HS 250h Model (2010-2012)

Lexus HS 250h...revealed Jan. 11

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-09, 06:45 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I do. Lexus used to be with BMW in having the lowest weight in class. Weight affects MPG and handling.

Can someone get us Avensis weight from Europe?
Avensis wagon weighs around 3,170 lbs...couldn't find it for the sedan.

Additionally, I agree with your points and Threxx's above.

Lexus cars need to go on a diet. BAD.
Old 05-27-09, 01:34 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So some of you want Lexus models to be super-light, yet to feel solid and have that "bank vault" feeling? You can't have it both ways. You cannot cheat the laws of physics.

To have that "bank vault" feeling in a car, it MUST be somewhat heavy (in most cases, excluding the use of super-expensive exotic materials). That is just physics right there. Also in terms of safety, it's also physics and you can't cheat physics in this case either.

Fact is a heavier vehicle, with a larger surface area having more metal covering the body, will always be safer in a collision than a lighter, equally sized or smaller vehicle with a less substantial body structure.

Some of the safest vehicles in the world are all very heavy.

I don't see anyone complaining about chassis rigidity on Subarus, yet Subarus for their class are quite heavy. This is due to the substanstial body structure Subaru builds into every vehicle for high safety.

Chassis rigidity seems very solid on the new RX. Fuel economy has gone up compared to the 2RX, despite the weight increase. Power has gone up as well, and that solid "bank vault" feeling is there in the 3RX more than it is in the 2RX. Acceleration remains roughly the same for the gas model, with the 450h being faster and more economical than the 400h.

Weight with the 3RX has not affected the handling, as the 3RX is more agile than the 2RX and fuel economy has gone up. So I don't see a big downside here. Lexus engineers did wonders to negate virtually all the problems that come with increased curb weight.
Old 05-27-09, 02:08 PM
RXSF

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

Chassis rigidity seems very solid on the new RX. Fuel economy has gone up compared to the 2RX, despite the weight increase. Power has gone up as well, and that solid "bank vault" feeling is there in the 3RX more than it is in the 2RX. Acceleration remains roughly the same for the gas model, with the 450h being faster and more economical than the 400h.

Weight with the 3RX has not affected the handling, as the 3RX is more agile than the 2RX and fuel economy has gone up. So I don't see a big downside here. Lexus engineers did wonders to negate virtually all the problems that come with increased curb weight.
actually, gas mileage did not go up on the 3RX. it stayed the same at 18/24/25. but very impressive still with the weight increase. the RX with combined 30 is almost a miracle, but imagine what it would be without the weight increase!
Old 05-27-09, 02:54 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RXSF
actually, gas mileage did not go up on the 3RX. it stayed the same at 18/24/25. but very impressive still with the weight increase. the RX with combined 30 is almost a miracle, but imagine what it would be without the weight increase!
Not true. 2009 RX EPA ratings are 18/23 for 2WD and 17/22 for AWD. 2010 RX ratings are 18/25 2WD and 18/24 AWD. So apples to apples, EPA numbers to EPA numbers, fuel economy on the new RX did go up, even with the weight increase.
Old 05-27-09, 06:30 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Not true. 2009 RX EPA ratings are 18/23 for 2WD and 17/22 for AWD. 2010 RX ratings are 18/25 2WD and 18/24 AWD. So apples to apples, EPA numbers to EPA numbers, fuel economy on the new RX did go up, even with the weight increase.
These numbers here are correct. Fuel economy.gov lists these.

As I recall, Lexus originally said 28/26 for the 450h. Officially its rated for 32/28 (FWD) and 30/28 (AWD). That is very impressive. Direct inject it and add cylinder deactivation. I'm no engineer but I don't see why we could have an RX hybrid that gets 34/32 with that tech. Who is worried about CAFE standards?

...yes, this is what I think about when I am bored.
Old 05-27-09, 07:02 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Avensis wagon weighs around 3,170 lbs...couldn't find it for the sedan.

Additionally, I agree with your points and Threxx's above.

Lexus cars need to go on a diet. BAD.
lets not jump to the conclusion...

.... Avensis Sedan with top equipment and diesel engine with automatic transmission weights 3600lb. This car still does not have equipment that HS250h gets.

And Avensis is one of the lightest cars in the class which give it advantage in mpg and acceleration.

