HS 250h Model (2010-2012)

Who is considering buying an HS?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-09, 07:46 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by coasterfan
It's too bad Lexus currently has only one vehicle that meets that criteria (the RX450h), and that one is too expensive to qualify for the Cash For Clunkers credit.

Sigh.
if you can afford to get the RX450h, get it. imho, it's a great vehicle.
Old 08-20-09, 10:01 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd consider buying a Venza hybrid.
Old 08-21-09, 12:41 PM
Hitsme
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I extended my ES350 lease (from the end of May) and I have my deposit on one coming in to Longo in LA which should arrive around the end of August, BUT I don't at all like some of the things I'm hearing and reading. Seriously considering moving my deposit off to an IS convertible or a replacement ES.

"It's noisy"
"4 cyl whines like up sub-compact going up hill"
"Doesn't qualify as a luxury car in terms of ride and overall feel"
"Looks like poo"

Last edited by Hitsme; 08-21-09 at 12:41 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-21-09, 01:30 PM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Hitsme
I extended my ES350 lease (from the end of May) and I have my deposit on one coming in to Longo in LA which should arrive around the end of August, BUT I don't at all like some of the things I'm hearing and reading. Seriously considering moving my deposit off to an IS convertible or a replacement ES.

"It's noisy"
"4 cyl whines like up sub-compact going up hill"
"Doesn't qualify as a luxury car in terms of ride and overall feel"
"Looks like poo"
Wait for the HS250h I drove it it was not noisy at all as a matter of fact you could not even hear the gas engine run or anything from under the hood I could have sworn it was total electric. I was taken up a decent hill never heard a peep out of it just steady good acceleration all the way up it. I was very pleased with it totally. (On a serious note I missed hearing the engine even a little) This rode as good as my previous LS total luxury. IMHO it looks good. I had a full demo of the navigation and this blew me away I was amazed at what can be done with it.
Old 08-21-09, 02:25 PM
Hitsme
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by herbvdh
Wait for the HS250h I drove it it was not noisy at all as a matter of fact you could not even hear the gas engine run or anything from under the hood I could have sworn it was total electric. I was taken up a decent hill never heard a peep out of it just steady good acceleration all the way up it. I was very pleased with it totally. (On a serious note I missed hearing the engine even a little) This rode as good as my previous LS total luxury. IMHO it looks good. I had a full demo of the navigation and this blew me away I was amazed at what can be done with it.
I did see it and got the nav demo at Longo's "Launch" event a couple of weeks ago. I kinda like the looks. The nav and joy stick technology are wonderful. It was only a showroom event, so no test drive.

I'm going to wait for "mine" to arrive and take it for a nice long drive before making the final decision. If I like the touch and feel, I'll go ahead with the buy. If anyone points and laughs as I drive by, it's toast. I hate to be shallow (I do live in L.A. so it comes naturally), but the fact that so many other people don't like the looks bothers me.
Old 08-22-09, 10:46 AM
LexFather

I did see it and got the nav demo at Longo's "Launch" event a couple of weeks ago. I kinda like the looks. The nav and joy stick technology are wonderful. It was only a showroom event, so no test drive.

I'm going to wait for "mine" to arrive and take it for a nice long drive before making the final decision. If I like the touch and feel, I'll go ahead with the buy. If anyone points and laughs as I drive by, it's toast. I hate to be shallow (I do live in L.A. so it comes naturally), but the fact that so many other people don't like the looks bothers me.
Well bub it could be way worse, you could chose to buy a new Acura with the beak. Outside of laughter you might get sued for making kids run out into the street when you drive by.
Old 08-22-09, 11:23 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

I'm still waiting for the day when the major auto makers decide that high efficiency hybrids don't have to be ugly. That will be a break through, out of the rut the Prius started.
Old 08-24-09, 11:12 PM
Hitsme
Driver School Candidate

Got the call today. Mine is scheduled to arrive tonight and should be ready for me to test drive during the day on Tuesday. By Tuesday night, I just might be an HS250h owner . . . or not.
Old 08-25-09, 01:38 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
I'm still waiting for the day when the major auto makers decide that high efficiency hybrids don't have to be ugly. That will be a break through, out of the rut the Prius started.

Old 08-25-09, 01:39 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Got the call today. Mine is scheduled to arrive tonight and should be ready for me to test drive during the day on Tuesday. By Tuesday night, I just might be an HS250h owner . . . or not.
Good luck with the test drive! Keep us posted.

FYI I saw the car in person this weekend and think it looks much better in the "sheetmetal" than in pictures.
Old 08-25-09, 10:25 PM
Hitsme
Driver School Candidate

Well, boys and girls, I like it. I like it a lot.

I drove "mine" this afternoon, and then another this evening at another dealer so I could get an idea of competitive pricing policies before doing the deal.

OK, it's not sporty and it's not exhilarating, but it is down right fun to drive. "Mine" is fully loaded with everything but the Levinson stereo which isn't on any cars delivered to the western region so far. It has an unbelievable array of toys at your fingertips, and it's a kick in the butt to be sitting there controlling all this stuff.

The ride is very nice. The noise level is fine. The acceleration is more than acceptable.

Back to the competitive part. . . neither dealer had any intention of dropping a penny off MSRP, and I get the impression that even my standard 5 to 6 hours of final sit down over the desk auto negotiation is not going to change that.

Anyone know what the Tier 1 money factor should be for this puppy on a 36 month lease? The first offer from these two today, sans negotiation was .00275 and .00245, but I'm thinking .00215 or less is were it should be.

Bottom line - I'm gonna do it
Old 08-26-09, 03:30 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
FYI I saw the car in person this weekend and think it looks much better in the "sheetmetal" than in pictures.
Heh...I knew you would have a change of heart. Now go drive one!
Old 08-26-09, 06:57 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by flipside909
Heh...I knew you would have a change of heart. Now go drive one!
It still has Corolla-esque design qualities (IMO) but the car is so much larger than a Corolla (almost as big as the ES) that it really takes a side by side comparison to see the similarities. I think the ride height, upright appearance, and body kit are what I dislike most because the actual sheetmetal isn't too bad.

It's not as much of a glaring "cheap Toyota" design as I had expected.
Old 08-26-09, 07:45 AM
jniemann42
Driver School Candidate

Mine is reserved and supposed to be arriving Friday (reserved it after seeing a pre-production model). If anyone manages to pick one up for anything under MSRP it would be nice to know. I'll echo everyone else, it looks much better in person than any of the pictures show.
Old 08-29-09, 01:41 PM
Argelius
Pole Position

I was |_____| close to getting an HS until I realized it's got the same crappy iPod interface as the rest of Lexus' fleet. For such a technologically-advance car, they should have upgraded the Nav system (with more eye candy like bird's eye view, 3D) and much more sophisticated and complete iPod integration. Think I'll hold off for a year or so and see if they get around to updating their infotainment system...

Quick Reply: Who is considering buying an HS?