HS 250h Model (2010-2012)

Used HS's in demand?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-12, 05:47 PM
Magellan55

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Used HS's in demand?

OK, I expected the HS would be shunned once it went out of production, and someone on another thread said their local Infinity dealer wouldn't touch his for a trade-in. But today I got a letter from my local BMW/Acura/Subaru/Porsche dealer, saying they have an urgent need for 6 HS's and want to give me top dollar for mine - no purchase necessary!

So, my first question was how did they know I owned one (they even knew it was a 2010). But, I'm tempted to go check it out, just to see what it's worth. KBB says it's worth $28K for trade-in, which is only 7K less than I paid 2 years ago (Premium / no Nav / no options).

I'll update the thread with the offer price if I decide to go - this offer expires June 30, so it sounds kind of gimmicky, but the dealer is on my way to work so it shouldn't take much of my time and I can drool on the new 911's while I'm waiting...
Old 06-21-12, 06:13 PM
jbripps
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would imagine it's a ploy to get you in to buy a new car. However, they still would have to give you a value for the trade. I recently rec'd 2 similar invites from my lexus dealer. Thinking the same thing. I'd be interested to see what they offer you. Also, the dealer with the offer probably has a relationship with the dealership you purchased from, or get serviced at, right?

Keep us posted!
Old 06-25-12, 12:05 AM
moolman
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They know that you own a HS the same way I assume JD Power knows you have the car so that they can send you a survey. It's obviously a ploy to get you in the dealership. Go but just realize what it is.
Old 06-25-12, 06:45 AM
rajeev6
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default I'm interested too

The offer seems attractive but as you know and as others have said, it's a ploy to get you to the dealership. Even then, it's worth checking out.
Please let us know how much are they willing to offer and how many miles do you have on your HS.
Old 06-25-12, 12:20 PM
DDS62
Driver

Black Book which is the used car guide followed by most dealerships evaluates a 2010 HS mid level premium (with Nav & assoc). With an original MSRP of $41,800 in mint condition and 5000 miles. between $24,060 to $29715. I seriously doubt any dealer give you 35K for your car. If you can get a legitimate offer in the range above (where the dealer also includes his 5-7% lowering of his MSRP) it is an excellent deal. I would bet the condo you will not even get the 24K.

I bought my HS on Jan 15 2011 for $35,500 and thought I got a good deal. Little did I know Lexus was about to Edsel the car and trash it's value. From my viewpoint that is the reality of buying a Lexus. You can rationalize it anyway you prefer.
Old 06-26-12, 08:01 AM
rajeev6
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default My 2010 HS

Even though I suspect that the resale price of my car has dropped drastically, I'm just chalking it up for me being one of the early adopters (of a new model).
However, I'm perfectly happy with my car - as a matter of fact, I haven't seen any other car yet which will now give me even satisfaction the way this one does.
I'll keep this for long time - hopefully give it to my daughter when she's 16 . (or won't she want a new car )
Old 06-27-12, 07:22 AM
ceads9
Driver

Default Discontinued

Who really cares if they D/C the car, I love it. and not trading it anytime soon. Its nice NOT seeing it everyhere you go like the ES /RS. The ES was just redone so will the older ones take a hit in resale ...sure . I dont think it will hurt this car that much , they are still rare and its a Lexus and an hybrid. Do i wish they would have made another cycle of them ...sure . But how would a person like to buy a new or used ES or RS and they BRAND new model came out and makes yours look like a oldie . WE wont have that problem what you see is what you get. which i like ! Cars change models all the time. I had a 2012 RS as a loaner this past week and would rather have the HS, other than a little more room i like the HS better, oh ya it was getting 21MPG on Premium gas .

I also have a loaded Gen 3 Prius
Old 06-29-12, 06:21 AM
sublexus
Rookie

There are a lot of ways you can look at our situation. If you look for negatives, that's what you will see. Look for positives, you'll see those. My wife and I really enjoy our HS. We bought it new eighteen months ago and have put over 27,000 trouble-free miles on it. Our overall mpg for that time (total miles driven divided by total gas used) has been 37.92. We drive it like any other vehicle we've owned. We have almost nine years of experience with Lexus dealerships and every visit has been a pleasure.

