HS 250h Model (2010-2012)

HS vs Prius

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-10, 07:02 AM
Fogcutter
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Terrapin
While both are hybrids, I think the HS and Prius are fundamentally different cars. My wife has a 2010 Prius and loves it. Worst mileage so far has been 48, best 54.7. It is handy with the hatch, almost like a small SUV. Interior is nice enough (we have a III), but I find the seats uncomfortable after a long stretch behind the wheel. I have done a short test drive in the HS and sat in plenty of them. The visible luxury is most noticeable and the seats feel more comfortable. IMHO, buy the Prius if you want economy and utility. Buy the HS if you want more luxury at the expense of some mileage.
Well said -- I agree completely. Every vehicle has a mission -- super mileage, something has to give like weight and noise dampening. Quiet and safety more important, the mileage suffers. Just have to pick our priorities.

We're spoiled. Lexus will likely win when the time comes. For my nickel I'd get another RX 450h -- I like to haul things. Guess my inner farm boy is showing. The wife likes 'a car'.

thanks again to everyone for the feedback. I really like the HS and the Car and Driver reviewers missed the point entirely. Not a rare event.
Old 04-03-11, 03:59 PM
starnuzzer
Driver School Candidate

My husband responded to the thread on page 1 about an HS vs a Camry Hybrid and the question about a Prius came up. He has the Prius and I have the HS, but of course he drives the HS on weekends. So here was his response to the question:

I was asked to coment on the differences between the Prius and the HS being as the Prius is my daily driver and I drive the HS when we go anywhere in it on weekends or trips.

First off, I have the 2010 Prius III w/Nav, so no power seats, no leather, no seat heaters (although I have added the last two), nor all the rest of the refinement that comes with a Lexus. What it does have over the HS is more cargo capacity, more rear seat room and better gas mileage (I'm averaging 50+ mpg city). It's a great daily commuter, but the Lexus is more fun to drive, feels more planted, and is quieter. Obviously the HS has more power because of the larger engine, but to my surprise, the Prius is no slouch either. Handling is much better with the HS as well, but again, it's heavier and has 18" performance tires compared to the Prius' 15" LLR tires. Both have Navigation and they look and feel similar, but the HS has more functions than the Prius Nav. I purchased my Prius in Jul last year when fuel prices were down, and paid $3300 under Invoice, we purchased the HS in Jan just before gas prices jumped and paid $4000 below Invoice, so we feel we did well on both purchases. Budget wise, the Prius definitely wins being as it was $10K less than the HS and gets about 16 mpg better than the HS, but if your looking for creature comfort, good gas mileage, and money is not an object, definitely consider the HS! Having two hybrids has definitely reduced our monthly fuel bill, and having a super milage miser and a luxury miser gives us flexibility and versatility without sacrificing fuel economy. Hope this helps...
Attached Images (images didn't come over, but you can see them on the original post (HS vs Camry Hybrid).

Last edited by starnuzzer; 04-03-11 at 04:00 PM. Reason: adding
Old 04-04-11, 07:02 AM
Paul58
Driver School Candidate

Ahhh, thanks...
Old 04-04-11, 12:25 PM
DDS62
Driver

From what I have been hearing and knowing what I paid, I think you should be able to buy an HS premium with the package "b" options of Blue tooth, Rear Camera, Entry Exit Assist and Nav for around $35,000. Well maybe not now (just after the quake), but certainly many people were buying them at that price before.