HS 250h Model (2010-2012)

Mark Levinson availability?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-09, 07:51 AM
Argelius
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mark Levinson availability?

I was just "building my Lexus" and after equipping an HS with every option available (basically I just checked the "technology package" which includes everything), I see that the Mark Levinson sound system isn't listed amongst the features.

Is it not available (despite being elaborated on in the HS description)?
Old 12-04-09, 08:55 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

it might be a special order item.
Old 12-04-09, 09:16 AM
Argelius
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
it might be a special order item.
Ick. Special Order = DELAY.

Doesn't fit well into my immediate gratification need...
Old 12-04-09, 09:36 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

true. it will delay it by a couple months. again im not sure if they even offer in for the HS but i know some of the IS guys had to have theirs ordered
Old 12-05-09, 08:41 PM
tonyscv
Driver

Believe me... I've searched. In all of SoCal, there was exactly ONE HS250 with Levinson on a dealer lot, which was a special order that someone canceled so they had it in stock. It was somewhat oddly configured Premium with Nav and Levinson as the only options. Stickered for right around $42k IIRC and it didn't last long.

It's absolutely maddening that Lexus has decided to make hundreds of HS250 Premiums in exactly two combinations - NAV only and NAV+tech. The tech package does not include Levinson or LED lights. You won't find a HS on the lot anywhere with Levinson or LED's. You have to order.

FYI - Xenon HID lights are NOT standard. Projector beam halogen lights are standard or LED's as an option.

- T
Old 12-06-09, 04:21 AM
Argelius
Pole Position

I went for my first test drive of an HS (Premium, Nav, Tech) yesterday. Overall I was impressed with the car. I tend to a bit impulsive with my car purchases and told the salesman I'd buy one today if it had Levinson. He repeated what everyone has been saying -- Lexus simply does not build the HS with the Mark Levinson system. He said they get this complaint with some regularity and have complained to the higher-ups at Lexus.

The sales guy surmised that they left it off because they want to keep the car below a certain price point. But to me this makes no sense. Decked out with Nav and Tech, the car's about $46K; adding Levinson moves it to~$48K, which is still below $50K (which I would imagine is a more notable "price point" than $48K...)

Anyway, I can get Levinson if I special order the car. That just changes the psychology of this purchase for me (as stupid as that is...). Dumb move by Lexus.
Old 12-06-09, 03:39 PM
tonyscv
Driver

I've had Levinson before in my IS350 and normally I would insist on it, but I've heard the Levinson in the HS and while there is some difference, it's not enough to justify the cost or the wait in this particular car. The standard system is very good, and I struggled to pick out the sound difference. There is a bit more clarity in the highs with the Levinson but that was really only noticeable with high quality source material. Using MP3s there was very little discernable difference.

If you think the stock system needs improvement, IMO there is very little noticeable difference with the Levinson system, and certainly not enough to justify the cost (and the savings you may have to give up by ordering a car instead of taking one off the lot.

- T
Old 12-07-09, 04:02 AM
Argelius
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tonyscv
...IMO there is very little noticeable difference with the Levinson system, and certainly not enough to justify the cost (and the savings you may have to give up by ordering a car instead of taking one off the lot.

- T
You make an excellent point and may very well be correct. Ultimately, there's more psychology involved here than rational thought. If I get one with the ML, I won't regret it; if I opt for the standard stereo, I'll always wish I had it. Stupid, I know.
Old 12-09-09, 12:04 PM
winsalem
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

"...if I opt for the standard stereo, I'll always wish I had it. Stupid, I know."

Not stupid...at all. To many, Mark Levinson is simply some unknown dude (who was married to Kim Cattrall); to those of us who have owned a Lexus with an ML system, he's a god, right up there with Dr. Amar Bose and Kline Kreisel. I know, false idols, blah blah...but if you really love music, and want to feel it punch you in the gut when it's supposed to, Lexus offers the ML (well, we hope they do on special order hehe). Good for you Argelius! And pls keep us posted.

And yes I know that louder and perhaps 'better' aftermarket systems can be had for less money; but whom do you trust to dismantle an intricate Lexus dashboard, interface with your nav and associated controls, risk invalidating your warranty, and correctly install some ghetto grinder just to save a few bucks? Nah, I'll buy only the factory-installed, warranty-covered enhancements, thank you.
Old 12-09-09, 12:11 PM
Argelius
Pole Position

Originally Posted by winsalem;). [I
And yes I know that louder and perhaps 'better' aftermarket systems can be had for less money; but whom do you trust to dismantle an intricate Lexus dashboard, interface with your nav and associated controls, risk invalidating your warranty, and correctly install some ghetto grinder just to save a few bucks? Nah, I'll buy only the factory-installed, warranty-covered enhancements, thank you.[/I]
I couldn't agree more!

Well, after getting the dealer to knock off $1000, I placed my order (HS Premium, Black/Mica Grey, Nav, tech package, Levinson and LED headlights).

Now the waiting begins...
Old 12-13-09, 09:53 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

A couple of the cars at a dealer here close to Seattle had the LED's and Levinson, and yes the MSRP was $48K. I don't know if I could justify $48K for the HS, or even over $40K... I thought it was a good car overall, but definitely expensive for what you get...
Old 12-15-09, 12:44 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Congrats on your order. Fully loaded HS' are very hard to come by. Most regions are only ordering them as base model, premium package w/Nav, and Tech package w/Nav. There are a few that slip by with ML but that's like a needle in a haystack.
Old 12-25-09, 12:34 AM
benfb
Driver School Candidate

Got my car yesterday with ML stereo and LED headlights. They didn't say it exactly, but my interpretation was that someone ordered the car then cancelled. Prior to this car, I was intending to place a special order myself.
Old 12-25-09, 04:32 AM
Argelius
Pole Position

Originally Posted by benfb
Got my car yesterday with ML stereo and LED headlights. They didn't say it exactly, but my interpretation was that someone ordered the car then cancelled. Prior to this car, I was intending to place a special order myself.
Well, congrats! I'm still (impatiently) waiting for my dealer to call me with a production date from Lexus for my special order...

So, what do you think of the ML and LEDs?
Old 12-25-09, 01:15 PM
benfb
Driver School Candidate

The ML sound system is the best I've heard. My wife's RX has ML sound, but this sounds better, possibly because it's a sedan. People who say the stock sound is good enough need to refine their hearing. Also, the LED headlight are just sooo superior, it can make a big difference if you drive in a dark or tricky area (I live in the country). I am glad I insisted on both options.