We kept our RX330 for seven years. We traded it for the HS because my wife loves the style of the car. I love the way it drives and, all things considered, the fuel economy of it. I don't know how long we will keep it, but by the time we do get rid of it, resale value won't be an issue.

Finally, as others have said, we like the uniqueness of it. I especially like the front end design, which is now showing up on other Lexus models.

Just enjoy the HS for the reasons you bought it and don't let its discontinuance here in the United States sour your experience!
Old 06-29-12, 07:46 AM
ceads9
Driver

Default Agree

You took the words right out of my mouth, well said ! Its a car that I wanted , had the choice between an 2010 ES and the HS was my pick.
Old 06-29-12, 05:02 PM
TheAirman
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sublexus
There are a lot of ways you can look at our situation. If you look for negatives, that's what you will see. Look for positives, you'll see those. My wife and I really enjoy our HS. We bought it new eighteen months ago and have put over 27,000 trouble-free miles on it. Our overall mpg for that time (total miles driven divided by total gas used) has been 37.92. We drive it like any other vehicle we've owned. We have almost nine years of experience with Lexus dealerships and every visit has been a pleasure.

We kept our RX330 for seven years. We traded it for the HS because my wife loves the style of the car. I love the way it drives and, all things considered, the fuel economy of it. I don't know how long we will keep it, but by the time we do get rid of it, resale value won't be an issue.

Finally, as others have said, we like the uniqueness of it. I especially like the front end design, which is now showing up on other Lexus models.

Just enjoy the HS for the reasons you bought it and don't let its discontinuance here in the United States sour your experience!
Great post.

If you want to talk about a car or two that took a resale hit, I know someone with a newer Saturn Vue Hybrid and someone with a Pontiac G6. The HS will never be hit as hard as those 2 models.
Old 06-29-12, 08:54 PM
Magellan55

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Well I never made it to that dealer. The other day I got a similar notice, this time from the BMW side of that dealership. And they need 20 HS's! I figure there aren't 20 people looking to buy a used HS in the whole country, so it's just a gimmick to get me to waste time going to see them.

I sort of like my car, and I don't really have another in mind, though I would have tried out the Volt and maybe the Leaf if they were available when I bought. And every time I see one, I wonder if I should have tried out the A5 before I bought. My HS has definitely been trouble-free, though the dealer visits are expensive. But I haven't grown attached to it like my other cars.
Old 09-25-12, 06:16 PM
Tantrix
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the trade in and used car prices for the HS are kind of not accurate.

u can get a new kia optima hybrid base model for about 25k, or you can get a used fully loaded HS with navi, leather interior, fully loaded and rear view camera for about 25k as well ? this is a no brainer I'd rather have the lexus HS.
Old 09-28-12, 06:36 AM
LexFather

My interpretation is while the HS wasn't a hit with the masses, those that are aware of the HS greatly appreciate the car, thus there is an equally small but great demand for the HS, especially loaded models.

Tried to show my family member the ES 300h but it lacks many of the options their HS has. The HS truly was unique in the aspect of REAL technology.
Old 09-28-12, 07:15 AM
jollick
Racer

Received 181 Likes on 158 Posts

I traded in my 2010 HS250h Premium with Tech Package, 29,000 miles this past weekend and got $26,000 for it. Now I am waiting for a 2013 loaded ES300h UL, 1 to 4 months wait. :-( The HS was a great car especially with the Tech Package. The ES I ordered will have every tech option my HS had except for the head up display, I will miss that.
Old 09-28-12, 07:41 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by jollick
I traded in my 2010 HS250h Premium with Tech Package, 29,000 miles this past weekend and got $26,000 for it. Now I am waiting for a 2013 loaded ES300h UL, 1 to 4 months wait. :-( The HS was a great car especially with the Tech Package. The ES I ordered will have every tech option my HS had except for the head up display, I will miss that.
Congrats. I don't think it has the front camera either and lane depature? Does it? I do have to say the ES 300h at 45k with options seems like a really good deal compared to the 45k MSRP on the HS we purchased.

Quick Reply: Used HS's in demand?