HS 250h Model (2010-2012)

Family member possibly picking up a HS(Updated Premium Nav/Tech bought)

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-10, 09:16 AM
LexFather

Cool Family member possibly picking up a HS(Updated Premium Nav/Tech bought)

Hey everyone,

I've read around this forum and even posted a lot of the stuff here. Any thing in particular I need to look for? Any options you feel are must haves and others not really?

In really reviewing the option list, I can't believe some of the stuff this car offers at this price point. Very impressive. It also jacks the price up though but there are tremendous deals on the HS now.

The premium seems to be the way to go but I'm thinking you can also get a base for REAL cheap with the incentives around.

I guess I need to play the ML system against the base system. The base system was average to me.

LEDs are a $1800 option and seems stand alone and rare.

Thanks!
Old 11-23-10, 10:03 AM
IS-Fly168
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yo yo yo,, wassup... I suggest getting a premium,, unless you plan on modding it.. the premium has the way nicer wood looking interior over the flat black panels,, unless you plan on adding a dash kit on it,, then thats another story.. Premium also comes with the way nicer looking 18s over the cheap looking 17s,, I so regret not keeping my stock IsF 19s when I traded in the car,, It would have looked so nice on our red HS.. lol and obviously,, the navi and back up camera is a must on this car,, the screen flips out from the dash and its really nice and big and clear.. way better than the screen that was on my IsF. I think the led option is a big waste of money,, I converted every single bulb on my HS for about $250.. I mean every bulb!!! I put hid top and bottom, led for every interior dome light, license plate light, door light,, etc... the system in the HS is pretty ok,, not like the ML was any much better in the F.. lol The car averages 32mpg unless you really drive like Grandma,, still very good to me. Let me know if you have any other questions.. Hahaha,, I went from one of the fastest Lexus to one of the slowest..
Old 11-23-10, 07:38 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by IS-Fly168
yo yo yo,, wassup... I suggest getting a premium,, unless you plan on modding it.. the premium has the way nicer wood looking interior over the flat black panels,, unless you plan on adding a dash kit on it,, then thats another story.. Premium also comes with the way nicer looking 18s over the cheap looking 17s,, I so regret not keeping my stock IsF 19s when I traded in the car,, It would have looked so nice on our red HS.. lol and obviously,, the navi and back up camera is a must on this car,, the screen flips out from the dash and its really nice and big and clear.. way better than the screen that was on my IsF. I think the led option is a big waste of money,, I converted every single bulb on my HS for about $250.. I mean every bulb!!! I put hid top and bottom, led for every interior dome light, license plate light, door light,, etc... the system in the HS is pretty ok,, not like the ML was any much better in the F.. lol The car averages 32mpg unless you really drive like Grandma,, still very good to me. Let me know if you have any other questions.. Hahaha,, I went from one of the fastest Lexus to one of the slowest..
Thanks for the reply. How does one chose the two tone grey/black leather? I see pics for it but an unfamiliar with it. Also much prefer the shadow wheels to the silver, guess that is an option?

Getting a list of cars tomorrow. Seems not many in stock outside of base models.
Old 11-23-10, 07:59 PM
Magellan55

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm not a gadget guy, so my opinions may not match a lot of other HS owners :-) I was actually just looking for an upscale sport sedan/hatch that got over 30 mpg highway and had high reliability, and the HS won.

I like the Premium interior better - just had a base model for a loaner (they didn't even have any to try when I bought my car), and I didn't like how cheap the seats and trim looked in comparison. Though the leather in the premium does stain easy in the lighter colors. IMO the 17" Michelin touring tires on the base are a better match for the suspension, and a lot cheaper to replace.

If you like nav at all, the HS dash seems designed around it, and that mouse is really cool. I bought mine without nav, and while I don't need it, the dash does seem a little weird without the mouse, jutting out the way it does. And I also prefer having radio and HVAC controls /displays handy and not have to go fumbling through nav screens looking for them. I guess I'm just old school that way :-)

I tried a loaded car before I bought, and I just don't see the point of the backup camera or front camera - it's not like this is a huge SUV.

If you want the LED's or ML, I hear they take months to special order - you'll likely have a hard time finding one on the lot to even try out. The base stereo isn't bad, but isn't as nice sounding as the one in my old 9-5.

The biggest issue I've found driving the HS is the throttle lag - it's like waiting on a big turbo to spool up or something. So definitely try hitting the gas from a stop and while cruising to see how much it bothers you - it's not conducive to passing on a busy 2 lane road, or squirting through an opening in oncoming traffic while making a left turn.

