HS 250h Model (2010-2012)

Wood trim kit installed?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-10, 03:16 PM
JamesDemo
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wood trim kit installed?

Does anyone have the wood trim kit. Would like to see a picture. The cost is about 800.00 but it makes the car look more like a Lexus. I saw one after I bought mine but they sold that car. Still thinking if I want to spend the cash!
Thanks in advance.
Old 08-12-10, 03:40 PM
MG512
Driver School Candidate

Is it aftermarket or OEM? I don't recall ever being offered a wood trim package or seeing a car on the lot with a wood package. I do agree the car could us some more wood though. It would definitely be nice on the steering wheel although the leather does feel nice on the wheel so that acutally isn't so bad; it would be more for aesthetics in that case. I definitely feel like I have a better grip on the steering wheel without any wood on it, not that it was hard to hold one that did have wood. Both RX models I own have wood on the steering wheel and it looks very nice, but I feel as though the leather areas aren't as soft as the leather used on the HS steering wheel (it actually might be some sort of soft plastic). Also, I think the back doors need wood on them as well. Does the wood package your referring to include this or is it just for the dash? Whenever I see a car with a wood package you can almost tell immediately if it was meant for the car or not if the wood is all front heavy (as in no wood in the back). Again, like the RX, I think the back doors having wood on them makes the car look more symmetrical and brings more luxury to the back rather than just throwing a bunch of wood at the front of the car. Finally I'm curious what areas the package covers as it could look pretty bad if it covers too much, or covers up some areas that wouldn't be covered even if it came that way from the factory.

Anyway Lexus never struck me as a wood package kind of company. Yeah, they have packages that add wood to the car, but they sell additions in packages so I always though if you had a wood option in your package it was shipped like that from the factory (except maybe the shifter, which the HS doesn't really have) along with the other options in the package. Companies like Audi and BMW charge extra just for wood, although they've been making strides in offering more package deals, but I really like how Lexus includes the options in maybe 2-3 packages total. Some don't as they'd like to pick and choose but that often makes each individual option more expensive and you end up getting nickel and dimed on everything (like BMW does, although they used to be especially guilty of this 5-10 years ago).
Old 08-12-10, 06:27 PM
Canesguy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default wood packages

The problem with wood packages are that they are usually laminate wood and look fake depending on how light as well the type and grain of wood. Often, the after-market wood packages actually have too many panels covered in it, too much of a good thing, if you will. The wood in Lexus' is not a laminate but a "block" and, at least, to these eyes appears richer. That said, I would have liked more of it and in different locations in the HS.
Old 08-12-10, 07:57 PM
MG512
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Canesguy
The problem with wood packages are that they are usually laminate wood and look fake depending on how light as well the type and grain of wood. Often, the after-market wood packages actually have too many panels covered in it, too much of a good thing, if you will. The wood in Lexus' is not a laminate but a "block" and, at least, to these eyes appears richer. That said, I would have liked more of it and in different locations in the HS.
I completely agree; that's why I was asking what it covered up. Usually you see these things on ebay and they show an outline and it basically covers everything. Instead of making things look more luxurious it just looks tacky and ugly. A few wood accents here and there would be nice. Take the RX for example, it had some wood on the front and back doors, a bit in the center console area if I remember correctly (but very little, just an accent), a nice balance of wood on the steering wheel, and some wood on the top of the cup holder cover in the back center armrest (which is why I always left it down). Aside from that there was nothing else, but it looked elegant. The stick on wood, as you said, is often very cheaply made aside from being over the top. Because it has to be thin to cover everything it is usually cheap wood (if even being wood, usually it is plastic that looks like wood) and will look a lot worse than what the car has now. Granted I think the car could have used more wood, but it doesn't have it. Obviously it was nice enough the way it is that we all bought it, and I happen to like the glimmering, high quality plastic they used for the center console and I really like the way the leather wraps around the bottom of the part that projects out, up along the sides, and then around the navigation pop-out.
Old 08-13-10, 05:49 AM
JamesDemo
Rookie

The wood trim I saw was on the sticker side panel- The extras they sell like I had the side chrome on my door windows and the side guards, tinted windows,
and the plastic protection on the front hood and mirrors. The wood trim was not on that sticker and no one ever mentioned it to me. When I brought my car in for service to get the extras installed they had one in the show room and it looked really good. By memory just in the front and not overpowering.

My better half said why didn't I order the wood trim ? I am still thinking about it just not sure if I want to pull the bucks out. I am waiting to see if the dealer will deal a better price - Deal OR no Deal
Old 08-13-10, 09:34 AM
MG512
Driver School Candidate

Can you take a picture for us next time you're at the dealership? I'm really curious about this.

