HS 250h Model (2010-2012)

We might be getting another recall...

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-10, 03:29 PM
behannesey
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CurryPot
I bought a new Infiniti G35 in 2007. It had over 30 TSBs in the first year. Including the trim around the sunroof falling off. The fix? Sticky tape. Seat heater in the passenger seat would heat the bottom or the back but not both at the same time due to a faulty wiring harness. Radar cruise control that used the brakes and not the engine to slow the car down - so brake pads were worn. It goes on. I am not defending Lexus but for my own piece of mind just trying to keep things in perspective.

We all have short term memory so by the time it comes to sell, no one will really remember. And since this is not a volume seller, I am still expecting good resale value. Resale is based on desire and volume. We have volume on our side and with the Lexus Certified Program, it makes them more desirable.

Will I stick with Lexus? Probably, but they are starting to push their luck with me.

Well, we should all get another free tank of gas! May be more?
I found out about current resale value in Dallas. I went to the dealer with title in hand. Wanted to trade the premium 250h (12.5K miles) for a 2010 ES350 with the same options. The head of sales was very nice, but the offer was the 250h and $8000. That kind of depreciation is a bit more than I am interested in. That would make the cost to own the ES at about $49K after driving the 250h 12.5 K miles. Any owner out there think that is a reasonable deal??

I said what about my buying a loaner that had comprable mileage, or I would pay the cost for any mileage delta. They said that their dealership does NOT own the loaners, rather a separate corporation owns the loaners, and therefore could not deal in that way. Other dealers may be in the same boat-don't know.

I told them I would not allow my wife to drive a car that the government has placed a STOP on sales due to safety concerns. They very willingly gave me a RX350 as a loaner. Told me the parts to fix the 250h would be in Texas on the 20th of July.
Old 07-07-10, 05:34 PM
moolman
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

8K depreciation on a car like the HS price at 35-48K MSRP is about right regardless of this whole situation. You were also trying to trade it into a dealer which has the highest mark up, etc. So remember the old adage, you lose 20% if the value of the car, the 1st foot you drive out of the dealership. 1 year old used luxury car in this economy, I'm surprised it wasn't closer to 10K.
Old 07-07-10, 09:03 PM
rjk212
Driver School Candidate

Mentioned earlier I got an RX350h from dealer as a loaner. Was mistaken. It's an RX400h, which only matters because I was alittle surprised (more than a little) that this Hybrid uses only PREMIUM GAS???? Why in the world get a hybrid needing premium gas and only getting 25 mpg. Hope the recall ends soon before I go broke driving this "fuel efficient" hybrid. Can't wait to get the HS back....
Old 07-08-10, 06:32 AM
Squirrelsb
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All, for me, there's just nothing comparable yet to the HS in terms of luxury and gas mileage. I drove the Fusion and the Camry (the only two I feel are even close) and liked the Camry 2nd best. Its also a Toyota, so there ya go. Last recall they gave me a Lexus RX3somethingH and it wasn't close to my HS250 in gas mileage and that was supposed to be their next fuel efficient one? I have no desire whatsoever to trade in my 250 for another Lexus and since I cant find anything close yet, I plan on keeping it unless they totally buyback the car (which I seriously doubt will happen). If that should happen, I have no idea what I would buy.. maybe another Benz as I like the body style and aesthetics more. I also liked the Lexus IS convertible (and drove it) but the gas mileage kept me away.

Last edited by Squirrelsb; 07-08-10 at 07:06 AM.
Old 07-08-10, 01:58 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Was mistaken. It's an RX400h, which only matters because I was alittle surprised (more than a little) that this Hybrid uses only PREMIUM GAS????
I wouldnt bother putting premium in a loaner vehicle. Probably the dealership doesnt either, nor the other drivers, which might explain why you are getting only 25mpg. That said, 25 (rated 28) is still a lot better than the gas model, and dont forget, you are giving up only the rated 7 mpg for an extra 100 horsepower and the extra size
Old 07-08-10, 02:06 PM
rjk212
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the heads up on Premium gas. My luck the car will stop running on my way to tennis!!
Old 07-08-10, 09:14 PM
behannesey
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by moolman
8K depreciation on a car like the HS price at 35-48K MSRP is about right regardless of this whole situation. You were also trying to trade it into a dealer which has the highest mark up, etc. So remember the old adage, you lose 20% if the value of the car, the 1st foot you drive out of the dealership. 1 year old used luxury car in this economy, I'm surprised it wasn't closer to 10K.
I traded the 250h in for a new es350. They were very generous with the es offered to me at dealer invoice (as shown on edmunds web site).
I'll pay 4 or 500 bucks more a year for gas for a vehicle that I feel is safe. My take on the recall is that an after market mod will be detrimental for resale. And what if the planned fix doesn't fix the problem?
That said the dealer went a long long way in instilling my loyalty to the brand AND the dealership.
Old 07-09-10, 01:30 PM
JamesDemo
Rookie

