine from the 06 GS300, not to be mistaken with the 2JZ-GE 3.0L I6 from the SC/GS/IS.
You mean 3GR right?
Old 05-07-09, 02:05 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by ffpowerLN
You mean 3GR right?
Ooops that is correct. The 3GR-FE/FSE 3.0L V6 is in the 06 GS and 2IS of those markets. 3UR is the 5.7 V8.

Been living in the fast lane of the 2UR-GSE...there are too many engine designations.
Old 05-08-09, 12:39 AM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my mistake. Aside from UAE I don't know of anywhere else that Lexus sells the ES. Perhaps you may know?

Upon further research. Toyota sells the Sequoia and Avalon in these markets at well, however there are no hybrids available according to the websites. Toyota also uses the older GS300 engine and IS uses the 3.0
Japan. Remember the Toyota Windom? That's the ES before Japan got the Lexus brand.
Old 05-08-09, 02:15 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by Nextourer
Japan. Remember the Toyota Windom? That's the ES before Japan got the Lexus brand.
Actually the Toyota Windom didn't come about until the 2nd Generation ES (1992-1996). It was the Toyota Vista/Toyota Camry platform that started it all for the ES250 (1990-1991).
Old 05-08-09, 05:57 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

There is no ES350 in Japan right now though, & the model has been launched for 3 model years here, even the new RX is officially a Lexus in Japan now ...
Old 05-08-09, 03:00 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
Actually the Toyota Windom didn't come about until the 2nd Generation ES (1992-1996). It was the Toyota Vista/Toyota Camry platform that started it all for the ES250 (1990-1991).
Ahh ok, I didnt' realise the ES250 was not the Windom and still called the Vista.

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
There is no ES350 in Japan right now though, & the model has been launched for 3 model years here, even the new RX is officially a Lexus in Japan now ...
Really? so they "killed" the ES/Windom after the launch of the Lexus brand?
Old 05-08-09, 03:57 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Yes, the Windom was discontinued after Lexus was introduced in Japan, but there hasn't been an ES for Japan though.
Old 05-08-09, 06:01 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I never knew this. So the ES is a rebadge.
Old 05-08-09, 06:20 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

I never knew this. So the ES is a rebadge.
That's a matter of debate, the ES existed before the Windom did, so it can be said that the Windom was a rebadge of the ES. Fundamentally though, they are both based on the Camry platform.

JDM Windom ads also played up that it was the equivalent of the Lexus ES in the US.

Anyhow, back to the HS, I think a photoshop job could fix the front end, and the rear, those IMO are what affects the car's image the most.

Quick Reply: Lexus HS 250h...revealed Jan. 11