HS 250h Model (2010-2012)

Getting 32-33mpg

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-11, 08:24 PM
noku
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I hate to flame a product w/o firsthand experience but the gfc website does not post any real world data by an independent source nor any of it's own test data. Why? Probably because the claims are either not true or insignificant. A chassis dynometer could easily validate such claims to any horsepower/torque increase and if fuel consumption doesn't change you should get a mpg increase as well. Road tests are inconclusive in my mind because of the many variables that could affect the outcome.

I'll reserve judgement until a later time when more "facts" and not random claims are reported.
Old 05-13-11, 03:00 PM
hyperme
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I prefer to keep my tires at max sidewall rather than the recommended PSI. Definitely realize a noticable increase in coasting distance. I have 10k miles on them and they still look brand new. I hypermile just about 100% of the time. If you work it, the HS can return some great MPG figures.
Old 05-17-11, 11:57 AM
agie95
Driver School Candidate

I typically get around 44 per my car and at fill-up it is around 42. I def. used hybrid driving methods and I do have my tires at 45 psi. I drive in the Dallas Metroplex during rush hour mostly.
Old 05-19-11, 01:15 AM
hyperme
Driver

Originally Posted by agie95
I typically get around 44 per my car and at fill-up it is around 42. I def. used hybrid driving methods and I do have my tires at 45 psi. I drive in the Dallas Metroplex during rush hour mostly.
44mpg is very good. You definitely have most beat. Keep hypermiling and keep improving on that number.
Old 05-21-11, 03:37 PM
acheparev
Driver

In NYC I have been averaging 28 mpg the last few months (LOL). I just came back from the Hamptons (Country Driving), and my mpg is 37 after spending a week driving around town. It was actually 39 after a 2 hour drive out there, 30 minutes of it was local.

It's too difficult to hyper-mile in stop and go traffic in the city. I wonder if diesel cars get better mileage in city driving compared to hybrids.
Old 05-22-11, 05:50 PM
agie95
Driver School Candidate

Default city vs highway

I get better mpg in the stop and go traffic versus just free flowing driving on the highways. I just let the idle drive the car in those situations or if it is flowing at 5 to 10 mph then I def. just coast most of the time. I drive mostly during rush hour traffic on I-35 in Dallas.
Old 05-29-11, 03:00 AM
wase4711
Rookie

do you notice the ride is excessively harsh when you have the tires filled to 40psi?
Old 05-29-11, 08:23 AM
DDS62
Driver

Originally Posted by wase4711
do you notice the ride is excessively harsh when you have the tires filled to 40psi?
Truth be told the ride is harsh when the tires are under inflated.
Old 05-29-11, 01:02 PM
Pat8635
Driver School Candidate

Default Harsh RIde

Not really...I like a tighter ride and 45 psi seems to be a nice balance. There are many going up to over 50psi. I have yet to try that!
Old 05-30-11, 03:22 AM
JamesDemo
Rookie

You must learn how to drive with a little lighter foot!
Old 05-30-11, 06:49 AM
wase4711
Rookie

Originally Posted by DDS62
Truth be told the ride is harsh when the tires are under inflated.
Interesting; some cars have a horrible ride when the tires get too hard

I havent checked the sidewall ratings on the Toyo tires that came with the car; we just got it Saturday evening..
Old 05-30-11, 10:38 AM
Pat8635
Driver School Candidate

So far everyone has the same Toyo tire with 51 psi on the sidewall.

Also, I had my 15,000 check and have done some playing. I left the car with a full tank of gas and with all the idle time when the car is being serviced and cleaned my mpg was at 31 when I got it back and I had left it over at 40mpg only 15 miles into the tank. I was going to fill up and reset, but as gas prices have been coming down so I waited and decided to "play" with some of the other features of the car.

I am now at 37MPG which is shocking because...

I have used the power mode for over half the tank and unfortunately, really like the way the car drives. You will notice your climate control acts differently than in ECO Mode. The early reviews of the car didn't like the transmission. The only time it has bothered me was in power mode driving it more like a sports car than a hybrid.

