HS 250h Model (2010-2012)

Rear window pita

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-11, 11:01 AM
noku
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Rear window pita

Tried cleaning the inside of my rear window yesterday since my dealer didn't. Looks to me like they never did and the car which was a dealer's demo is about a year old.

Tried doing it by hand w/ poor results because I guess the minimum space and it's slope. Anybody find a good and easy way for doing this? Been thinking of getting (forgot what the name is) that microfiber covered triangular shaped thingy attached to a handle to get down near the window's bottom section. Anyone tried one of these and get better results?
Old 04-16-11, 03:21 PM
DDS62
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have noticed how acute an angle that is, but have not needed to clean the window as yet. You can't even get a finger into the corner, and the glass in front of the brake light will be a challenge also. I have put off adding window tint because of those considerations. Even if you have it done, there is a chance the installer will mark or stain the the rear deck (with the spraying of water and all required).

My approach would likely be to cover the seats and rear deck with a fitted plastic cover and then use a hand made flexible plastic (like the lid of a coffee can) tool covered with an old tee shirt soaked in Windex.
Old 04-16-11, 07:31 PM
noku
Driver

^ I will be getting my window tint installed this coming Tuesday and I agree also it looks to be a difficult job so I found a shop whose only installer is the owner who has excellent references and a whole lot of experience (not gonna trust my baby with a newcomer). He'll be installing Huper Optik tint which is one of the more difficult ones. I'll ask how he plans on doing it and any suggestions for keeping it clean.

LOL, I know he has to remove the rear brake light housing and maybe the rear deck and seats too. BTW, my HS is Aurora White but with black interior and in Hawaii you need tint applied to keep cool and for protection. I'm gonna tint my front windshield as well albeit using Llumar Air 80.
Old 04-21-11, 01:04 AM
noku
Driver

^^^FOLLOW UP^^^

OK, got my tint installed and I love it. It blocks over 99% UV A & B light so interior protection is greatly enhanced since auto glass blocks only UV B . The heat rejection properties of the film which I purchased also makes the cabin much cooler and the installer did a tremendous job. He said the installation went smoothly and the rear window wasn't too much of a problem. All that was necessary was to remove the headrests and the rear third brake housing, just slide housing to the right (driver's side) lift and unplug wire.

A Cautionary Note: Not all states allow front windshield tinting. All that do, has certain restrictions so be careful here. Different states also has varying regs on side and rear windows. Check your state regs or your local automobile tinting shops before doing so.

Now, for cleaning the rear window, this is what he uses. He called it a water squeegee which I think is used to apply the tint to the glass. It comes in various sizes, the one he gave me (old used one) was about 18" long, made of plastic and the shape resembles those wooden paint mixers they usually give you at a hardware store when buying paint. Thin, about 3/16" and about 4-5" wide at he bottom. I'm guessing here the width isn't too important and personal preference will prevail. He then uses velcro to attach a microfiber cloth to it. If you have window film on your car he strongly recommends using just plain water to dampen the cloth while cleaning. Keeping the cloth clean will also reduce streaking when done.

I guess anything that's long, thin, wide and sturdy enough which a microfiber cloth can be attached too will suffice. I know you get the idea.
Old 04-21-11, 10:37 AM
Canesguy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default an easy remedy

Originally Posted by noku
I guess anything that's long, thin, wide and sturdy enough which a microfiber cloth can be attached too will suffice. I know you get the idea.
Yeah, something called the Glass Wizard Pro has worked great for me, especially at preventing myself from contorting to get into a difficult space . You can get them at Walgreen's or CVS.

Last edited by Canesguy; 04-21-11 at 10:41 AM.
Old 04-21-11, 02:39 PM
noku
Driver

^Heard about those but was wondering since they look sorta thick, exactly how close to bottom edge of the rear window can they really clean? Looks as though my baby finger can't get all the way to the edge. I know that a tint shop needs to clean the entire glass as much as possible, so his venue may be a bit overkill.
Old 04-22-11, 03:11 PM
DDS62
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info on how to remove the third brake light housing. Anybody know how to remove:
1)rear seats
2)rear deck