HS 250h Model (2010-2012)

Need help with kinds in my new HS

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-09, 12:51 AM
benfb
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with kinds in my new HS

I've had my new HS for about 24 hours and I've got a couple of kinks to work out. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

1. Can't get the garage door remotes to recognize my garage door openers. I should mention that my wife's 2006 RX400h works fine.
2. Can't get the aux stereo connection (1/8" stereo plug) to work. Tried with both my mp3 player and my son's notebook.
3. Can't transfer contact list from my phone to car. Bluetooth calling works, but can't get the contact list into it.

Any suggestions?
Old 12-25-09, 04:26 AM
Argelius
Pole Position

I know when I've struggled with this in the past, some of the problem was not realizing how long 20-seconds is when initially getting the car homelink buttons to get into program mode. Seems like an eternity.

In case these instructions help, here is what is from HomeLink's web site:

1. For first time training, press and hold the two outer HomeLink buttons, releasing only when the HomeLink indicator light begins to flash after 20 seconds. (Do not perform this step when training the additional HomeLink buttons.)

2. Position the hand-held transmitter 1-3 inches away from the HomeLink surface (located on your overhead), keeping the HomeLink indicator light in view.

3. Using both hands, simultaneously press and hold both the desired HomeLink button and hand held transmitter button. DO NOT release until the HomeLink indicator light flashes slowly and then rapidly. When the indicator light flashes rapidly, both buttons may be released. (The rapid flashing indicates successful training.)

4. Press and hold the trained HomeLink button and observe the indicator light.

* If the indicator light is solid/continuous, training is complete and your device should activate when the HomeLink button is pressed and released.
* If the indicator light blinks rapidly for 2 seconds and then turns a solid/continuous light, proceed with the following training instructions for a rolling code device. A second person may make the following steps quicker and easier. Please use a ladder or other device. Do not stand on your vehicle to perform the next steps.

5. At the garage door opener receiver (motorhead unit) in the garage, locate the “learn” or “smart” button (usually near where the hanging antenna wire is attached to the unit). If there is difficulty locating the training button, reference the garage door opener’s manual or contact us.

6. Press and release the “learn” or “smart” button (the name and color of the button may vary by manufacturer). NOTE: Once the button is pressed, there are 30 seconds in which to initiate the next step.

7. Return to the vehicle and firmly press and hold the trained HomeLink button for two seconds and release. Repeat the “press/hold/release” sequence up to 3 times to complete the training process.

HomeLink should now activate your device.
Old 12-25-09, 12:56 PM
benfb
Driver School Candidate

Default thanks

I had read the manual with the same instructions, but, inspired by your post, I went out and tried it again. I successfully got them synced now. So that's one problem down. The big question is the Aux MP3 port and how to make that work.
Old 12-25-09, 05:57 PM
benfb
Driver School Candidate

Default solved problem of importing phone contacts

I got my contacts transferred to the car. I have a T-Mobile/Google G1 phone that uses the Android operating system. After some thought, I realized that it wasn't enough to tell the car to go get the contacts, I needed an option on the phone that says "send the contacts." The phone doesn't come with such an option, but there is an Android app called Bluetooth File Transfer that will send anything on your phone and has a specific option for sending the contacts list. So I followed these steps:

1. Linked the phone to the car.
2. Went to the phone menu on the car and clicked on contacts. When it asked me if I wanted to import contacts, I said yes.
3. On the phone, I launched the Bluetooth File Transfer app and told it to send the contacts. It recognized the link to the car, made the connection, gave me a choice of which contacts to send (I set it at all), and then sent them.

Afterwards, I check and everything is there.

Now I only have to solve the problem of the Aux (1/8" audio) input for my MP3 player, plus how to disable the annoying beep when in reverse.
Old 12-27-09, 12:05 AM
bt2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by benfb
I had read the manual with the same instructions, but, inspired by your post, I went out and tried it again. I successfully got them synced now. So that's one problem down. The big question is the Aux MP3 port and how to make that work.
I have a garage door opener that transmits a new code to the door opener each time the garage door is opened. I don't believe this is Homelink. I tried to sync using the instructions but no luck. I read in other places that folks were able to get their Homelink devices to sync, but the universal openers in cars can't be programmed to work with door openers similar to what I have (it is a Kenmore opener, bought in 2003).