SOC stays higher, but I have yet to get that elusive top bar to light up...hummm...

I have also used the cruise more and when I compare my touch to the cruise, it isn't pretty. The cruise is better in ECO mode than power or normal.

So I have learned in 7 months and 15,000 miles....

1. Inflate your tires to at least 45psi, my dealer agrees and will fill them to that level if customer requests.

2. You don't have to do all the hypermiling techniques but I do pay attention to the following.

A. Get a scangauge and make sure that after water temp is over 157 that the ICE is cutting off properly and if not, I find a place to stop for 10 seconds to get it to flip over to that final stage. I also like the exact MPG and the RPM readouts.

B. In San Antonio this only really matters a few months of the year because my ICE can be warmed up in less than 3 miles most of the year, but if you can make your first trip the longest so that your fully warm up the ICE it helps the rest of your trips.

C. Choose routes that avoid traffic and let you drive more efficiently. I have a two mile stretch that includes a slight hill and then a gradual down hill and flat. My goal is to do that w/o the ICE ever starting up both ways. My blood pressure seems lower too....

D. The orange lines showing the ICE engaged are not 100%...if you don't have a scangauge, trust your other senses.

E. Especially below 40 and over 55 (don't ask my why not in the middle) if you are driving at a steady speed, let off the gas a bit and slowly add it back. You can add as much as 10MPG by doing that...and I think is one of the reasons that the pulse and glide works so well for hybrids. It is more getting the ICE and EM to readjust to your current condition and not being prepared for an acceleration. MY GUESS ONLY from my experience.

I usually get an average of 40 mpg. My car shows consistently over 40, but the SGII and my math come in a bit lower. Some tanks I get 42+ others 39...just depends on the gas I get sometimes too. So far Costco is the best! Can't believe with all my playing I have this tank up to 37 and it will not go higher as I am 50 miles past the orange low gas light coming on, so I will be filling up today.

Any other easy tricks that people have learned?
Old 05-30-11, 01:15 PM
hyperme
Driver

Originally Posted by Pat8635
Not really...I like a tighter ride and 45 psi seems to be a nice balance. There are many going up to over 50psi. I have yet to try that!
I'm one of those that go over 50psi, and yes the ride is a little rougher, but I'm used to it by now and I love the extra glide it gives me. I just had my 10,000 mile service. I find that the 2 most influencial hypermiling techniques are P&G and DWB, which I use extensively (I use many others but those two make the biggest impact). I have been lucky enough to manage a lifetime average of just over 55mpg. I was averaging just under 60mpg before I took a big hit with my first winter. I wish they made EBH's for the HS, that would be huge in these midwest winters.
Old 05-30-11, 01:50 PM
JayGoldste
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hyperme
I wish they made EBH's for the HS, that would be huge in these midwest winters.
An engine block heater is standard on HSes (plural sp?) sold on the Canadian prairies, and an option in other regions. Here's the description of the block heater on the Lexus Canada website:

Block Heater $220.00 (Lexus Installed MSRP)
Custom designed for your Lexus providing 400 watts of heating power.
Provides easy cold weather starts reducing engine wear. Provides faster interior warm-up. Includes a 'strain relief' electrical cord.

Perhaps you can buy one from a Canadian dealer and get it installed locally.
Attached Thumbnails Getting 32-33mpg-hs250h-block-heater.jpg  
Old 05-30-11, 03:13 PM
acheparev
Driver

Originally Posted by hyperme
I'm one of those that go over 50psi, and yes the ride is a little rougher, but I'm used to it by now and I love the extra glide it gives me. I just had my 10,000 mile service. I find that the 2 most influencial hypermiling techniques are P&G and DWB, which I use extensively (I use many others but those two make the biggest impact). I have been lucky enough to manage a lifetime average of just over 55mpg. I was averaging just under 60mpg before I took a big hit with my first winter. I wish they made EBH's for the HS, that would be huge in these midwest winters.
What is DWB?

Quick Reply: Getting 32-33mpg