Check out the trunk size - make sure it's big enough for whatever you might do with it. My wife has a minivan, so I figured I didn't need a trunk on my car, but many times I wish it was bigger as swapping cars with my wife during the week is a pain. I really miss folding rear seats.

Happy shopping!
Old 11-23-10, 10:51 PM
IS-Fly168
Lead Lap

ahh,, the acceleration on this car is indeed slow!! its not that bad if you have it on the pwr mode,, with the power mode, it accelerates somewhat like a normal car,, but if try to be frugal and put it in the eco mode.. forget it,, its like driving a public bus,, lol regarding the grey/black interior,, I think thats the stock set up for the grey interior,, its not 100% grey but a mixture of both color,, I got the black color interior so its all black,, however on my gf's previous is250 she had the grey/black interior and it was just sitting in the dealers lot,, so I doubt that its a special order for that interior combo.. I would have to agree,, the 17inch rims and tires combo does indeed makes more sense for a Hybid Lexus driver,, the smaller diameter is obviously cheaper to replace and alot easier for a hybrid to start up from a stop light,, but for me,, Looks are more important,, so I prefer the bigger wheels and I usually dont keep my car long enough to even wear out a set of tires.. lol
Old 11-24-10, 09:31 AM
LexFather

Thank you! I agree the ride with the 17s are more plush and fitting for this potential buyer though the 18s are not harsh. The 18s of course look better but as Magellan55 stated the 17s will be far cheaper to replace.

The only models coming are premium with NAV, parking assist with around a 41k MSRP. No ML or much anything else. So it would either be an order or they would have to find it elsewhere. Surely we would get a better deal on what is on the lot or what has been ordered.

Thanks so much. The family member has a base HS loaner for almost a week now so they really are enjoying their time with it. They are coming from a RX and they feel the HS really is a nice medium between the RX and ES. They note the higher ride height and the dash is RX like in looks and ease of use.

Acceleration is not an issue, they person drives slow and never got a speeding ticket.
Old 11-24-10, 09:33 PM
IS-Fly168
Lead Lap

yeah,, the rebates are pretty good,, I didnt check it this month,, but we got ours with a sticker price of $41,275 and I chewed them down to $34,500,, thats the only reason we got this car,, cant really beat a Lexus for less than $35k.. not a stripped model,, a pretty loaded one.. and the hybrid part was a bonus...
Old 11-26-10, 08:31 AM
Magellan55

The two-tone seats are part of the sport package available on the base model - it also comes with sport tuned suspension and 18" wheels (chromed version of the Premium's).

Wow that's a huge discount! I think I got about $3K off my premium non-nav HS back in Feb (before the gas cap recall). Hate when that happens - prices going down right after you buy :-(
Old 11-26-10, 03:45 PM
LXTACY
Driver School Candidate

I agree w/everything said but as far as the ML system, I don't have it and wish I got it. But I didn't want to wait 2 months for the car (ML's are not in stock anywhere, special order only). If you're nuts for audio clarity and can wait get the ML package. If 2 months' wait isn't worth it for you (I'd guess thats 95% of people out there) then the stock system is good enough.
Old 11-26-10, 06:10 PM
LexFather

Thanks everyone!

We picked up a Silver Opal Mica HS premium with Nav, front cam and Tech package. I'll post a review soon.

Cannot belive no HID and no LED/ML anywhere...(looks at HID kits lol)

thanks again

Mike
Old 11-26-10, 06:41 PM
Magellan55

Congrats! Beautiful color.
Old 11-26-10, 07:05 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Magellan55
Congrats! Beautiful color.
Thanks....they were very happy with the Starfire Pearl/beige car and I showed them the other colors online and explained we had to see them in person to get the full effect.

Our salesman Frank Mullin and our dealership Hennessy Lexus of Gwinnett are INCREDIBLE to work with. They had a few HSs in the rear and they got to look at all the colors. It was an overcast day so the blue tint on the Aurora White Pearl was blazing. They also had that same color inside so we got to see how it changes color and is near white under light. She likes blue and liked this color a lot, thought it was going to be the winner.

As soon as she saw the Silver Opal Mica she was like "wow" and pretty much decided she loved that color. Luckily they had some cars in that color there with options we wanted. It also changes colors as you all know depending on the light and it is an original color and looks good in the HS.

