HS 250h Model (2010-2012)

New (To Me) 2011 HS... O2 Sensor Trouble

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-12, 04:00 PM
ntrainer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New (To Me) 2011 HS... O2 Sensor Trouble

Logging on for the first time... Hi, everyone! We just bought a 2011 HS 250h Premium with 6,750 miles on it. "Deep Sea Mica" (read: blue) exterior, Parchment Interior. Since I've read so many people both here on Club Lexus and elsewhere getting nasty about this vehicle's "styling," I have to add my own $0.02: I can't believe anybody out there actually buys a Lexus sedan of any stripe for its LOOKS. These are sedate, middle-of-the road cars that say, "I'm upscale, value my time (hence I prefer a luxury vehicle) and don't need to prove anything to anybody." Looking to impress? Looking for a dramatic statement? Buy another car! There are plenty of bolder vehicles on the road.

We're replacing a 1997 Acura Integra LS with the new HS 250h, and the Integra was definitely a unique look at the time. (Sadly, Acura's designs seem quite generic to me at the moment, or worse, as their grille is aggressively unattractive.) I will say we were nearly seduced by the "looks matter" argument this time around. In the end we were wavering between an Infiniti G25 Journey and the HS we ended up with. I wish we could have the hybrid drive and cool, high-tech gadgetry in the HS combined with the styling of the Infiniti G, but there's just no such thing as a perfect vehicle. Although that old Integra came close.

This will be a commuting car, driven mainly to/from work and occasionally with kids in the back -- hence the HS rather than something with an intolerable back seat, like the CT. My dream is that the car will perform as reliably as the Integra, and we can get 15 years and 150,000 miles out of it -- while enjoying an amazing interior, Lexus service, and great mileage.

I'm a little concerned, though, since days after driving off the lot, the "check engine" sensor came on. Brought it back to the dealer, who found that the rear oxygen sensor was faulty and needed to be replaced. Please, please let this not be the start of a troubled relationship with the car we hope to love... Anybody else had trouble with the O2 sensors? Are we dreaming to think this will be a trouble-free car?
Old 02-01-12, 05:03 PM
sublexus
Rookie

My wife and I bought ours new in December, 2010 and have just turned 20,000 trouble-free miles. Total gas purchased over that time divided into total miles driven reflects 37.83 mpg. We drive it like a regular car at the posted speed limits and couldn't be happier with ours. Good luck with yours!

Last edited by sublexus; 02-02-12 at 05:16 PM. Reason: To correct an error in purchase date
Old 02-01-12, 05:51 PM
Magellan55

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Welcome ntrainer! I haven't heard much on here or elsewhere about the O2 sensor, or anything else breaking. I've had my HS just about 2 years now, and nearing 30k miles. BTW, I owned an 87 Integra for 180k miles, and I sure miss that car too :-) I also shopped the RSX, but like you did not like the front end styling.

I think you'll find that Lexus owners put style pretty high on the list, at least "upscale styling". Most Lexus (Lexii?) are very sleek, and I have to admit the HS isn't the most attractive car in their stable. Most HS comments from other Lexus owners on the forums are about the styling. But I was looking for something "different", and I also fell in love with the Matador red

Feel free to look through the forums (we're not a very big community), and ask questions as needed!
Old 02-01-12, 06:33 PM
ntrainer
Driver School Candidate

Funny, Magellan, how those colors are so important! I absolutely love the deep, rich blue on this HS. The Infiniti blue is rather greyed out, muted, and not nearly as eye-catching. I must admit I haven't paid attention to exterior colors in a while (since we haven't been in the car market for a while), but our late, great Integra was what I'd describe as "British racing green," which seems like a color that's been totally dropped from the car market. Just personal preference, of course, but I think the Lexi would look great in "British racing green."
Old 02-04-12, 05:01 PM
TheAirman
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My service person said he hardly ever saw a HS in for failure problems.

But on a side note, I had another Toyota product whose No.#2 rear oxygen sensor failed prematurely at 50,000 miles. I replaced it with an OEM Denso unit which seemed to be made better than the original. Who knows, they might even be the same part.

Anyways, welcome to the forum !! I have the "Deep sea" and parchment also. My first "white" interior in all my cars.

Did you get the Tech package in yours?
Old 02-05-12, 10:00 AM
ntrainer
Driver School Candidate

Default Tech. Package

Now that it's been more than a week, I'm finding out more and more about what was "included" in my HS. We were happy to see both the Nav. system and backup camera included, heated seats, and walnut trim (okay, that didn't matter much in our decision to buy the HS -- other than the fact that our other possible choice, the Infiniti G, had wood trim... but it's cool). Having scoured the options package(s) for 2012, matching up some of those options (like the heated seats, walnut trim, and 6-CD changer), and knowing that this vehicle was on cars.com as a "Premium," with all the 2012 "Premium" options checked, we assumed it was, indeed, a "Premium."

Turns out... the options packages and choices were a bit different in '11 than they are in '12, and this vehicle is not a "Premium." Sigh. It's our fault, of course, for not correcting the dealer's error, but honestly I don't think we'd have been able to knock any $$ off the price, regardless. We walked away from the sale for two days and didn't get a budge... We're pretty confident we were as low as this dealer was going to go on this vehicle. And I don't think this will have an effect on resale. That being said, these are the "options" which came with our HS:

• Brown walnut interior trim (not an option on the '12 without buying "Premium")
• Heated front seats
• 10-speaker premium sound system with 6-CD changer (not an option on the '12 without the "Premium" package)
• Navigation system
• Backup camera
• Rear spoiler
• Paint protection film
• Cargo net
• Carpet trunk mat

So what we're missing by not being "Premium" is basically seat memory, rain-sensing windshield wipers, the "power" telescoping steering column w/tilt-away, and the perforated leather seats. Would have been nice, but I'm hardly thinking I ought to go back and ***** & moan about this to the dealer. Besides, it's not as if they can simply install those options after the fact, right?

As for the "Parchment" seats, TheAirman, I wouldn't say they're white, really... more of a tan, wouldn't you say?

Last edited by ntrainer; 02-06-12 at 03:30 AM.
Old 02-06-12, 01:42 PM
rajeev6
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2010 HS Premium

My car, a 2010 Premium, has, in addition to the things you mentioned, cooled seats.
Old 02-06-12, 07:44 PM
RJQMAN
Driver

I own two HS250H and have had zero problems with either one - both have about 10,000 miles on them - a 2010 and a 2011 - both have the electronic goodies on them.
Old 02-13-12, 01:21 AM
noku
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Car been running perfectly for the time I've had it. Odometer over 10k now, got it about 6.3k. I would assume that if after a few days of driving and the CEL doesn't come on again then your car is running properly. Luckily it failed early and still under warranty as some O2 sensors are a real pain to change out.