Too Tough A Call - Camry or HS Hybrids

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-11, 01:46 PM
Trexus
Forum Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by noku
Hi, mahalo for the aloha.

My brother in law shipped his car last year to California but I can't seem to remember what the exact charge was. Thinking about $2000, do you know what the going rate is? I know different vehicles had different rates but his was a regular sedan size (about the size of a ES350).
Mahalo. Not sure what the going rate is now since I left Matson at the end of 2007. Since the economy is in a rough state you can probably negotiate a better rate to ship cars to the mainland or to the island.
Old 03-31-11, 06:44 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats on the HS, there are a lot of good deals out there now.
Old 04-02-11, 07:33 AM
starnuzzer
Driver School Candidate

So excited you chose the HS over the Camry Hybrid! I did the same thing!!! My husband has a Toyota Prius and knew I didn't want the same car so he took me to see and drive the HS. Then he took me to the Toyota lot to drive the Camry Hybrid. I pretty much walked away on a phone call and he mentioned to the Toyota salesman that we just left the Lexus lot driving the HS............the Toyota salesman told my husband, you lost her then! LOL We bought our HS that weekend and have NOT regretted any part of the decision to include how we are treated at the Lexus Dealership Service Department!
Old 04-02-11, 09:38 AM
noku
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^ No regrets for me too. Also found out that the State is contemplating letting hybrids or electric vehicles w/ at least 35mpg (I think combined) special driving privileges like using car pool lanes w/ single driver (its 2/3 or more now). Bill passed for each 100 car parking lot there will be alloted 1 parking designated for a hybrid or EV with 35 mpg. So for 200 there will be 2 special stalls and so on. AS the percentage of these vehicles get sold more spaces will be made available. Of course the Camry would not qualify because it falls short of the mpg limitation.

I couldn't even drive a Prius as they were all sold out. Would be interesting to know which has better handling/braking/steering and ride.

Gas prices here have risen to $4.35 a gallon regular grade at a couple of stations. Hope you live in a better area.
Old 04-02-11, 02:22 PM
Magellan55

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Comparing the Prius to the HS is a bit like comparing the Corolla to the IS250. Yeah, they are about the same size and have the same type of powerplant, but that's about it. The HS is built on a Euro sport sedan chassis, while the Prius is, well, a Prius. Prius wins hands-down for economy, while the HS has some sporting and luxury pretension. Not a lot, but some.
Old 04-02-11, 09:38 PM
noku
Driver

I posted this earlier:

"From what I was told, this dealer never have had any of the premium models and that this car was their most costly w/ the included options."

Found out that the dealer was probably wrong. Got to see the Lexus window sticker for my car and it has HS250hp as being the type of car. Guessing here the the little p on the end means premium. Funny that there's no emblem on the car (outside or inside) that denotes this. I had a '00 ES300 Platinum Edition w/ the Platinum Edition emblems on both sides of the car. Eventually when trying to sell the car I can foresee a lot of confusion for the prospective buyers who are unfamiliar w/ this model if you should lose that window sticker. I know someone posted that if it has nav its a premium, but didn't the base HS have nav as an option?

As far as comparing a HS w/ a Prius. Since I've never driven a Prius nor know of anyone personally who has one I just wanted to hear the opinion(s) of someone who owns both. Most of the time one owns or knows of one very well, and not the other. Or someone looking for an owner's perspective may not not know of either cars. The Prius was on my shortlist when shopping because of the incredible gas mileage it gets and its relative cost. I always like to explore all options before making a buying decision. Others cars that I considered was the Lexus CT, Lincoln MKZ, Ford Fusion, both Honda Civic and Insight, Hyundai Sonata (both gas and hybrid) and the Toyota Camry. I actually narrowed it down to the Camry and Prius, the latter only dropping out because of its non-availability. Dealer said that forthcoming shipments were affected by the tsunami/earthquakes in Japan and all were postponed until an unforeseen time. I didn't even consider the HS until I dropped by the dealer to look at a Lexus CT. The salesman knowing that I didn't like its small interior and cargo space quickly introduced me to the HS. It seemed to be a pretty good car but I was hesitant because of it's 42k plus new sticker price. Because it had been a dealer's courtesy car they had an advertised special (unbeknown-st to me) of a 7k discount. So goes my introduction to the car and the rest is history. I already know that the HS is a better car in a head to head competition as it should be. But is it worth the extra 12k for a new one over a new Prius or Camry? This question is subjective so no right answer can come of it. As for comparisons, if I may humbly disagree, you could compare a Prius w/ a Hummer or even a horse if you wanted to. I find most things have pluses and minuses and w/o asking those of us that are not nearly as well informed as another may be apt to make a wrong choice based upon our own needs. Sure a test drive may suffice for some but others may not be able to make up their minds in such a short time. An ongoing disagreement w/ my wife is her car, she loves her Benz, but I hate it. Is she right or am I? LOL, we both may be wrong because we are not as informed as we should be.

Last edited by noku; 04-03-11 at 12:27 AM.
Old 04-03-11, 01:15 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 163 Likes on 121 Posts

platnium edition was special edition vehicle, premium is just level of equipment, so no emblem for that.
Old 04-03-11, 03:40 AM
noku
Driver

^Thanks for the input. That makes sense but what doesn't make sense is the classification of an upgraded model instead of just making a premium package available as an option like the LS. Perhaps the badge would become too long and wouldn't fit on the trunk so they dropped the p from the HS 250hp. LOL, I can see if all the Camry's lost their model badges, what a mess that would be.
Old 04-03-11, 04:54 AM
starnuzzer
Driver School Candidate

HS definitely rides better than the Prius because it has a more luxury feel. As for the driving, handling, steering, etc. I am deferring to my husband as he is the primary driver and I have only driven it a short distance a couple of times. He will reply to this post soon!
Old 04-03-11, 05:11 AM
Paul58
Driver School Candidate

I was asked to coment on the differences between the Prius and the HS being as the Prius is my daily driver and I drive the HS when we go anywhere in it on weekends or trips.

