HS 250h Model (2010-2012)

Family member possibly picking up a HS(Updated Premium Nav/Tech bought)

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-11, 08:04 PM
LexFather

Update...,,,..

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Wanted to update since we hook up with my folks often on weekends to hang out and we usually drive the HS.

I noticed the light colored seats have the denim wearing on it already in the drivers seat. Scotchguard I guess? Otherwise the car has no problems to report mechanically. She loves her HS and "gasp" people seem to like it but I can't tell looking at sales She stated the other day some people in a new ES started to talk to her at a light to ask how she liked it and the wife in the car was real interested in it. Surely its LFA in traffic

Driving the car pretty tamely I really prefer the base 17" wheels to the 18" wheels in regards to the ride. Shame it looks better with the 18"s. I just don't think 45 series tires are needed here and we will likely try a 50 series when they need replacing. The ride isn't bad but for a car that isn't really hustled it just feels at odds to feel this much road. I also think the shocks are too sensitive. My GSh rides much better to me (and it should I guess).

We ride with 4 people and space is fine, roomier than the IS in the back not as spacious as the ES. A good fit between the two. I really like the airy windows, you get a good feel for whats around you compared to a lot of cars today with slits for windows.

The trunk is a good size at 12.1 cubes, not huge but better than my GS. We have no issues shopping and have never needed to put anything inside the car.

I don't think I really reported on the dynamic radar cruise before and I have to say I love it. A few years ago DaveGS4 showed me how it worked in his LS 430 but I guess from the passenger seat I didn't get a true feel for it.

With the HS you set the cruise with the familiar cruise stalk and on the steering wheel there is a button for the radar cruise. When you press it "radar Cruise" pops in the screen inside the battery level usage meter. You have 3 different lengths to set it in regards to how closely you want to follow the car before you. 3 bars show and you pick the bar, 3 bars is furthermost and 1 bar is closest. You also see your speed on the display that you set the cruise in. What a great feature for cruising on the highway! It takes awhile for your brain to trust the car but if a car breaks the set radar barrier, the car will slow itself down! You can see the speedometer slowing up and the car slow down. Depending on how close the car is is how the HS will slow down, in other words it can be slightly abrupt if a car cuts close and pretty seamless if the car in front merely slows down.

Lane assist is still odd to me. Didn't like it in the M56 and don't like it here. They keep it off most times except at night, where it seems to help if one is sleepy. I find it beeps when it wants when you get off exit ramps and sometimes it doesn't beep when you cross the center lane. I can do without this.

I have to say I really like the tech and I hope all Lexus models get these features. The HUD is great also, shows when you change volume, it displays direction changes when you have a set destination in the NAV and of course speed.

MPG is between 32-36 MPG average with 4 people, not just highway so that is impressive. The car feels like a nomal car in power mode. In ECO mode it lacks spark. EV mode is nice for driving in parking lots and neighborhoods.

There is a niche for this car but its not for me and unless you are a techie (the tech in this car is not available in most cars this price range) the styling is hard to overcome. I was thinking "maybe a black/black DD in the future?" but I prefer the CT to me even if its slower.