HS 250h Model (2010-2012)

HS vs Prius

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-10, 02:46 PM
Fogcutter
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HS vs Prius

Took the 450h in for service and spent the day driving an HS 250h loaner. What a delightful car -- the wife loved it. I really liked the shift controls, but I liked the entire car. The base stereo is better than the 450h IMHO.

Hit the web looking for comments and dang, review after review directed folks to buy a Prius instead. I have not driven a Prius, and it is cheaper, but neither is it a Lexus.

Help me out. Are the experts all wet?

Thanks.
Old 10-02-10, 04:19 PM
LexFather

THere is a thread here but I can't find it where some members compared it. THere are some Prius owners on here so hopefully someone will chime in.
Old 10-02-10, 05:27 PM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Fogcutter
Took the 450h in for service and spent the day driving an HS 250h loaner. What a delightful car -- the wife loved it. I really liked the shift controls, but I liked the entire car. The base stereo is better than the 450h IMHO.

Hit the web looking for comments and dang, review after review directed folks to buy a Prius instead. I have not driven a Prius, and it is cheaper, but neither is it a Lexus.

Help me out. Are the experts all wet?

Thanks.
I owned a Prius now have a RX400h had several of the HS250h for loaners did about 500 miles I find it way better than a Prius. I even went and test drove the latest Prius but I like the HS better.
Old 10-04-10, 06:09 AM
acheparev
Driver

If you add on all the option to make a Prius similarly equipped to an HS, you are looking in the mid 30's range. Add a couple thou and you can get an HS. I looked at a Prius before getting the HS, and to spend that much on a Prius didn't make sense. Plus, I hate those tiny wheels
Old 10-04-10, 01:07 PM
Magellan55

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

They are different cars for different purposes - the HS is not a dressed up Prius. Sort of like comparing the GS450h to the Toyota Camry hybrid :-)
Old 10-04-10, 04:05 PM
Canesguy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Some comments on the comparison....

I've had both the HS20h Premium and the Prius IV, both 2010's. There are some similarities certainly but, at the same time, they are quite different. The Lexus is more luxurious from its ride to its interior appointments. The leather in the Prius is hard like vinyl but that of the Lexus is buttery soft and aromatic. Although the Lexus is almost 2 seconds faster in the 0-60 mph category, my butt dynamometer doesn't notice that appreciable of a difference. The premium JBL stero in the Prius isn't as good sounding as the standard system in the Lexus. Comparing their nav. systems, the Lexus has more settings and more personaliization options available and it's mouse-like control is more elegant than the Prius' touch screen. The Bluetooth phone system between the two and their mode of radio/satelitte station pre-set storage and phonebook storage is identical and both have Safety-Connect (Toyota/Lexus' On-star). My best mpg on the Lexus has been 42 with an average about 38 mpg Vs. best mpg of 62 and average of 50 with the Prius. Their CVT automatic shifters are almost identical as are their back-up cameras. The Lexus does everything with more class, poise and quietness.

Overall, considering the Lexus' degree of luxury and its MRSP of about $42K compared to $30,500 for my Prius, the nod goes to the Prius. The Prius even has a nifty high-tech. solar sunroof not even offered on the Lexus.

Last edited by Canesguy; 10-04-10 at 04:15 PM.
Old 10-04-10, 04:47 PM
hyperme
Driver

I've had my HS for 4.5 months and still thoroughly look forward to everytime I get to drive it. Prior auto was an ES350 and I still have an RX350 but never have I had so much fun driving a car as I do with the HS. Being able to ride in luxury while chasing that MPG carrot cannot be beat.
Old 10-04-10, 06:30 PM
CoeHawk
Driver School Candidate

This is the only reviewer that understands this car: http://www.carguydad.com/2010-lexus-hs250h/#more-3095

Hence, my comment to that effect at the bottom of the page.
Old 10-04-10, 08:16 PM
YotaCarFan
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The "professional" reviewers tend to focus on the following: sportiness (0-60 time and cornering ability), fuel economy, cost, and styling. Based on those criteria, the Prius is better than he HS250h: it is cheaper, gets better MPG, is almost as fast, and has a similar avant-gard futuristic look inside (gadgets) and out (shape).

While the above criteria are important, many consumers are interested in other factors as much or more than these, and therein lie many differences between the two cars. Such as:

- HS has additional NVH reduction compared to Prius and Camry Hybrid, such as more advanced motor mounts, more/thicker sound deadening panels under hood, addition of rubber washers between door panel pegs and door frame, sound deadeners on HVAC ducts, etc. (Don't get me started on the idiotic loud clicking relay in the dash that accompanies every press/release of the brake pedal - it's actually louder than the turn signal clicker, and the noisy wiper motor, though.)

