HS 250h Model (2010-2012)

2012 TCH - powerplant envy!

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-11, 11:56 AM
Magellan55

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Default 2012 TCH - powerplant envy!

Wow, just read the MT review of the new Camry hybrid - nice upgraded powerplant. Would love to see that in the HS, 40mpg + 0-60 in 7.2 sec. Would smoke an IS250 :-) Put that in the CT, and it might even challenge the IS350! Hmm, maybe that's why Lexus isn't putting that powerplant in either hybrid...
Old 12-08-11, 08:04 PM
DDS62
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A good increase, but nothing high tech. 13 more horse power combined with reduced weight. I believe most of the additional HP came from taking more from the torqy electric motor. Hybrids have hidden benefits. I have thought about a car with a very big electric motor designed for more acceleration only, not mpg. Maybe that time is here?
Old 12-09-11, 08:09 AM
rajeev6
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had 2 Camrys in last 15 years and now I have HS. In my opinion -

Typical of Toyota -
New engine - bigger and more power and then better fuel efficiency! How did they do it
New model - bigger and more standard features and then cheaper! - How did they do it!
Old 12-09-11, 06:46 PM
RJQMAN
Driver

Answer - probably a marketing decision on what the market will bear and what volumes they think they can sell at whatever price point they set... Sometimes they are right, sometimes they are wrong. The only other thing could possible be weight of the car, or some subtle aerodynamic changes, but I suspect they tweak the engine and the transmission for the marketing guys. The differences are not that dramatic. Just a guess though.
Old 12-10-11, 04:24 AM
TheAirman
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The Camry has a total hybrid system net horsepower of 200, the HS has a total of 187.

The Camry has a 2.5 liter at 156 hp., and the HS has a 2.4 liter at 147 hp.

Both the Camry and the HS have a Motor Generator 2 rated at 105 kw, or about 141 hp.,
and both have a similar 244.8 volt Ni-MH battery pack.

I believe the biggest change between the two systems, besides the .1 liter increase, is the updated software in the Camry. I think it is called "Generation 6" software. Don't quote me on that though.
Old 12-11-11, 07:28 AM
DDS62
Driver

Toyota has increased the bore slightly and changed the Atkinson cycle ratio for increased power and efficiency resulting in nine additional HP from the gas engine. It appears they have used the same electric motor but changed the software to produce four additional HP. And they have reduced the weight from 3680 to 3435 (LE). What's not to love. Another improvement is the fact that they don't force the buyer to take the low profile (45 series) wheel/tire combo on the upgrade XLE hybrid, and even offer a 65 series combo on the LE. Plenty of rubber and air volume that allow for lower air pressure and a smooth ride. Apparently every body understands those things except Lexus.
Old 12-12-11, 01:09 PM
rajeev6
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DDS62
...... It appears they have used the same electric motor but changed the software to produce four additional HP......
That brings up a question that I had in mind for quite sometime - since the car, in its various modules relies so heavily on certain performance assumptions implemented thru computer chips, should we expect to get firmware updates? I don't think I'm asking for something extremely remote.

...... Another improvement is the fact that they don't force the buyer to take the low profile (45 series) wheel/tire combo on the upgrade XLE hybrid, and even offer a 65 series combo on the LE. Plenty of rubber and air volume that allow for lower air pressure and a smooth ride. Apparently every body understands those things except Lexus.
So true - I can't wait to replace these OEM tires - noisy and not typical Lexus smooth.
Old 12-13-11, 11:14 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

Toyota has increased the bore slightly and changed the Atkinson cycle ratio for increased power and efficiency resulting in nine additional HP from the gas engine. It appears they have used the same electric motor but changed the software to produce four additional HP. And they have reduced the weight from 3680 to 3435 (LE). What's not to love. Another improvement is the fact that they don't force the buyer to take the low profile (45 series) wheel/tire combo on the upgrade XLE hybrid, and even offer a 65 series combo on the LE. Plenty of rubber and air volume that allow for lower air pressure and a smooth ride. Apparently every body understands those things except Lexus.
it is completely new engine series, going from AZ to AR.