HS 250h Model (2010-2012)

Toyota Recalling the 2010 Prius for Brake System Issues - HS250h Next?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-10, 09:34 PM
tonyscv
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It'll be official tomorrow. The HS is being recalled or TSB'd.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35278742...-autos/page/2/

"A fix requires new software that oversees the controls of the antilock brakes and will resolve a delay in the braking, the papers say.

Toyota had earlier said a fix was already in cars in production starting late last month, but the recall includes those cars as well.

The two other hybrids being recalled are the Lexus HS250h sedan, sold in the U.S. and Japan, and the Sai, which is sold only in Japan. The new software for those models is still being worked out, Toyota said.

Toyota's plug-in hybrid is also being recalled in Japan — a largely experimental model for rental and government use, with 159 sold. "

------

Thankfully the Lexus service department will be less crowded than the Toyota dealers these days, so hopefully once a fix is identified we can get the cars in and out of service reasonably quickly.

Last edited by tonyscv; 02-08-10 at 09:46 PM.
Old 02-25-10, 07:28 AM
weatherman
Driver School Candidate

Default HS250h Software Fix Implemented

We put a deposit on our HS250h on 12 Feb 10 while Lexus had a 'hold' on sales. The dealership implemented the software update on 18 Feb 10 and we closed the sale on 20 Feb 10. We are now the proud owners of HS250h with NAV/Tech package(Aurora White Pearl). This will be my wife's first Lexux hybrid and she said that I can drive it 'now and then'. I drive a 2010 Prius IV and am waiting for the software fix to be implemented.
Old 02-25-10, 09:34 AM
sik96ls400
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its funny how some people think that toyota/lexus is going down after these recalls....they forget that they've been nothing but success for over 20 years!
Old 02-25-10, 10:41 AM
Argelius
Pole Position

It's been a slow couple of weeks in the news, so the media has gone berserk with this story. And the politicians have no more pressing matters to deal with...
Old 02-25-10, 07:58 PM
psoccer555
Rookie

Originally Posted by Argelius
It's been a slow couple of weeks in the news, so the media has gone berserk with this story. And the politicians have no more pressing matters to deal with...
I'm thinking back a few years when the Ford Crown Vic was known as the rolling explosive vehicle torch upon a rear collision impact. Many private individuals and law enforcement officers lost their lives in these rear collision impacts. Many others were seriously injured. Ford, as I recall, continuously denied problems while suggesting a bladder in the fuel tank would prevent future explosions.

Today our world is instantly connected through the media and internet so problems now and in the future are manifested immediately unlike the days of the Crown Vic explosions. A few frustrations or problems within hours can become international events an crisis'. If it bleeds it leads as they say in the media.

I've owned 1 Toyota and 3 Lexus products over the past 6 years. The Toyota was a private party purchase and the 3 Lexus' were new car purchases.

I am absolutely pleased with these Toyota and Lexus products and their superb performance, quality and workmanship. We all need to be careful about how quickly a spark becomes a wildfire by what we say in this day and age.

Frankly I'm tired of the Toyota bashing! The corporate leadership and management of Toyota has not helped themselves in assuring its currrent and future customers of the fine product that it builds and placed all production employees at the manufacturing level, dealerships and employees of Toyota and Lexus in a very poor position and light.

I'm embarrassed for corporate management and leadership of Toyota as to how badly they got sucked in by the media and how poorly they have responded. If the corporate management and leadership of Toyota were working for me, I would have fired them by now for having the lack of skill to step forward and deal with the issues at hand promptly, factually and head on.

....just my two cents on this-I think many in the public have become phobic, while others simply have to much time to complain while yet others now are becoming me too's related to the operation of their Toyota product! This reminds me of when one passenger on a plane gets sick, others start feeling sick and soon many in the aircraft are feeling sick.

Lets move on from the hysteria and media frenzy.

I feel much better now for venting

Last edited by psoccer555; 02-25-10 at 08:02 PM. Reason: wordsmithing and sentence structure
Old 02-25-10, 08:32 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by psoccer555
Lets move on from the hysteria and media frenzy.

I feel much better now for venting
Well said!

For those that have not had a chance to get the voluntary recall for the brakes, it's a simple as making an appointment with your Lexus service department and getting the ecm reprogram completed.
Old 03-02-10, 09:13 PM
dedas1
Rookie

hi. I have my car in for the recall this Friday. I posted a reply previously thinking that I knew what the issue was with the brakes letting go or the regenerative braking switching betw the friction braking. Well, I did not know before, but now I do. Hitting a pot hole, or any rough spot while braking results in the feeling of the brakes just letting go, or the feeling of slipping across a wet floor without any traction for about 1 sec or so. The sensation is gone after you have passed over the pot hole or rough spot. It is a deconcerting feeling like you have no control. I am anxious to see if the fix resolves the problem as some have posted in follow up. I guess if they never fixed it, you would just have to try and avoid hitting rough spots and braking at the same time. The only instance I would think it were a problem if you were coming to a stop and you hit one of these areas just prior to a full stop, the car keeps going and you bump the car in front of you. What recourse do you have then?
I'll post a response after having the car in this Fri for repair.
Old 03-05-10, 04:21 PM
dedas1
Rookie

Well. Got my fix today too. Can not really say there is much to it. The service person told me that what they did with this service is to move the regen braking switch from the 5 mph zone to the 20 mph zone so that it will not be as noticeable to the driver. It is still there, but less of an annoyance. I will have to see if the fix took care of the "slide" when hitting a bump at 5 mph or less. Oh, they also filled the car with a tank of gas and washed and vacuumed. A nice gesture.