IS220d with manual weights 3650lb in Europe, and it is smaller vehicle than HS250h.

Obviously HS gets good numbers in both acceleration and MPG so who cares what the listed weight is? We speculated for RX, that Toyota started showing different weight numbers in order to conform with how rest of the industry is showing these numbers.

Last edited by spwolf; 05-27-09 at 07:14 PM.
Old 05-27-09, 07:14 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
These numbers here are correct. Fuel economy.gov lists these.

As I recall, Lexus originally said 28/26 for the 450h. Officially its rated for 32/28 (FWD) and 30/28 (AWD). That is very impressive. Direct inject it and add cylinder deactivation. I'm no engineer but I don't see why we could have an RX hybrid that gets 34/32 with that tech. Who is worried about CAFE standards?

...yes, this is what I think about when I am bored.
i doubt either of those two would add significant mpg gain, as hybrids shut off complete engine quite often as well as having atkinson cycle .

but thanks for original rx450h numbers, i knew they seemed higher now then what they originally said!
Old 05-30-09, 10:02 AM
spinout180
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Lexus HS Paint, Engine, Chassis codes plus brochures and commercials

Here is the chart of color for the US-Spec HS. If you see an error please post it here and I will correct the page and graphic ASAP. You can upload a photo of your car by clicking on the graphic, then clicking on the appropriate camera icon next to your color.

If you need me to update the chart please post your model year (or production date), color code and a description or photo of your car. For now this is for US-Spec cars only, I will add other countries in the future.
Old 05-30-09, 10:07 AM
spinout180
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Just added chassis code (ANF10) and the paint code for new Silver Opal Mica (1H0).
Old 05-30-09, 10:17 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

I went to the supermarket today and when I came back out I could have sworn there was the new Lexus HS250h parked next to my car - but it turned out to be the new Euro Toyota Avensis.

It's about time that Lexus creates a small car that is biased towards good fuel economy and low emissions but from a styling perspective this car is a huge letdown. Lexus was doing such a great job with their sedan styling. They were giving them their own design language which could be identified as Lexus (and not Toyota) and the trend was ruined when the HS250h came along. I am sorry if I am offending anyone here but perhaps I notice the Toyota connection right away because I live in Europe where the Toyota Avensis is sold.

There is no doubt in my mind that this car is solid and engineered to Lexus standards, but the design is a letdown. A major letdown.
Old 05-30-09, 11:02 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

yeah shame on lexus for making their cars look more like toyota. it cheapens the look.

black opal mica..... sounds interesting. i have to see that color. sounds like a black metallic.
Old 05-30-09, 05:37 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by spwolf
i doubt either of those two would add significant mpg gain, as hybrids shut off complete engine quite often as well as having atkinson cycle .

but thanks for original rx450h numbers, i knew they seemed higher now then what they originally said!
I disagree. Here's why. In driving the 400h I know that the gasoline engine turns on if you go over 20 MPH or if you push the gas pedal about 1/3 of the way down. That turns on all 3.3L's. But you don't need that much power from the ICE. Imagine the fuel savings if you were only using half of it. Same goes with Hwy cruising. You are all ready getting 10-20 Kw of power from the electric motor, running on 3 or 4 cylinders is more than enough to keep the vehicle moving. It worked on Accord hybrid.

Direct injection gives an average vehicle economy gains of about 10%. It seems logical to me to DI a hybrid. When a hybrid has a low battery the ICE charges. DI would enable the ICE to run more efficiently, reducing the amount of fuel used to charge that battery along with the amount of time the ICE is on.
Old 05-30-09, 09:46 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by dunnojack
yeah shame on lexus for making their cars look more like toyota. it cheapens the look.

black opal mica..... sounds interesting. i have to see that color. sounds like a black metallic.
We coulda got this

Old 05-31-09, 10:36 AM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"And if the truth be known, the package added up to a car that we thought handled better than the rear-drive IS Convertible. In fact, we drove them back-to-back just to make sure. We're not saying it could outperform the IS 350C, but in terms of meeting our expectations for cornering, steering, and feedback – sheer handling enjoyment– the HS wins."

wow
Old 05-31-09, 03:17 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Originally Posted by Nextourer
wow
where is that quote from?

Quick Reply: Lexus HS 250h...revealed Jan. 11