HS 250h Model (2010-2012)

So I got an HS250 as a loaner today

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-10, 10:54 PM
YotaCarFan
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go back to your ES, GS, SC, and LS threads and talk there instead of coming over to our house (HS) and insulting our cars. We know that hybrids are quirky and not sexy but it's like going over to a neighbor's house and telling them their daughter is ugly. It is also exhibiting troll-like behavior and not appreciated.

My comments were not meant to slam the car, but to indicate that I have an interest in it but might not buy one unless certain changes are made to its feature set. I interpret other people's comments as indication of taking an interest in the HS but not completely convinced it's for them. I find this thread helpful, since it provides more detailed impressions of the car than the typical online reviews in auto websites, as I am trying to make up my mind whether I want to buy an HS at some point. Plus, considering Toyota is known to keep an eye on internet discussions to get product feedback, providing constructive criticism here might help improve the product over time.
Old 03-30-10, 11:53 AM
Canesguy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by YotaCarFan
Go back to your ES, GS, SC, and LS threads and talk there instead of coming over to our house (HS) and insulting our cars. We know that hybrids are quirky and not sexy but it's like going over to a neighbor's house and telling them their daughter is ugly. It is also exhibiting troll-like behavior and not appreciated.

My comments were not meant to slam the car, but to indicate that I have an interest in it but might not buy one unless certain changes are made to its feature set. I interpret other people's comments as indication of taking an interest in the HS but not completely convinced it's for them. I find this thread helpful, since it provides more detailed impressions of the car than the typical online reviews in auto websites, as I am trying to make up my mind whether I want to buy an HS at some point. Plus, considering Toyota is known to keep an eye on internet discussions to get product feedback, providing constructive criticism here might help improve the product over time.

Fair enough .
Old 03-31-10, 06:32 AM
Magellan55

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

YotaCarFan makes a lot of good points though (I agree with almost all of them). Just comparing it to my old Saab 95, it really does feel like a step or two down in "luxury". When I test drove the HS, I spent so much time focusing on the drivetrain differences that I forgot to pay attention to everything else. My wife did comment that the cheaper IS250 felt more upscale, even though it was smaller inside. While the dash is pretty nice, the rest of the HS interior to me is more base Civic/Corolla than luxury sedan. In particular, I really hate the hard plastic seat backs and lack of pockets for kids to put stuff.

I think they did do a lot of cost cutting to pay for the hybrid pieces.
Old 03-31-10, 07:54 AM
Canesguy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Magellan55
YotaCarFan makes a lot of good points though (I agree with almost all of them). Just comparing it to my old Saab 95, it really does feel like a step or two down in "luxury". When I test drove the HS, I spent so much time focusing on the drivetrain differences that I forgot to pay attention to everything else. My wife did comment that the cheaper IS250 felt more upscale, even though it was smaller inside. While the dash is pretty nice, the rest of the HS interior to me is more base Civic/Corolla than luxury sedan. In particular, I really hate the hard plastic seat backs and lack of pockets for kids to put stuff.

I think they did do a lot of cost cutting to pay for the hybrid pieces.

There ya go again .
Old 03-31-10, 09:25 AM
gary1944
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, is there no end to the slapping around of the HS ? I am on my 6th Lexus and the HS is the most recent of them. I have had it for 3 months now and like it better every day. Here's an idea.....go drive another hybrid such as a Ford Escape or Mercury or even a Pruis or Honda and I think it would be evident that the HS is above this crowd. The HS was not designed, IMHO, to be the answer to world hunger but to serve a niche market which I believe it does.

BTW, my wife has a 2008 ES350 and I like the HS much better. As an example the seats in the HS are much more comfortable. And I see no difference in the fit and finish...Lexus quality.
Old 03-31-10, 09:46 AM
YotaCarFan
Pole Position

IMHO, the cost cutting with respect to cushy luxury items like extra wood and soft touch plastic were done for the following reasons:

1. The hybrid motor isn't that expensive; a loaded Hybrid Camry can sell for $30K at a profit, and it has the same motor. A base HS is just a couple $K more expensive, yet includes extras like the motorized pop-up LCD screen, high-end standard audio system, turn-signal mirrors, "L" logo, higher cost NVH reducing materials and interior panels and seats, etc. To keep the HS' profit margin at an acceptable level while slotting its MSRP under that of the ES, they had to cut out some of the toys.

2. Target HS demographic anticipated to be younger than for other models, so less wood & soft touch materials better tolerated or even preferred

3. They intentionally leave out things initially, so they can add them in gradually with each successive new model year, making the new models seem like a better deal than discounted previous models at the start of each model year.
Old 03-31-10, 12:39 PM
hiep92657
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by EyeKutr
I took my car in for some service and they gave me an almost brand new HS250 as a loaner....it has the 17 inch wheels, navigation, Satellite radio, no ML. I had seen a few before but never paid too much attention. I am a Lexus fan but this car just does not do anything for me. Looking at this thing, all I see is a Corolla...yeah yeah, it is not a corolla but damn it, it looks like one. Interior is nice, nice leather, the interior layout is way better than a prius. The joystick is nice. The driving experience is just flat out bad. First you start it up, throw it in reverse and the gas motor kicks in at some point. When you hit the gas, from a standstill, you get a slight vibration in the gas pedal and the thing just barely seems to move. Handling is what you would expect from a sedan like this and braking seems fine. The pluses are that it is roomy inside and gets 35 mpg (that is what the almost empty tank avg was). It has a pretty nice interior but overall, the exterior styling just kills it for this car IMO.

