HS 250h Model (2010-2012)

Hybrid design

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-11, 11:47 AM
RJQMAN
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by noku
Believe the solar roof on the Prius operates cabin vent fans which lowers the temps during hot days. The a/c can be started w/ the keyless remote before entering the vehicle. I don't own a Prius but I thought these to be what the functionalities are.
You are 100% correct. The solar panel on the roof of some models of Prius drives a small fan that is intended to cool the car interior. This makes zero sense to me, but they did not ask my opinion. Perhaps they are just testing the solar cell concept and plan to do something more practical with them in a few years.
Old 06-15-11, 12:07 PM
RJQMAN
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DDS62
Does everybody think that the Hybrid is a more valuable design than the all electric vehicle like I do? I keep hearing about the next wave of EV’s that will obsolete the Hybrid. That will never happen. The EV’s will dominate and replace gas vehicles in the future but only for environmental and political reasons. EV’s are not cheap to operate. When including the costs of the batteries, they are way (way) more expensive. And every new electric vehicle from this date on will incorporate a complete hybrid system anyway – because the energy recaptured is free. The operating cost of electricity for the EV’s is more than most realize. For instance the new 100 mile range Nissan Leaf EV will cost the owner about 50% of the costs of a Prius Hybrid for gas or about $3.50 for a recharge. And that 100 mile range will only be obtainable when the batteries are new, and when there is no need to use the heater or A/C. I won’t estimate what range could be expected out of the Leaf after 5 years and in the dead of winter, but I have read articles estimating it to be as low as 50 miles. At that point the cost of gas for the Prius will be the same as electricity for the Leaf (assuming $3.50/gal which is admittedly best case for Hybrid comparison). The reason behind the high costs of electricity is the inherent difficulty in charging batteries. It takes a long time. The Nissan Leaf, for example takes 8 hours for a complete charge on a special $2,000 240V 30 amp circuit. Just imagine what your electricity bill would look like running your dryer or hot water heater 8 hours every day. The deciding factor between the cost of operating an EV vs a Hybrid is dependent not only on the costs of gas, but also the rate at which batteries can be recharged. Which has started a new technology in battery charging design. As we speak millions are being spent by Toyota, Nissan, GM and Ford trying to develop new charging techniques. Some of that development includes new battery chemicals, but the driving force is the time to recharge, because at the current charge densities available with the NiMH and Li-ion batteries charging speed has become as important as charge density. Ultimately the ideal battery would be a huge capacitor with little or no charge time. Then the costs of driving an EV would approach zero – but the capacitor would be the size of a bus and I wouldn’t want to stick my finger in that socket.
I agree. I would not want to be driving an electric car on a trip and run out of electricity with no way to get the car to a charging station. Perhaps at some future date there will be a way to 'recharge' a car quickly at 'recharging' stations, much as we have gas stations now, but I doubt that it will be soon. The technology to recharge takes time. And I know of no breakthroughs on the horizon.

As to the $2,000 30 amp circuit - it is the same circuit type you would use for an electric clothes dryer, and if your power distribution panel is in the garage, it should be fairly inexpensive to install. But I am not in any way sold on the concept of the Volt or the Leaf or whatever.

I think we are fooling ourselves. The real cost of generating and distributing electricity is not cheap, and the means we have to generate electricity require some type of fuel as well - often fossil fuel or nuclear power. If the safety conscious portion of the environmental lobby pressures the electricity industry into not using the nuclear option, the costs of electricity will rise exponentially and very quickly, and frankly, we will have to get the electricity from somewhere or give up much of our current lifestyle. And windmills for massive power generation belong back with the Man from LaMancha.

If we assume we are going to keep our lifestyles, and if we are conned into thinking electricity is cheap because we are not paying the power company directly for these costs, we will no doubt be paying them indirectly through taxes and government subsidies.

A pure fossil fuel engine, be it powered by Hydrogen (like the Von Hindenberg...hmm) or by gasoline makes the most long-term real sense, especially if we could drill for and process our own fuel instead of having to purchase it from other countries. But if we are going to put roadblocks in front of obtaining and processing our own fuel, and apparently we are, then I agree fully with you that the hybrid concept makes a lot of sense as the best compromise for a long, long time.