HS 250h Model (2010-2012)

2010 HS 250H Lunges forward while braking

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-12, 06:35 PM
Magellan55

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

richrf, just so we understand it a bit more, how hard are you braking, and how fast are you going, when you experience this? Sometimes, when I'm coasting to a stop under light braking pressure, I feel a tiny bit of lurching just before the car stops, like the engine is fighting the brakes just before it disengages/goes into neutral. I actually complained about it myself on the forum 2 years ago, but I quickly got used to it and now I have to be looking for it to notice.

Is this what you're experiencing?
Old 03-12-12, 07:00 PM
TheAirman
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Magellan55
richrf, just so we understand it a bit more, how hard are you braking, and how fast are you going, when you experience this? Sometimes, when I'm coasting to a stop under light braking pressure, I feel a tiny bit of lurching just before the car stops, like the engine is fighting the brakes just before it disengages/goes into neutral. I actually complained about it myself on the forum 2 years ago, but I quickly got used to it and now I have to be looking for it to notice.

Is this what you're experiencing?
For the record, I think they all lurch like that. I feel it on mine and I felt it on the test drive and in another one I rode in. I think what is happening there is, usually as soon as you take your foot off the gas pedal, the gas engine shuts off. But sometime, due to computer demands, the engine continues to run even when you have started slowing or have stopped. Then when the computer finally decides to shut off the engine while you are stopped, you feel the lurch.

I think what richrf feels is when the car hits a hole or bump, and the wheel is in the air for that split second, there is a feeling of lost brakes. Is this correct?
Old 03-20-12, 08:52 PM
dedas1
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

I hope I am not getting into this conversatiion too late. I rarely review the HS forum these days. I do know exactly what everyone is talking about. I purchased a premium HS250 in Dec 2009, when they first came out. Around when toyota was getting litigated for brake problems, a Prius report out of Seattle, where we live, reported that her car did not stop crossing "pot holes and railroad tracks", as I recall in the news report. I notice this also occurring around 5 mph upon braking. Especially when braking and crossing over a manhole, pot hole, railroad track, or something slippery. Well, the technical aspects are as discussed above, but Lexus came out around that fall 2010 describing and admitting that this was a concern from lots of drivers for the HS250. They had a firmware update that moved the switch over to around 20-25 mph so you would not sense the abrupt "lunge" when you braked and hit one of these slippery areas. I have avoided all slippery manhole covers, braking while crossing a railroad track crossing, etc, whenever possible, and have had few episodes. It now clearly occurs as they said around 20-25 mph. It is somewhat safer than at 5 mph when coming to a near stop. I can predict when it happens based upon what I drive over. That is not to say that it make me comfortable or safe when it happens, esp if it is in an uncontrolled or emergent situation. It is unnerving.
Lastly, your Lexus dealer is well aware of this, since I asked about this issue when the article appeared in the news. They said a recall and firmware update was correcting this and it should have applied to your car, since mine was an earlier model in 2010. I hope this helps explain why it is happening and "shame on your dealer for not knowing".
Old 09-26-12, 03:40 PM
Tantrix
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

anyone know the exact recall number for this ? my hs bumper to bumper warranty is about to end and I need to get this checked. My brakes feel like junk,.
Old 09-27-12, 10:36 AM
rajeev6
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Lexus recalls

Originally Posted by Tantrix
anyone know the exact recall number for this ? my hs bumper to bumper warranty is about to end and I need to get this checked. My brakes feel like junk,.
I'm not sure if they assign a number
http://www.lexus.com/recall
Old 10-01-12, 08:24 PM
dedas1
Rookie

Hi. I got a automatic request to reply since I entered the last post in Mar. From what I remember, there is no recall number on this. It was a firmware update on the computer program. It was an automatic update when you serviced your car. Unfortunately, even at the 20 mile re-adjustment, it still makes me uneasy when it occurs. I went down a very steep hill the other day when it was raining, and it made me uneasy when i hit a bump and the car lunged going downhill. I was afraid there for a minute that the brakes were going to let go. I am always entertaining getting rid of the car, but due to Lexus screwup, the value of the car has dropped enormously and the resale value is so low it is not practical. Hope this helps.
Old 10-01-12, 08:43 PM
dedas1
Rookie

http://www.lexus.com/recall/#hsRecallSection

Look at this site for " voluntary recall' for HS250 regarding the braking issue. This addresses the issue above.