(FYI I also saw in person a RARE Black Opal Mica, the purple color, in the showroom a couple of months ago. I took pics but never posts b/c its hard to tell from a cell phone. Lovely in the HS, my younger teenage sister loved it).

The interior color was all "Water Gray" with this color.

My write-up

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Well this was interesting

Intro...Loaners.....
I've mentioned quite a few times how Lexus loaners sell themselves. In this case it is the HS. While we have thought about a new car for this person they really didn't seem to enthused about any particular vehicle outside the VW Beetle and an older SC 430. If you were good you might have noticed me posting a little in the SC 430 forum snooping around for this person. While I am a fan of the build quality I also feel its built off older tech whose time has passed. But it wasn't going to be my car so I was searching.....

I think I told the story here how years ago I surprised my mother with a RX 300 AWD for her B-day 8 years ago, showing up to her job with it. It had 60k or so miles. Today it has 211k miles and it was a proud, worn warrior. We took real good care of her and she never failed, going through mostly tires and a couple of minor fixes and including my hard driving for a few months. At 211k though, the leather was worn, the tranny was old, the door locks were going one by one and the beige coverings showed their trips to Home Depot. She served well.

Last week the RX was taken in for some work but it wasn't good, she needed serious surgery according to CL moderator VVTi. When asked what loaner to get the HS was asked for instead of the usual ES/RX. The curiosity of the hybrid and the MPG was a reason.

Meet the long shot
So I started to get calls about the HS and all about it and how much she loved the HS. I thought it was just exaggeration until I spoke with them and they went on and on about how they loved the vehicle. Now I am a Lexus supporter but the HS isn't my first choice for a vehicle. I even went to TLN last week to explain how I was trying to TALK SOMEONE OUT OF A LEXUS. Never thought that would happen.

Looks were never an issue with this person. They like the size (not much larger than a 1RX which is 180" long, the HS 184") and were a huge fan of the ride height. The HS sits rather high for a car, giving a person a near crossover view of the road, much higher than my non dropped GSh. So coming from a SUV, its a pretty easy transition. Another positive was the dash design which again resembles various RXs adding to familiarity. Remote Touch is a huge hit here. Another positive is the trunk room which is 12.1 cubes but is shaped very well.

There were more selling points. This car will NOT be hussled, will not be sped in, will not be driven hard. It will be driven SLOWLY 95% of the time. So the drive is perfect for this buyer. Mind you this car does drive better TO ME than an ES, far more Euro.

The HS takes regular gas. This adds to its great MPG of 35 MPG. This is literally twice the MPG of the RX 300 AWD being traded in. They are betting gas prices will rise and they want better MPG.

Now true my review and time with the HS was with a base model and its a good car but the styling put me off and I wasn't blown away. However it wasn't going to be my car and my pops and I have learned BUY WHAT SHE WANTS, advice given by Clublexus O.Gs.

So we had a SELOC meet last Friday and they drove the loaner and again, she is raving about the car and even EXPLAINING things to me. She was genuinely interested in the car. It is always quite amazing to see a non-car person become a car person over their interest in a particular car. My salesman Frank Mullin at Hennessy Lexus of Gwinnett was nice enough to bring an IS C to the meet as well for members to look over. I didn't even mention the HS to him b/c I still didn't think she was serious.

Over the weekend I hear more and more about the HS so I make the call to Frank Monday about the HS. Now I have to admit I was pretty ignorant to all the optional technology this car offers. I knew it offered it but never really put much thought into it. So I did some research and asked the HS forum questions. I pushed for a loaded car since we buy cars and don't lease them. Hennessy let her hold the HS loaner for over a week until we decided was the RX getting fixed or was another car going to be bought.

Wednesday we decided to go in Friday for a possible purchase depending on what was on the lot. I visit her and she is watching the online videos of the HS at Lexus.com (I wasn't even aware Lexus had explanation videos). She explains the optional tech and safety features. LOL!

"The car chooses you" only
works in the movies

So they wanted a HS premium over HS base. HS premium adds;
cooled seats, (over just heated)
wood trim, (over grey trim)
power tilt/etc steering,
rain sensing wipers,
18" wheels
90 lbs heavier
10 way power seats both sides (over 8 way passenger on base)

Why? Cooled seats are great in the summer. Wood trim is classier (more on this later though below) and the power steering wheel is simply great to move out of the way when you get out the car (I think its a feature we take for granted). 18" wheels look better BUT for these people they prefer a meatier sidewall for ride and price purposes (hate the thought of replacing tires due to them being so thin).

