HS 250h Model (2010-2012)

I'm (finally) ordering an HS tomorrow: ? about the LED headlights

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-09, 12:35 PM
Argelius
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm (finally) ordering an HS tomorrow: ? about the LED headlights

Well, after lurking about these forums for some time now and getting lots of good information, I've decided to get an HS.

Because I can't live without the Mark Levinson stereo, I'm going to place a special order and patiently await my new car. (And for the sake of this thread, spare me any lectures about how the ML option isn't worth it...that may be true, but I want it anyway).

I would like to hear people's thoughts on the optional LED headlights. That's an $1800 option that I'm not sure is remotely worth it. It sounds cool, but they are just headlights and I live in a big city, so it's not like I drive around along dark country roads where special illumination matters. (As a side note, what's up with a nearly $50K automobile not having HID xenon headlights, let alone LEDs...)

Thoughts on the LED headlights?
Old 12-08-09, 02:08 PM
SS255
Driver School Candidate

I got mine without the LED headlights. I also live in the city, and find the normal headlights to be sufficient. Like you, I didn't want to spend an additional $1,800 on the LED lights when I was already getting the nav system and tech package.
Old 12-08-09, 02:22 PM
Argelius
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SS255
I got mine without the LED headlights. I also live in the city, and find the normal headlights to be sufficient. Like you, I didn't want to spend an additional $1,800 on the LED lights when I was already getting the nav system and tech package.
And, while the LED lights might look cool from the outside, when you are sitting behind the wheel, unless you are facing a mirror, you can't really enjoy them for their coolness...
Old 12-08-09, 03:00 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

can the HS be optioned with just regular bi-xenons?

If its a choice between halogen and LEDs, i would get the LEDs. I dont think I could ever drive a car without the headlights producing white light. Not only does it look cooler from the inside and out, there is a noticable difference in illumination.

Now if you can choice up between bi xenons and LEDs, the regular xenons would be fine and cheaper
Old 12-08-09, 04:06 PM
kyang91
Lexus Champion

Congrats.......I am sure you will like your new car.......
Old 12-08-09, 04:22 PM
LexFather

Congrats....LEDs are better for oncoming traffic and more efficient and won't burn as much energy. However unless you are going to drive ten million miles, one can say the price is not "worth" it.

I say load her up all the way! How many cars have LEDs as headlights? Not many!
Old 12-08-09, 05:03 PM
Argelius
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RXSF
can the HS be optioned with just regular bi-xenons?

If its a choice between halogen and LEDs, i would get the LEDs. I dont think I could ever drive a car without the headlights producing white light. Not only does it look cooler from the inside and out, there is a noticable difference in illumination.

Now if you can choice up between bi xenons and LEDs, the regular xenons would be fine and cheaper
Unfortunately -- and stupidly -- the HS has no HID/xenon option; it's either LEDs or halogen.
Old 12-08-09, 05:04 PM
Argelius
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
...I say load her up all the way! How many cars have LEDs as headlights? Not many!
My general philosophy on cars is to get every possible option. And since I'm ordering the car (because that's the only way you can get the Mark Levinson stereo upgrade), I might as well go for it...
Old 12-08-09, 10:21 PM
tonyscv
Driver

If you're ordering the car and can afford it, why not. LED's also gets you the adaptive lighting system (the lights swivel with your turns) and headlamp washers. Is it all worth $1800? Hell no, but like I said... if you can afford it, it's certainly a unique feature.

That said, the halogens are actually very good on this car. They are projector beam halogens and they are the same color temp as the fog lights so there's no weirdness with two different colors when both systems are on.
Old 12-09-09, 05:14 AM
Argelius
Pole Position

Can anyone post a picture of the non-LED HS headlight (during day with lights off). I'm curious if there's any noticeable difference between the LED and non-LED headlight assembly. All the pics online always seem to show the optioned-out HS with the LEDs.

http://z.about.com/d/alternativefuel..._headlight.jpg
Old 12-09-09, 08:45 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

AFS is a pretty nice feature. its nice to have the headlights turn and light up the road when your turning.

Last edited by IXI187IXI; 12-09-09 at 09:17 AM.
Old 12-09-09, 12:07 PM
tonyscv
Driver

Originally Posted by Argelius
Can anyone post a picture of the non-LED HS headlight (during day with lights off). I'm curious if there's any noticeable difference between the LED and non-LED headlight assembly. All the pics online always seem to show the optioned-out HS with the LEDs.

http://z.about.com/d/alternativefuel..._headlight.jpg
Here you go:

The DRL is the reflector bulb on the far left. The two projector beams to the right of the DRL are the low and high beam halogens.

Old 12-09-09, 12:17 PM
Argelius
Pole Position

Thanks! So it would appear the light assembly looks almost identical....

Well, after getting the dealer to knock off $1000, I placed my order (HS Premium, Black/Mica Grey, Nav, tech package, Levinson and LED headlights).

Now the waiting begins...
Old 12-09-09, 02:16 PM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Argelius
Thanks! So it would appear the light assembly looks almost identical....

Well, after getting the dealer to knock off $1000, I placed my order (HS Premium, Black/Mica Grey, Nav, tech package, Levinson and LED headlights).

Now the waiting begins...
Congratulations on your decision black beautiful on this car and the ML is worth it. You will hear the difference in sound as I got my first ML in 2007 and it is worth it...
Old 12-09-09, 03:07 PM
tonyscv
Driver

Congrats :-) You'll love it!

Quick Reply: I'm (finally) ordering an HS tomorrow: ? about the LED headlights