What service did you get done? Basic or Extensive?
I just had my 5k done and they gave me the RX450h I wanted to check out the HS250.
Old 04-22-10, 09:42 PM
grondie
Merkur Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Canesguy
Fair enough .
I'm not sure it's fair to compare the HS to the ES in that they are targeting a different type of buyer - much like most ES shoppers wouldn't consider the IS. Add this to the fact that premium small cars haven't really caught on here in the states where bigger=better.

We also had an HS loaner while our one of our cars was in getting its TSB's taken care of, and all-in-all, it was a very nice car. For a smaller car, it was extremely comfortable, rode nice and had all the techno toys. This car would make a great upgrade for the Prius (which can set you back 35k loaded up) owner looking for a more substantial car.

As for the Corolla comments, I've had people say that about our IS - whatever, they're both smaller Toyota's/Lexus - who cares. I think it may be priced a bit high though, but I tend to think that about all cars

PS: We GS owners do a fine job of slamming the GS in our forums as well
Old 04-29-10, 01:12 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by grondie
This car would make a great upgrade for the Prius (which can set you back 35k loaded up) owner looking for a more substantial car.
Being a new owner of a Prius V with ATP (advance tech pkg), i am not sure if the HS is really an upgrade. The two cars are just so different that i am not sure if people actually cross-shop them.
Old 04-29-10, 07:49 PM
ChickenIS
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

My wife was given a HS for a loaner yesterday. She has mixed feelings (mostly positive), but doesn't like the cheesy chrome wheels. Being 6'3" I have great room in the driver seat. I find myself watching the gauges trying to keep ECO mode on. I also like being able to get in and out of it without smashing my head. She called me this morning excited about putting in two gallons of gas and having the range jump up 90 miles.
Old 05-02-10, 11:53 AM
ed lee
Driver School Candidate

Saw the HS and was in market for a hybird. Read the reviews by Car and Driver etc and decided HS was not for me at that price tag. Got the RX 450h as a loaner last month and now contemplating on buying the RX450H. That's a Lexus ! The HS is like another said lost identity. At that price for what one gets, might as well buy a Prius.

Check out the RX450 h !
Old 05-02-10, 02:50 PM
Canesguy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ed lee
Saw the HS and was in market for a hybird. Read the reviews by Car and Driver etc and decided HS was not for me at that price tag. Got the RX 450h as a loaner last month and now contemplating on buying the RX450H. That's a Lexus ! The HS is like another said lost identity. At that price for what one gets, might as well buy a Prius.

Check out the RX450 h !
You're obviously more in the market for an SUV than a sedan.

Comparing the Prius to the HS is like comparing a Chevrolet to a Cadillac. I know, I have both . The difference is luxury over thriftiness.
Old 05-02-10, 06:36 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Canesguy
You're obviously more in the market for an SUV than a sedan.

Comparing the Prius to the HS is like comparing a Chevrolet to a Cadillac. I know, I have both . The difference is luxury over thriftiness.
but you gotta admit the the RX450h is one nice SUV! Price aint too bad either and you only sacrifice 5 mpg from the HS but you gain 110 more horsepower

The Prius is nice as well, but the real direct competitor to the HS will be coming out later this year. The MKZ hybrid:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...kz-hybrid.html
Old 05-02-10, 07:48 PM
Magellan55

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

But you need that extra 110 HP to haul around the extra 1000 pounds of pork. Actual 0-60 isn't much faster than the HS. So for an extra $10K you get some cargo room, you sit higher, and you get some pretend off-road capability. Like Canesguy said, if you really need to keep up with the Jones's and get an SUV, then the RX450h is a really nice and gas-friendly option. But if you just need to haul yourself and some occasional passengers, like most people do, then I don't see the point.

IMO, if you need to haul more people than an HS / Prius can hold, get a minivan and be done with it. Just wish they made those in hybrid form - with all the ferrying around and waiting in school lines they do, it would seem an ideal application for a hybrid powerplant.
Old 05-02-10, 09:24 PM
YotaCarFan
Pole Position

The RX450h, according to consumer reviews on Edmunds & CR has a luxurious interior, is quiet, and rides smoothly - which is what most people expect from a Lexus. The HS250h, on the other hand, gets lots of consumer reviews stating it looks nice but not luxurious inside and has unexpectedly high noise levels and jitteriness in the cabin. The professional Edmunds and CR reviews state the same thing. Ive driven the HS, and I agree with the reviews. For $50K (fully loaded), I expect a higher grade interior and smoother quieter ride. As a result, I'm contemplating the RX450h, even though i strongly prefer the appearance of a sedan over an SUV. I think poster Ed Lee may be in the same camp.

Quick Reply: So I got an HS250 as a loaner today