Did I miss something?
Old 12-27-09, 07:15 AM
KGenaidy
Driver

From what I understand ... almost all "newer" garage door openers use the "rolling" codes today. My garage door has the rolling codes and I have been able to get both our L's to work with it.

It took me 2 tries to get the HS250h done. I had problems w/steps 2&3 above (I read it but didn't get what it saying). Been a bit now ... but it's a 2 step process:
a) sync garage door remote control to vehicle.
b) then, sync vehicle to the garage door via "learn" mode.

Wife's ES350 was a snap after I figured this out.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-28-09, 06:53 AM
jimmyford1
Driver

Any garage door opener manufactured after 1996 has rolling code technology. After clearing the system (holding 1 & 3 buttons until light flashes rapidly), push learning button found on garage door opener. Within 30 seconds, hold button in car you want programmed while depressing remote. For whatever reason, it sometimes takes multiple attemps of the learning button/remote step before sync take place.
Old 12-29-09, 10:48 AM
tonyscv
Driver

Originally Posted by benfb
Now I only have to solve the problem of the Aux (1/8" audio) input for my MP3 player, plus how to disable the annoying beep when in reverse.
The dealer needs to do that. It's a Lexus Personalized Settings option that only the dealer can modify. The beep will just occur one time when you shift into "R", as opposed to repeatedly.

Just be happy we have the chime we do. The Prius reverse beep is even more obnoxious (and can also be disabled by the dealer).
Old 12-29-09, 03:51 PM
bt2
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the instructions folks. I programmed my HS homelink. The only nit is that I have to press and hold the programmed button in Lexus for a second for it to open/close the garage door. With the original door opener, I only need to press the button and release, for it to open/close the door.

Do you notice the same behavior with your homelink trained button -- i.e. have to push and hold for about a second? I can accept this, but wondering if you noticed the same.
Old 12-29-09, 10:25 PM
RXSF

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

yes, on both of my lexus vehicles and even my benz, you have to hold down the button for at least 2-3 seconds
Old 01-09-10, 12:02 AM
benfb
Driver School Candidate

Got almost everything worked out. The garage door opener works, as I already posted. Got the dealer to reprogram the beep on reverse to just one beep (is this one of those hidden screen things that we customers can learn to access?). Had them replace my 1/8" stereo jack and it works fine.

Other things I've noticed:

1. when you put the car in reverse and back up a bit, and then stop, the traction light will usually come on.
2. The car *always* gets bad gas mileage the first four minutes of driving. Presumably, this is the gas engine warming up and the dealer told me there was nothing I can do about it. So if I had a day of really short trips (say, a mile or two each), then mileage for that day is going to be very bad.
3. As far as I can tell, the Eco Mode doesn't matter on fuel savings. I've tested both in town and on the freeway. The freeway test was more comprehensive and more consistent: there was no difference between have eco mode on or off and also having power mode on or off. For in town driving, I am still testing (most hills and traffic make it hard to do an apples to apples test), but the difference in using eco mode must be small compared to other factors (weather, hills, and driving habits).
4. if you're into music, go with the ML upgrade. I just spent some time in a loaner car without, and I really missed my ML.
5. I have yet to do music bluetooth to the stereo. Just can't get the system to see that anything is out there.
6. Oh, and the HUD is the single best convenience feature since the invention of cruise control.
Old 01-09-10, 12:09 AM
benfb
Driver School Candidate

Ok, one more question: I wanted to buy some OEM Lexus all weather floor mats for the winter. The nice ribbed ones with the Lexus logo. The dealer has stopped selling them due to some law suit or another, but someone somewhere on the Internet should have them. However, I can't find them anyway. So, anybody got recommendations? And if you want to recommend non-OEM, can you explain why? thanks.