Cracking noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-10, 05:33 PM
steilkurve
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cracking noise

Hello all.

Got my HS250h Ultra Premium mid-December. I really, really love the car and the whole Lexus experience. It's my first and despite what follows, likely not my last. I like it that much!

Unfortunately, I had to take it in for a cracking noise that seemed to come from the right edge of the dashboard every time I drive over a bump, even slight ones. The dealer test drove it with me and acknowledged it. They were apologetic and got right to try and fixing it. After two days and having taken the dash board apart, they called me to say they believe the noise comes from the body of the car itself, right by the small front window. Perhaps some small welding that didn't hold.

They'll be performing tests with specialized equipment next week to try and determine if that is the case. Needless to say, I'm really disappointed. I love this car but I'm bummed that it needs such complex servicing after only 6 weeks or so on the road. I realize it's likely a factory defect and I have lots of confidence in my dealer but I'm not crazy about the idea of so much 'tempering' with a brand new vehicle.

So, my questions:

1. As anybody noticed a similar noise with their HS250h?

2. Should I be worried about 'collateral damage' such as more rattling and cracking noise coming from the disassembled and then reassembled dash board. I saw how much they had removed and wanted to cry!

Similar experiences and thoughts welcome!

Thanks.
Old 02-06-10, 12:52 PM
behannesey
Driver School Candidate

My 250h has not had this problem.

get them to offer a replacement car or at least agree to not lower the trade-in value on the dis-assembly work done.
Old 02-06-10, 05:31 PM
steilkurve
Rookie

Thanks for the reply. I had actually thought of asking for a replacement car when they broke the news of the dis-assembly but decided not to, figuring they'd never do it for a cracking noise that doesn't affect performance or safety. Would they seriously consider it you think? Is it that easy to get a car manufacturer to swap your car?
Old 02-07-10, 11:09 AM
psoccer555
Rookie

Greetings! I've had mine HS250h loaded for about 5 weeks and I've not had any problems. I'd be reluctant to have them do that much disassembly because as things go it sometimes doesn't work out. I had a disassembly with the 04 RX330 for a noisy sun roof and it just never was quite right. I'd try to cut a deal with them on any the alternative you select. Then there's the old question-are you better off with the devil you know or don't know? Tolerate the noise or if a fix is attempted it may work or may not. Let me know what you do and best of luck!
Old 02-07-10, 06:45 PM
tonyscv
Driver

I've had two noise issues remedied - both relatively simple fixes to problems that were driving me batty.

The first one was coins in the center console coin holder. If you don't have enough inserted they rattle horribly over bumps. Removing the coins solved that problem.

The second was the sunglass holder. For whatever reason, Lexus did not line the entire holder with rubber. Just parts, whenever I cornered, the sunglasses would slide from side to side and make noise when they hit the sides of the holder. Felt padding on the side of the sunglass holder took care of that as well.
Old 02-08-10, 05:13 PM
steilkurve
Rookie

Thanks psoccer555. In hindsight, I should not have brought it in as you're probably right. Who knows what other noise will come out of a reassembled dash. Too late now. The dash (along with some other covers near the right window) is disassembled and they will be performing the body scan with some kind of special device. I guess I can only cross my fingers and hope it fixes the noise and nothing else surfaces. I'll let you all know. NP