Since this was going to be a purchase and maybe kept for 8-10 years it was decided to load it up with the Tech package.

So to be fair let me explain the negatives

This is frustrating for those that want loaded cars or cars you want to build;

1. Lexus makes a cool two-tone black/water gray interior. However it is only available with the TOURING PACKAGE on the BASE MODEL. Da hell?
2. This package also includes, dark gloss wheels (which I think would have been great), a sport package (different springs/shocks), aluminum pedals, lighted door sills (heated seats and spolier). Again no luck if you want premium.

3. I had no idea HIDs were not standard. I thought the LEDs were optional after the HIDs. The HS has projector halogens and LEDs are a $1800 option with headlight washers. Well we wanted it. Only thing is NO HS has it IN THE COUNTRY. It is special order only. SMH....I can't believe the car can have a camera looking at your face inside the car but no HIDs. (so I have to order a slap in kit lol)

4. Mark Levinson is also a stand alone option and NO HSs have it. Special order only. SMH. The base system is 10 speakers, the ML is 15 speakers and again wanted it loaded. Now the main driver was not huge on wanting ML, they said the base system was fine so this wasn't a deal breaker. Still though.....

5. This is something both of them noticed before I did. The premium model has ugly black 1992 Lexus scuff plates. They are not aluminum, they don't say Lexus, they are not illuminated. I didn't give it a second thought but after seeing them illuminated in blue in the RXh and even the chrome plate in the IS/ES this is pretty whack. (this does mean I will start a GB on illuminated plates soon). It might seem petty but it does look cheap compared to newer models.

6. Lexus offers blackwood in other Lexus models with grey leather but not in the HS.

7. No 2011s have arrived and I am ASSUMING it will get LED daytime lights and of course other small touches. I also assume it might get a hybrid engine upgrade for its MMC but I was told that won't happen.

8. The base 17" wheels get Michelin tires. 18" wheels get Toyos. This was a small issue as Michelins were desired since previous experience has been superb and we all have Michelins. They had no idea who/what Toyo was so I had to explain they are okay and a brand that is relatively popular especially for its price point. Surely when they need replacing Michelins will be purchased.

9. License Plate lights seem to be halogen and not LED. INterior lights are a mix of halogen and LED. I really don't feel like upgrading a new car to LED smh.

Well ordering a car wasn't really an option and LEDs/ML were not deemed must haves. So that led us to the main options offered.

Making the choice

1. NAV with back up cam. She loves the flip up NAV and more importantly LOVED the REMOTE TOUCH. She found it simple and easy to use and was a huge fan of it as it did remind her of a mouse on a computer. Loved the rear camera and the NAV is a bigger, clearer screen. Putting in the address on the move isn't an issue b/c
a-they have iPhones with google maps
b-it has Lexus Enform so they can download new directions

2. The Front View cam. This was deemed something they wanted. It is a stand alone option and they had a non Tech car with this. We all felt it is useful for those times you are trying to squeak out and turn but you cannot see b/c of a bush, sign etc in the way.

3. Tech package. This was a 4k option package. It includes
Pre-Collision and Driver monitor
Intuitive Parking Assist
Dynamic Radar Cruise Control
HUD (Heads Up Display)
Lane Keep Assist
Lane Depature Warning

These are features mostly not found on other Lexus. The HUD was seen as a real winner here. They were really impressed with this package and the additional safety it offered. Speaking of safety the ten airbags were also mentioned and a selling point.

The Buying Experience

We all know the HS isn't selling well so that gave a lot of room to bargain. I also have a stellar relationship with the dealer so we got the car at an incredible price. I can mention there is a 3k rebate on the HS right now. When you add the discounts and rebates the HS seemed like a much better buy ESPECIALLY with the tech package.

The buying experience was superb. It was a cold day but Frank took great care of my folks. VVTi stopped by to say hello and we caught up. They were treated very well and seeing our Finance Manager Brian is always a stress free process as he is straightforward, ethical and pretty damn funny Roses were even purchased for her. As I stated she had the loaner for over a week with no pressure while a decision was made to fix the RX or buy a vehicle and we have to thank the great service Director Joe for that flexibility.

We all felt sad emptying the RX, saying goodbye. Its always funny how something so mechanical can feel like a family member. I have no doubt another Lexus SUV will be bought in the future, maybe something with more towing capacity though.

