HS 250h Model (2010-2012)

anyone else have to time your pedal acceleration to pick up speed ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-10, 09:14 AM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default anyone else have to time your pedal acceleration to pick up speed ?

when your at a red light and your about to turn right...or when you need to pass up a car, do you guys have to give yourself a lot of room / space so that the oncoming cars don't crash you because you can't pick up speed ?

not only that, then you gotta give yourself a lot of space to make up for the in-adequate braking system!! anyone else experiencing this ?

Last edited by mikemareen; 08-19-10 at 09:16 AM.
Old 08-18-10, 11:02 AM
Magellan55

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Agreed on the first point, have no idea what you're talking about on the second.

I've whined about the throttle response on the board before - it's my chief complaint on the HS. My guess is all of Toyota's full hybrids have the same issue, and maybe a lot of conventional cars with CVT trannies. Just the other day, I was at a light, trying to turn left, floored it when I had an opening, and waited 1001, 1002, 1003 before the car lurched forward, all the while watching opposing traffic bear down on me. The only solution is to push the throttle gently, and not take any chances. IMO Lexus needs to reprogram the throttle, so it applies full electric motor torque while the CVT does its thing and the engine spools up.

But you really need to drive another HS Mike, as the brakes work great on everyone else's HS. Someone just posted a new review in a different thread, and they claimed the brakes are TOO responsive! After driving my wife's Odyssey all weekend, I had to readjust to the more sensitive brakes on my HS. I think your dad's car has a brake problem - air in the lines or whatever.
Old 08-18-10, 11:17 AM
CurryPot
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

0 to 60 MPH is 8.7 seconds
Stopping distance from 60 MPH to 0 MPH is 125 feet

Source of information
http://www.edmunds.com/lexus/hs250h/2010/testdrive.html

How fast to 60 MPH do you think this car should be and how much shorter in distance would you like it to be?

The IS250C stopping distance is 119 ft and acceleration is 8.4 secs.

I'm a little confused with your comment. Sounds like you just don't like the car - which is fine. Not everyone is going to think this car is the best thing since sliced bread.
Old 08-18-10, 11:34 AM
acheparev
Driver

Why live with a car you don't like? Just trade it in or sell it.

Most here like the HS and got the vehicle knowing what they were getting.
Old 08-18-10, 12:02 PM
Magellan55

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Um, maybe some of us can afford to lose $5k selling a car only a few months after buying it (I did consider it), but many of us just aren't that rich...

Besides, there isn't another car I like much better right now. Holding my breath for the Tesla S...
Old 08-18-10, 01:10 PM
YotaCarFan
Pole Position

The hybrid HS is not unique here. My experience is that even conventional cars with automatic transmissions have an annoying lag between when I stomp on the gas and the car actually accelerates appreciably. After all, automatic transmissions are often referred to as "slushboxes".
Old 08-18-10, 04:21 PM
Canesguy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by acheparev
Why live with a car you don't like? Just trade it in or sell it.
Exactly.

It is obvious that the starter of this thread doesn't like the car. Last week it was the brakes, the week before it was the mpg, prior to that it was how car looked like a Corolla, prior how the Sonata hybrid would "pummel" the HS. It's about being a general troll regarding this car.

Last edited by Canesguy; 08-18-10 at 04:30 PM.
Old 08-18-10, 05:39 PM
JamesDemo
Rookie

I went for an oil change in my 2008 / 350 Lexus. While waiting I saw the HS and asked to take it for a drive. Is the car a different drive from the 350 definitely but I liked the way it drove and the tech package is a great improvement the only negative I have is the lock out on the Navi when driving. For me I think all the features work the way they should. Breaks- pick up and the sound is fine. If I had a car that I did not like - Look around there is no shortage that I know of - with every size and shape! to the HS250
Old 08-18-10, 07:53 PM
YotaCarFan
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JamesDemo
I went for an oil change in my 2008 / 350 Lexus. While waiting I saw the HS and asked to take it for a drive. Is the car a different drive from the 350 definitely but I liked the way it drove and the tech package is a great improvement the only negative I have is the lock out on the Navi when driving. For me I think all the features work the way they should. Breaks- pick up and the sound is fine. If I had a car that I did not like - Look around there is no shortage that I know of - with every size and shape! to the HS250
Actually, the HS' navigation system has the fewest nanny lockouts of any Toyota/Lexus I've driven, including the '07 and '10 ES. While driving, It allows viewing and scrolling through several screens of previous destinations or of eDestinations, enabling you to select a new destination. It also allows display of detailed traffic info, weather info, etc while moving. The Bluetooth phone feature displays caller ID for incoming calls, and allows display & selection of phone numbers lacking name tags from the call log while driving. The audio system displays current and available songs on USB-connected iPod while driving. The enabling of these functions while driving is a *massive* improvement over the hamstrung navigation systems in other current Toyota/Lexus cars! Frankly, it is the single most best thing about the HS in my opinion.
Old 08-18-10, 08:17 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mikemareen
ah c'mon guys u know it! when your at a red light and your about to turn right...or when you need to pass up a car, do you guys have to give yourself a lot of room / space so that the oncoming cars don't crash you because you can't pick up speed ?

LOL!

not only that, then you gotta give yourself a lot of space to make up for the in-adequate braking system!! what a car luxury car!
The HS has a mid 8 second 0-60 time and has more than enough performance around town. If its in ECO mode it can be sluggish. Its not a Mustang V-8 for crying out loud.

You are trolling here again. It is NOT your HS but your FATHER'S HS. Something tells me he is satisfied with his car but you don't like it, you wish he bought a Hyundai or Kia.

I've warned you and more importantly the site administrator did.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hs-...4-5-mpg-3.html

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Mike, you've made your opinion known on these topics across multiple recent posts and as you've stated, you are coming across as a troll.

I'm going to ask you to be very selective in your posting in the HS forum in the future. You've said your piece and I ask you to move on from it.

If you have genuine questions about operation of the vehicle that's fine. But simply posting to bash the vehicle repetively in a forum of owners ends now or your access to this forum will be removed.

To which you apologize to the forum.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hs-...s-a-troll.html

Your access to this forum will be discussed as you seemingly don't want to participate here in a productive manner.

Old 08-19-10, 09:17 AM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

i was just explaining my experience.....not causing trouble.

and it's not even about kia but more about peter schreyer.

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The HS has a mid 8 second 0-60 time and has more than enough performance around town. If its in ECO mode it can be sluggish. Its not a Mustang V-8 for crying out loud.

You are trolling here again. It is NOT your HS but your FATHER'S HS. Something tells me he is satisfied with his car but you don't like it, you wish he bought a Hyundai or Kia.

I've warned you and more importantly the site administrator did.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hs-...4-5-mpg-3.html

To which you apologize to the forum.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hs-...s-a-troll.html

Your access to this forum will be discussed as you seemingly don't want to participate here in a productive manner.

Last edited by mikemareen; 08-19-10 at 09:39 AM.
Old 08-19-10, 12:17 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,280 Likes on 1,386 Posts

Mikemareen, check your PM.