HS 250h Model (2010-2012)

Wood trim kit installed?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-10, 12:20 PM
Magellan55

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Right - this is very subjective, but to me it's too much wood in places that you usually don't see OEM wood applied (like around the vents). I was looking at similar kits on my Passat and they did the exact same thing - added wood to all the "trim" areas without regard to giving you an integrated, planned-from-the-beginning-to-look-good feel. Every car I've ever seen with aftermarket (just because a dealer is selling it doesn't mean Lexus designed/sourced it - notice this isn't on the main window sticker from Lexus) wood kits looks, well, overdone and tacky.

One thing I did consider was buying the kit and applying about half of the bits. That way you get more wood but not too much. But you'd have to live with the feeling you paid too much for what you got :-(

Also consider how the pieces match with the existing wood bits on the car - that has to be tough to achieve. Maybe you won't notice the difference but a potential buyer could when you decide to sell.

Just on a side note, I can't believe a Lexus dealer would be low enough to automatically put pinstriping on their cars. I've never seen high end dealers do that - just Chevy/Dodge/Ford/Nissan/etc. I won't even shop at dealers that do that - it indicates they play dirty tricks to make a few extra bucks. I'll bet they push undercoating and extended warranties too.
Old 08-15-10, 10:48 PM
MG512
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JamesDemo
Below is the wood dash. It is quite impressive but 895.00 If problems with the picture just e mail me and I will send it to you. New to this . https://www.clublexus.com/forums/att...1&d=1281793237
Looks way overdone and cheap. I wish I could have seen it from the inside perspective though. Still you can tell it's cheap because, aside from looking cheap, it just covers everything. It looks like there's a plastic tree growing out of the center console. A few accents here and there might have been nice but that's way over the top and it doesn't even include anything from the rear doors.

Also I was just looking at that sticker and that dealer seems like one hell of a rip off artist. Pretty much everything on that list, with the exception of the back up sensors, are dealer installed options not offered by Lexus or Lexus OEM parts. They just bought them somewhere else and installed them to the car so they could mark each item up by 300-500%. I'm going to tint my windows, for example, but at a place that specializes in window tints, signs, and car wraps. The dealer probably sends the car to a place like this (and gets deals for bulk business) and pays maybe $100 to have the car tinted. What are they charging for the tints?

Anyway this wood package cheapens the look, it doesn't make it look better, but that's my subjective opinion. It does give me a good idea of where Lexus could have added some real wood in the factory though. Wood around the remote touch would have been nice (although I don't recall if there's anything there now, or if it's just hard plastic), maybe on the button panel to the left of the steering wheel, and possibly around the center/side front air vents (not the those vents above the ones on the side though) but I'm not so sure about that anyway, and that's about it. Less is more.
Old 08-16-10, 05:39 AM
JamesDemo
Rookie

Default It does not look cheap BUT

The wood trim that this dealer recommends and is displaying does not look cheap and I think it is an upper end package. I do agree to just select some of the pieces and not all. When doing research and seeing the indent marks on the dash I do believe it's just another way for the dealers (all) just to do the "al la carte" menu pricing before you walk out the door. Prime example body side moldings to prevent dents that in the old days were not an add on.
Saying all the above I still have not decided to do or not to do, the pictures I put on an earlier post are not really that good it a must see in person.

Still pondering but thank all for their input. I did get the window and door chrome and I must say it really dresses up the windows and side moldings!
Old 08-17-10, 07:14 AM
Magellan55

Default thread swipe - side door trim

Speaking of body side molding (it was on that dealer sticker for $500), what are y'alls thoughts on that? The HS looks kind of cool with clean doors, but I dread the day I get a door ding. My previous cars had multiple dings on the side molding, so they seem to work. I also had several dings higher up, probably from SUV doors, so maybe the side molding isn't as effective anymore. But I haven't seen an HS in person yet with them, so I don't really know if they look good or not.

Last edited by Magellan55; 08-17-10 at 07:18 AM.
Old 08-17-10, 10:43 AM
Canesguy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Magellan55
Speaking of body side molding (it was on that dealer sticker for $500), what are y'alls thoughts on that? The HS looks kind of cool with clean doors, but I dread the day I get a door ding. My previous cars had multiple dings on the side molding, so they seem to work. I also had several dings higher up, probably from SUV doors, so maybe the side molding isn't as effective anymore. But I haven't seen an HS in person yet with them, so I don't really know if they look good or not.
Whether they look good or not, I think $500 is outrageous for them.
Old 08-18-10, 07:02 AM
JamesDemo
Rookie

Default Side moldings/ Window moldings/ Pin Stripe

Here are some pics of the above. Color is the Aurora White pearl. All were included in the price of the deal I made which we can talk about later. I do believe the window trim make a huge difference. The side moldings just for door protection. Pin stripe not needed were on the car. The windows are tinted because I live in FL. Still waiting for a price on the wood trim. None of the above help on performance but I think it just dresses up the Lexus.
Link below:

http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/10138...0%232?h=8e5596

Last edited by JamesDemo; 08-18-10 at 07:19 AM.
Old 08-19-10, 05:33 AM
JamesDemo
Rookie

Default They made me a deal I could not refused for the wood trim!

Received a call yesterday from Lexus. Deal or NO Deal! I said DEAL!
How long to get the wood trim: You have to come up so we can match the wood in your car, and then make a call to see if in stock. On my way. So today I will get the wood trim installed at 10:AM.
Will post pictures of before and after and with the terms of the DEAL! When I return later today.
I might add TO LEXUS!
Old 08-20-10, 11:54 AM
JamesDemo
Rookie

Default Compare the pictures!

The wood kit : Here is the info that I learned from the installer of the wood kit along wit the other accessories: All the accessories that Lexus sells carries the same warranties which you get when you purchase the car.
The wood used on the dash kit is especially for Lexus to match the exact color and it is real wood which is made in Canada. When you go on line you can find many brands and prices. The cost of the HS250 wood trim is around $400.00 The installed get 250.00 and the dealer get the rest for a total of $895.00 plus tax to the state-53.70 Total installed $948.70
Does it make a difference? I think yes a big difference because of the elongated dash. When the Navi is closed the wood sparkles on top.
Does it look cheap? I think not.
The big question-- Is it worth the bucks? If I get any interest in the deal I made I will then tell " The rest of the story" Pictures below in the link.

http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/10138...0Trim?h=109fa4
Old 08-20-10, 03:51 PM
acheparev
Driver

It looks like the wood is just glued on top of the plastic parts. I thought they would replace the those parts. Is that true?
Old 08-20-10, 04:18 PM
JamesDemo
Rookie

Yes that's true that is the same on the original wood on the doors and the cup holder. It changes the way the inside looks. I am very happy with it. It matches the few pieces of wood perfectly. It took away some of the leather look. But we all have different taste.
Old 08-21-10, 08:42 AM
Canesguy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default well.....

It does look like it matches the car's wood. My main problem with it is that it is overdone. It also looks like what it is, wood veneer glued on to the trim. Places like around the Lexus "L" are unnatural and terrible.

James, this is my opinion because you put it out there for us. I don't think you'll get even close to your money out of it but as long as you like it is all that matters, and I hope you enjoy it .

Last edited by Canesguy; 08-21-10 at 08:47 AM.
Old 08-21-10, 11:39 AM
Magellan55

James, thanks for sharing the pics with us. Glad you like it.