Competition/Recent publicity
Recalls and negative press never had any effects here, nor anything from the competition. I even mentioned the HS recall and the service was done and it wasn't a factor. The RX (as well as all the cars) has treated them so well they pretty much insist on a Lexus. The RXh we have was not really considered nor the new RXh. I explained the CT was coming but that was not entertained. Seems the HS really got it right with this buyer. The superb dealer relationship and service only cement the product. It is combination that is near impossible to beat. The Lincoln MKZ was mentioned but never a serious option as the ad they saw didn't compel them to check out the car. The Lincoln brand also feels non-existent. The recent purchase is why Lexus continues to do so well even in this tough year with the economy and bad press. The product it still top notch and the dealers stand behind it.

Summary
To end the day they were shown all the features in the new car delivery area which is thankfully indoors. Its a cool process where the car is backed into a large room with a marble floor and art inside. Frank was very patient and took his time and wrote things down he had to follow up on. He and everyone at Hennessy Lexus of Gwinnett has taken outstanding care of our two special ladies this year.

I will soon do a review on the tech package since there are not too many reviews on it.

No pics yet b/c yall know what it looks like and most won't be complimentary anyway.

Thanks

Mike

Last edited by LexFather; 11-26-10 at 08:58 PM. Reason: ]
Old 11-26-10, 10:19 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Thanks everyone!

We picked up a Silver Opal Mica HS premium with Nav, front cam and Tech package. I'll post a review soon.

Cannot belive no HID and no LED/ML anywhere...(looks at HID kits lol)

thanks again

Mike
congrats! another hybrid joining the fold! if you want HID, i'd recommend going with a HID projector kit (not the cheapy HID kits you buy off e-bay). not sure how you feel about ripping into a brand new car to do this, but that is an option.
Old 12-16-10, 11:56 AM
LexFather

Well the car hasn't been driven much and seems to be getting 32 MPG. Its new and short trips are not great for hybrids so its understandable. I drove it recently so here is an update.

I have yet to drive the "sport" HS but I now can compare the model with the 17" wheels vs the 18" wheels that we have. I MUCH prefer the ride on the 17" wheels and to me the handling isn't much different. Sadly b/c of styling the 18" wheels really tidy up the looks compared to the 17s.

Again, the HS drives more "Euro" than a ES and its not bad, pretty predictable. Not really fun or sporty but its not sleeptastic. Steering is great, brakes are great for a hybrid. The view out the car is great.

With the 18s, you obviously feel the road more and I think this is somewhat at odds with the HS here. You sit higher up like a SUV inside but the ride is rougher. Its not harsh mind you but I prefer the quiet and cushiness of the 17s with this car and it fits its personality more. Lexus also seems to go either LOW profile or FAT tire. They don't seem to blend the two and offer a 50 series tire on most models.

Getting to the tech, I love the front view cam. What a treat to have, when u slow down it turns on automatically on the NAV screen and it really helps at bad intersections or when there is a car or bush etc in the way. Its also very helpful when an idiot stops their car way over the line in the left lane and you want to turn right but can't see. The camera really does help.

Lane Assist on the other hand is something I could live without. I reported on the M56S I drove how stupid it was and how it beeped constantly and was just annoying. On the HS it doesn't beep as much but when it does, it is annoying. I want to tell the car "hey I'm not drunk, I saw the line" but it beeps anyway. Then it shows the lines on the HUD screen and on the dash. Needless to say they told me they leave it off most of the time so it seems to be a waste of money.

I tried to "pre-collide" with something while looking away (its like attempting a no look crash/pass in a car) but I couldn't get it to work.

Remote touch is genius. Period. So easy to use.

I also tire of most Lexus seats feeling similar. Hey Lexus what about some seat extenders?

Overall SHE loves it and that is what matters.
Old 12-17-10, 08:57 AM
Magellan55

Nice write up (again). I think I'll wait for you to test drive cars and report before I buy my next one :-)

Can't agree more on the tire/wheel comments. 18's do look better, but don't match the personality or suspension tuning on the Premium (which does not have the sport suspension that the base "sport" models get). Plus the MXV4's on the base model are cheaper and last longer, as I recently discovered, are also better on ice and light snow. Other than the throttle lag, it's my biggest issue with the HS (which means most of my issues are minor quibbles!)

Quick Reply: Family member possibly picking up a HS(Updated Premium Nav/Tech bought)