Been a long time with out any info on this problem. Any one with info to share? Thanks in advance.
Old 07-09-10, 02:49 PM
LBronston
Driver School Candidate

Just spent some time on the phone with Lexus Corporate--third time this week. I was told the following: No ETA on fix for the HS--they are down playing the issue as it is very unlikely to cause an issue unless the crash is a specific type of impact. As my wife drives this car I am not satisfied with that response. I took my car in last week and was called by the dealer 20 minutes after we left to come and get it since they had no fix yet. I told them I would not drive it again until it was repaired. After some heated discussions they finally agreed to a loaner--ES350. I too am not happy that I am getting lower mileage on a car that uses Premium so that was our discussion today. After going back and forth they have agreed to send me 1 months lease payment back to me in the form of a check to offset the cost of the fuel and inconvienence of the whole situation. I did inquire about the buyback and was told we could start that process as well. I have had a vehicle that went through this process with Mazda a few years back so I know the process. I am not going there yet but may be very soon. She said they could not tell me when the retro fit will be ready but it could be by the end of August....we will see but they are open to the idea of a buyback....just have no idea what we would buy if that happens.....stay tuned
Old 07-09-10, 03:30 PM
Canesguy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LBronston
I did inquire about the buyback and was told we could start that process as well. I have had a vehicle that went through this process with Mazda a few years back so I know the process. I am not going there yet but may be very soon. She said they could not tell me when the retro fit will be ready but it could be by the end of August....we will see but they are open to the idea of a buyback....just have no idea what we would buy if that happens.....stay tuned

How long ago do you buy the car?
Old 07-09-10, 04:22 PM
LBronston
Driver School Candidate

We picked ours up on New Year's Eve---this is the second recall we have had since we purchased it. February and then this one.
Old 07-10-10, 03:22 AM
JamesDemo
Rookie

I had my car for 4 weeks before the recall . I have 500 miles on it. I told Lexus I did not want the car because of perception. They gave me a loaner ES350 which loves gas and not the premium model. I traded in a 350ES. They said Lexus has not authorized a buy back yet. I told them I would wait till the 2011 came out and did not even want a car till then.
If the commercial on TV is correct that they are spending 1 million $$$$$ a day for safety I think it's time they do something more for their loyal customers!
Has any one been given the buy back option yet? Thanks in advance.
Old 07-10-10, 08:21 AM
JamesDemo
Rookie

I just got off the phone with customer service. The person told me that they will be issuing the fix by next week. It is a very simple fix and pertaining to a collar around the filler pipe. They are happy because it requires a very easy solution. He has convince me that the car is save and I will pick up and drive my HS250 again. Resale value will be what it is and we all know what it is!
I do believe that the car is safe but also it's a pain in the butt when you buy a new car and you get recalls. The lemon aid out of the lemons " with being under the microscope this could be a very save car to drive" Best luck to all owners.
Old 07-10-10, 09:31 AM
Canesguy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JamesDemo
I just got off the phone with customer service. The person told me that they will be issuing the fix by next week. It is a very simple fix and pertaining to a collar around the filler pipe. They are happy because it requires a very easy solution. He has convince me that the car is save and I will pick up and drive my HS250 again. Resale value will be what it is and we all know what it is!
I do believe that the car is safe but also it's a pain in the butt when you buy a new car and you get recalls. The lemon aid out of the lemons " with being under the microscope this could be a very save car to drive" Best luck to all owners.

Well, there are two positives to this generally negative issue. The first is that there apparently have been no fatalities or severe injuries (that we know of) related to the issue. Secondly, the issue, according to your source, will be readily and easily fixed. That remains to be seen as well as the guarded future resale value .
Old 07-11-10, 05:08 PM
hyperme
Driver

Glad to hear the fix could be very simple because I love my HS and am having too much fun driving it.

Quick Reply: We might be getting another recall...