Also, what dealership are you seeing this at? I live in FL as well so we might be near the same one. I bought my HS (and every other Lexus I've ever had, except one) from JM Lexus. I'm also close to Lexus of Palm Beach and Treasure Coast Lexus.
Old 08-13-10, 05:12 PM
JamesDemo
Rookie

Bought the car at http://www.lexusofnaples.com/. I am not sure if they still have the car I will go up tomorrow and take a look. Will keep you informed. Jim
Old 08-14-10, 02:06 AM
MG512
Driver School Candidate

Ah, Naples. Nowhere near where I live (South FL). Still I would love to see a picture. Maybe they have some on the lot or a picture of the kit they use?
Old 08-14-10, 06:42 AM
JamesDemo
Rookie

Default Wood Dash Pic

Below is the wood dash. It is quite impressive but 895.00 If problems with the picture just e mail me and I will send it to you. New to this . https://www.clublexus.com/forums/att...1&d=1281793237
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Wood dash.pdf (99.5 KB, 837 views)

Last edited by JamesDemo; 08-14-10 at 06:46 AM.
Old 08-14-10, 07:04 AM
JamesDemo
Rookie

Default The kit

Found this sight where to purchase the kit. The big question I have is it easy install?

It sure a lot less $$$$$$

http://www.wooddash.com/category/LEXUS_Dash_Kits_HS250
Old 08-14-10, 07:16 AM
Canesguy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JamesDemo
Found this sight where to purchase the kit. The big question I have is it easy install?

It sure a lot less $$$$$$

http://www.wooddash.com/category/LEXUS_Dash_Kits_HS250

Looks like the peel 'n stick wood veneer with multiple sites of application. This is precisely the type I alluded to in a previous post which are elevated from surrounding surfaces and look plasticky, cheap, and overdone. Have you seen any of these kits in person?

Less $$$$$$ usually = cheap appearance not befitting a Lexus..

Last edited by Canesguy; 08-14-10 at 07:22 AM.
Old 08-14-10, 07:56 AM
JamesDemo
Rookie

Hi Canesguy
I posted the inside of the Lexus from the showroom with the price on their sticker. It does look good to me but the price way too high.
Did some checking on the web and there are lots of places to buy the kits and a lot less money

But looking at the instructions on how to apply unless you are a patient person which I am not I would choose to have it installed by a professional but the on line kits sell for around $200.00.

I am still waiting to see what my dealer will sell me one for BUT it does make a difference on the car in the showroom and not plastically. It just make the interior look more like a Lexus.

If you look at where the wood trim would go on the car there is all ready a set in place for them to fit so it is part of the got ya PLAN by the car people------ We don't have a chance!
Old 08-14-10, 08:59 AM
Canesguy
Lead Lap

Hi Canesguy
I posted the inside of the Lexus from the showroom with the price on their sticker. It does look good to me but the price way too high.
Did some checking on the web and there are lots of places to buy the kits and a lot less money

But looking at the instructions on how to apply unless you are a patient person which I am not I would choose to have it installed by a professional but the on line kits sell for around $200.00.

I am still waiting to see what my dealer will sell me one for BUT it does make a difference on the car in the showroom and not plastically. It just make the interior look more like a Lexus.

If you look at where the wood trim would go on the car there is all ready a set in place for them to fit so it is part of the got ya PLAN by the car people------ We don't have a chance!
Yeah, just don't buy one of those cheap after-market kits which cheapen the interior. I've done it. You'll regret it.

You say you have pics. of the wood package you like?

Last edited by Canesguy; 08-14-10 at 09:02 AM.
Old 08-14-10, 10:40 AM
JamesDemo
Rookie

Go back 4 replies and it's under post: (Attached Images-PDF) . This is at the dealer with the sticker. I went there today and took those pics.
Old 08-14-10, 11:37 AM
Canesguy
Lead Lap

Default your pics.

Go back 4 replies and it's under post: (Attached Images-PDF) . This is at the dealer with the sticker. I went there today and took those pics.

Thanks for posting. I'd have to really see it in person, but there's too much wood trim, for example, around the side mirror controls, where the nav. screen lifts and even around the vents. I can't tell if the wood panels are elevated much.

Wow, pin striping and body side moldings are very overpriced. After-market wood dashes, in my experience, have ranged from $400-750, a big range.

You have to decide if it is going to enhance your driving enjoyment because you will not recover your cost and it may actually deter some buyers when you resell the car.

Quick Reply: Wood trim kit installed?