HS 250h Model (2010-2012)

ABS Fix -- Really? This the what all the fuss was about?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-10, 06:39 AM
Squirrelsb
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ABS Fix -- Really? This the what all the fuss was about?

Folks, tell the truth. Have you noticed THAT much of a difference with the ABS fix installed? I just got mine done and I honestly dont notice the difference -- certainly not worth the negative publicity Toyota is getting. I think the politicians are just bored for its much ado about nothing.

Don't get me wrong. Sure Lexus should fix the car if you know of a problem but to vilify the company is just wrong when there are many instances of fixes being done in a much less public manner. I mean, my Benz had 3 separate service recalls in the 6 years I owned it and there wasn't such a public outcry for the CEO's head.

Last edited by Squirrelsb; 03-02-10 at 06:43 AM.
Old 03-02-10, 08:01 AM
KGenaidy
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have not noticed any difference at all in braking behavior.

I only had the "problem" happen to me once prior to the ABS fix. I have not had the problem occur since the "fix".

I also agree w/you that that this particular issue was blown out of proportion by the media. On a positive note ... it was good for a "free" top-off of gas.
Old 03-02-10, 04:18 PM
tonyscv
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You won't notice any difference in normal driving. It was only in situations where you were braking and hit a pothole or a slick surface that caused the ABS system to kick in - disengaging the regenerative brakes and switching to friction brakes.

If you don't drive in situations where those circumstances would exist, then it's likely you never experienced this problem.

For those of us who could get the problem to occur, the fix was necessary and has so far (at least in my case) been working flawlessly.

The best way to describe what it felt like was that when the ABS situation occurred, the amount of resistance the driver felt while applying the brake was reduced, which in essence made the pedal feel change without increasing any braking pressure. That gave the driver the sensation that the brake pressure "let up", when in reality only the pedal feel changed. It was very disconcerting. The ECU update fixes that problem.
Old 07-24-10, 01:31 PM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well it turns out that my dads car already had the abs fix done....but whether done or not the brakes feel very weak. is this normal ? a 40k car feeling like it's on drum brakes.