First off, I have the 2010 Prius III w/Nav, so no power seats, no leather, no seat heaters (although I have added the last two), nor all the rest of the refinement that comes with a Lexus. What it does have over the HS is more cargo capacity, more rear seat room and better gas mileage (I'm averaging 50+ mpg city). It's a great daily commuter, but the Lexus is more fun to drive, feels more planted, and is quieter. Obviously the HS has more power because of the larger engine, but to my surprise, the Prius is no slouch either. Handling is much better with the HS as well, but again, it's heavier and has 18" performance tires compared to the Prius' 15" LLR tires. Both have Navigation and they look and feel similar, but the HS has more functions than the Prius Nav. I purchased my Prius in Jul last year when fuel prices were down, and paid $3300 under Invoice, we purchased the HS in Jan just before gas prices jumped and paid $4000 below Invoice, so we feel we did well on both purchases. Budget wise, the Prius definitely wins being as it was $10K less than the HS and gets about 16 mpg better than the HS, but if your looking for creature comfort, good gas mileage, and money is not an object, definitely consider the HS! Having two hybrids has definitely reduced our monthly fuel bill, and having a super milage miser and a luxury miser gives us flexibility and versatility without sacrificing fuel economy. Hope this helps...
Attached Thumbnails Too Tough A Call - Camry or HS Hybrids-img_0049.jpg  

Last edited by Paul58; 04-03-11 at 05:22 AM.
Old 04-03-11, 05:26 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

^Thanks for the input. That makes sense but what doesn't make sense is the classification of an upgraded model instead of just making a premium package available as an option like the LS. Perhaps the badge would become too long and wouldn't fit on the trunk so they dropped the p from the HS 250hp. LOL, I can see if all the Camry's lost their model badges, what a mess that would be.
ah, i was thinking it from Lexus and my European Toyota perspectives - we never get any factory equipment emblems, except for sport models.... I forgot that Toyota's do that for some cars like Corolla and Camry. But lexus does not, it is really all the same.
Old 04-03-11, 11:07 AM
noku
Driver

Paul58, thank you so much for such a well written, thoughtful, comparison of the two cars. As most know the Prius is the number 1 selling Hybrid in America and I was disappointed that I couldn't get to test drive one or even get to sit in one since all were sold and waiting for delivery. That is a testament in itself on how good the Prius is. The fact that you like the HS as well tells me it is also a great car. And you got great discounts as well.........congratulations!!!!

As gas continues to rise (here some places at $4.35 for regular grade) it is not impossible to imagine $5, $6, $7 a gallon prices before we get our cars replaced w/ vehicles more efficient models. I am curious (hypothetical ?) which car would you get rid of first. The HS or the Prius? No need to answer since it really is a difficult question but I would appreciate your opinion if one is available. If this should happen I'm hoping that my wife gets rid of her beloved Benz
Old 04-03-11, 11:19 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

i think they really messed up exterior on HS. It is made based on Avensis chasis and then they managed to make Corolla out of it.

Avensis has much better proprtions that dont make it look like Corolla.

Old 04-03-11, 11:21 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

not to mention that Avensis Wagon is probably one of the best looking wagons on the road :-)

Old 04-03-11, 11:44 AM
Paul58
Driver School Candidate

Paul58, thank you so much for such a well written, thoughtful, comparison of the two cars. As most know the Prius is the number 1 selling Hybrid in America and I was disappointed that I couldn't get to test drive one or even get to sit in one since all were sold and waiting for delivery. That is a testament in itself on how good the Prius is. The fact that you like the HS as well tells me it is also a great car. And you got great discounts as well.........congratulations!!!!

As gas continues to rise (here some places at $4.35 for regular grade) it is not impossible to imagine $5, $6, $7 a gallon prices before we get our cars replaced w/ vehicles more efficient models. I am curious (hypothetical ?) which car would you get rid of first. The HS or the Prius? No need to answer since it really is a difficult question but I would appreciate your opinion if one is available. If this should happen I'm hoping that my wife gets rid of her beloved Benz
That is a tough question, and I just read your post to my wife, and her response was: well, it would have to be the Prius because I'm not giving up my HS!

Seriously, if money were not an issue, and I had to get rid of one, it would probably be the Prius, but only if I could replace it with a CT!

For me, the Prius is a daily commuter that delivers exceptional gas mileage (I get a consistent 52 - 54 mpg on my mostly city commute of 40 miles round trip). So, it does exactly what I bought it to do, get me to and from work while saving me money on gas. I am fortunate that I have the Lexus HS to drive so I can very easily get my luxury fix when I need it.

I have added a few luxury items to my Prius to make it more comfortable, such as heated leather seats and the auto dimming rear view mirror with home link. Eventually I'd like to upgrade the tires and wheels to enhance the looks and handling as well, but I can wait on that until the current tires need replacing.

Prior to the Prius I had a 2007 GMC Sierria pickup that got 17 mpg and had a 26 gallon tank! I could drive approximately a week and a half per tank, and it cost me dearly to fill the tank, even at $2.50 a gallon! I now fil up about the the same time frame, but it only take about 8 gallons to top the tank after a week and a half of driving! The cost savings in fuel alone each month would about equal a car payment! My wife had a 2008 Honda CRV that she loved, but it only got around 20 - 22 mpg. I didn't think I'd ever get her out of it, and it took getting her the Lexus to do so, but the gas savingsnbetween the two does make her payment each month! Would I do it again? You bet I would!

Quick Reply: Too Tough A Call - Camry or HS Hybrids