HS 250h Model (2010-2012)

HS never gets average of 34.5 mpg

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-10, 03:24 AM
KGenaidy
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello hyperme,

Congrats on your new HS! Your mileage will only improve as the vehicle breaks in.
Old 06-08-10, 03:41 AM
acheparev
Driver

Which gas are you guys using. Does it make a difference in mileage? The manual says 87, but will a higher octane give better mileage?
Old 06-08-10, 04:40 PM
hyperme
Driver

Originally Posted by acheparev
Which gas are you guys using. Does it make a difference in mileage? The manual says 87, but will a higher octane give better mileage?
IMO it won't make a bit of difference. I use regular gas, I believe it'e either 87 or 89 here.
Old 06-08-10, 04:42 PM
hyperme
Driver

Originally Posted by KGenaidy
Hello hyperme,

Congrats on your new HS! Your mileage will only improve as the vehicle breaks in.
Thanks KG,
I've got about 75 miles on this 2nd tank and the display is reading 46.5 mpg. I hope I can keep improving. In any event, I love the game!
Old 06-10-10, 11:01 AM
Magellan55

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

hyperme, congrats on joining the HS family! Sounds like you're off to a great start with that mpg. I've had mine a few months, and can't compare to what KGenaidy can do with his, but I've found the biggest factor in mpg is your speed, and next is how much you go into the power band and use the brakes. Drive gently, do 40-50 mph, coast a long way up to stop lights, etc, and you'll see over 40 mpg no sweat. Drive 80 like I do, and you'll get more like 35 :-)

I personally wouldn't worry too much about whether you're driving on battery or not, as unless you've converted to a plug-in hybrid, your engine still has to run to recharge it. It might help a little, but for the most part it's awash. energy in = energy out.
Old 06-13-10, 05:12 AM
hyperme
Driver

Thanks Magellan, My problem is my morning commute. The 1st mile is mostly uphill, slight upgrade, but still uphill. Then it's the freeway for ~10.5 miles, finishing with ~1 mile on city streets. Total commute is ~12.5 miles. That 1st mile is a killer of course (engine cold, uphill), under 20mpg. The freeway's not the best for mpg either, even though I average about 50mph (5 under the limit). Fortunately, I can drive that last mile on city streets in either electric or EV mode (after I sit at a stop sign when I exit and get it into S4).
Old 06-13-10, 04:04 PM
rajeev6
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My wife took it for a 250 mile round trip and she got 43 mpg! (trip computer).
The car was on ECO mode all the time (she'd rather not touch those )
I also think that it depends upon driving - accelerating quickly will definitely rob miles out.
Old 06-13-10, 04:13 PM
hyperme
Driver

Originally Posted by rajeev6
My wife took it for a 250 mile round trip and she got 43 mpg! (trip computer).
The car was on ECO mode all the time (she'd rather not touch those )
I also think that it depends upon driving - accelerating quickly will definitely rob miles out.
Wow, that's fantastic. Is she a hypermiler or what? She had to be doing something to get thay kind of mpg.
Old 06-14-10, 07:11 AM
rajeev6
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hyperme
Wow, that's fantastic. Is she a hypermiler or what? She had to be doing something to get thay kind of mpg.
If anything, she's definitely not a hypermiler - she beats the s&!t out of our other car (Acura MDX with 300HP).

I'll talk to her today to see what exactly did she do (if at all she can point to something)
Old 06-24-10, 08:34 PM
ToddRiley
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 28-29

I have had my HS250h 7 months now - I drive mostly on the street of Los Angeles - probably averaging 3-4 miles per start and stop and am getting 28-29 mpg....maybe because things are heating up in LA temperature wise and the AC is working harder...but I have not seen 30+ in a few months....
Old 06-25-10, 03:31 AM
hyperme
Driver

Originally Posted by ToddRiley
I have had my HS250h 7 months now - I drive mostly on the street of Los Angeles - probably averaging 3-4 miles per start and stop and am getting 28-29 mpg....maybe because things are heating up in LA temperature wise and the AC is working harder...but I have not seen 30+ in a few months....
Wow, that doesn't sound much like a hybrid. I assume you're driving it like a normal car and not using many, if any, HM tricks. I've had my HS250h for 3.5 weeks now, still on my first full tank, and my MFD reads 51.9mpg.
Old 06-25-10, 03:37 AM
hyperme
Driver

Originally Posted by ToddRiley
Oh, nevermind. I re-read your post, if you're only averaging 3-4 miles per start/stop, your mpg sounds about right. That warm-up period will destroy your gas mileage and it sounds like you never really get it warmed up.
Old 06-25-10, 01:22 PM
KGenaidy
Driver

Hi hyperme,

Don't be surprised if the at the pump mpg ends up 4-8% lower then the MFD. That was a real downer for me the first time. Now ... I've come to expect it and mentally calculate accordingly.

Btw ... you're getting great fuel economy!
Old 06-25-10, 01:29 PM
hyperme
Driver

Originally Posted by KGenaidy
Hi hyperme,

Don't be surprised if the at the pump mpg ends up 4-8% lower then the MFD. That was a real downer for me the first time. Now ... I've come to expect it and mentally calculate accordingly.

Btw ... you're getting great fuel economy!
Yeah, I've been anticipating my actual mpg to be 4mpg lower than MFD. I'm not looking forward to that disappointment but I know it's inevitable (unless I never run out of gas ). Funny thing is my SG says I'm at 53.2 mpg, but since this is my first full tank I haven't calibrated it yet.
Old 06-28-10, 07:26 AM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemareen
their rating is rated at 34 street and 35 highway.

so this is an average of 34.5 with the lowest ever being 34.

however our odometer never hits 34 as an average, it's always at 29 to 30 at highest.

this is very mis-leading, is lexus obligated to take the car back due to false advertisement or pay the difference in actual gas mpg vs advertised mpg.
Those are suggested ranges under optimal conditions and good driving habits. If you're purely stop & go or a hard driver than those figures are indicative of that style of driving or driving conditions.

My Lexus RX 450h varies a little as conditions vary but my overall average is about 30 which isn't bad at all for a car of that size and weight. Others get more, some get less.

Quick Reply: HS never gets average of 34.5 mpg