- HS has better quality seats: more comfortable ergonomics, power adjusters, seat bottom angle adjuster, softer leather (on Premium trim model)

- HS has more power (it has the 2AZ-FXE engine shared with the Camry Hybrid, which is bigger than the Prius one). Admittedly, it's a heavier car so some of the power is sapped hauling the extra mass, but it is still faster overall

- The electronics options are more extensive (ignoring he fact the Prius can be had with LED headlights but the HS cannot unless special ordered): hard disk vice DVD navigation system is slightly faster, eDestinations feature, HUD is available (US spec Prius doesn't ge this), power adjust steering column with auto tilt away, configurable roll down of windows via fob, front camera, rain sensing wipers, etc.

-HS has typical Lexus luxury features not on Prius: puddle lamps and turn signals built into outside mirrors, auto dimming outside mirrors, cooled (and heated) seats, footwell ambient lighting, cupholder lighting (LED in ceiling), power release instead of mechanical for trunk and fuel filler, illumination of all switchgear including outside mirror adjusters, lock and window switches, trunk and fuel opener buttons, gear shifter, etc. It also has a more conservative / sophisticated combination meter with analog displays (plus the digital HUD display so you get both). The HS also has more soft touch materials than its Toyota sibling, although not as much as other Lexus models.

- HS comes with supposedly better dealership experience than Prius. I say supposedly because Toyota does a poor job of ensuring consistent quality labor at its Lexus dealers, and Toyota does not properly address situations where customers experience multiple and/or significant problems with their vehicle or are otherwise dissatisfied with its quality.

Last edited by YotaCarFan; 10-04-10 at 08:21 PM.
Old 10-05-10, 07:47 AM
Kamil1976
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CoeHawk
This is the only reviewer that understands this car: http://www.carguydad.com/2010-lexus-hs250h/#more-3095

Hey, thanks CoeHawk! I'm the guy who wrote the review. I have noticed some traffic come from this site, but not before I made the above thread.

-Kamil
Old 10-05-10, 07:59 PM
Magellan55

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by CoeHawk

Yeah, not bad. Agree that the A3 TDI is the closest competitor - it was my other option. Not sure where the "abundance of storage" is though.
Old 10-19-10, 09:45 AM
cardalums
10th Gear

We owned a HS 250h for about a year and now have a 2010 Prius. That's another story for another tread...

They are definitely completely different cars. HS is much more refined and provides the driver cocoon feel of luxury. The #1 complaint I see on the prius forums is about interior rattles and road noise. The HS is light years ahead in that respect, but as other posters said, they are completely different types of cars. Professional reviewers comparing Prius to HS are likely clueless.
Old 10-19-10, 09:56 AM
Fogcutter
Driver

Thanks for all of the feedback. Looking at specs, the HS is 700 lbs heavier than Prius. And knowing Toyota, that added mass is placed for maximum benefit. (An American car maker might add 700 lbs as a tire jack if it was a buck cheaper to make )

And empirically, mass equals safety. Lots of variables and counter-examples, but I think the extra weight is worth it.

Now the bad news -- the wife wants to keep the BMW 528 another year. Man!

Oh well.

In my mind the user interface in the HS is worth the difference by itself. Don't know if it will make it into the Prius, but my RX is so intuitive, unlike the iDrive, it is worth chasing.

And cardalums, I agree, the reviewers missed it badly. No shock though, reviewers can't seem to get the real cost of a hybrid correct to save their lives.
Old 10-19-10, 12:12 PM
IS350HKS
Lead Lap

Man i need to go test drive a HS one of these day, i own a Prius and i love it for the gas saving part.
Old 10-19-10, 07:42 PM
Terrapin
Driver School Candidate

While both are hybrids, I think the HS and Prius are fundamentally different cars. My wife has a 2010 Prius and loves it. Worst mileage so far has been 48, best 54.7. It is handy with the hatch, almost like a small SUV. Interior is nice enough (we have a III), but I find the seats uncomfortable after a long stretch behind the wheel. I have done a short test drive in the HS and sat in plenty of them. The visible luxury is most noticeable and the seats feel more comfortable. IMHO, buy the Prius if you want economy and utility. Buy the HS if you want more luxury at the expense of some mileage.

Quick Reply: HS vs Prius