HS 250h Model (2010-2012)

New Guy

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-10 | 09:32 AM
mpbird
Driver School Candidate

Default New Guy

Hello, not sure this goes here but wanted to drop in and say hi to everyone. I've been reading the forum for the past month or so and find it informative.

Not currently an HS owner, thanks to the current stop-sale. But it's on my very short list and I'm patiently waiting for the stop-sale to be lifted so I can move forward with my new-car buying effort.

Look forward to future discussions and comments on the car.

Jim
Old 07-25-10 | 02:12 PM
Magellan55

Welcome Jim! Let us know what questions you have while you're waiting :-) You've probably already read them, but there are a few threads where owners have listed out the things they like and dislike about the HS, which might help you decide.

What other cars are on your list?
Old 07-25-10 | 03:13 PM
mpbird
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Magellan55
Welcome Jim! .......

What other cars are on your list?
Mag'55, thanks. Well the others are the 'usual suspects' - VW TDI, Prius, Fusion Hybrid. Prius is leading of these three. But the HS, IMHO, has a cut of 'luxury' that the others don't touch. Of course it's about $10K more expense - lol. But I'm at that point in life where that is not the 'driving' consideration.

I buy a car and keep it forever - this car will replace a '95 Volvo 850 with 194,000 miles on it which I picked up at the factory in Sweden. So resale value is not a big issue for me.

Anyway, waiting for the stop-sale to come off the HS so I can actually drive one and finalize the decision which my wife has already made.
Old 07-25-10 | 07:23 PM
Magellan55

So they won't even let you test drive one? I guess the lawyers won't let any out on the street - imagine the PR fiasco if one got rear-ended during a test-drive and ended badly

So it sounds like you're looking at sedans with high fuel efficiency. I think the big difference between a TDI and hybrid is how much city driving you do - the diesel gives you more power per mpg on the highway, while the hybrid is unbeatable in stop-and-go. If you're mostly highway, you might also consider the gas turbo GTI / Jetta Wolfsburg / A3 - they get 32 mpg highway and do 0-60 in under 7 seconds - a lot more fun to drive than any car on your list while getting almost as good mpg as the HS.

If fuel efficiency is your top concern though, you really can't beat the Prius. Some links on another thread showed the Prius getting better mpg than the TDI even at 70 mph. You can load it down with tech goodies too if you're into that.
Old 07-25-10 | 07:33 PM
LexFather

Welcome to CL! A lot of helpful HS owners here.