HS 250h Model (2010-2012)

Safety Recall HLE (H2E) 2010 HS 250h Hybrid Vehicle Transaxle Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-17, 07:32 PM
TRW88
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Safety Recall HLE (H2E) 2010 HS 250h Hybrid Vehicle Transaxle Replacement

Just noticed there are two interim notices regarding the 2010 model transaxle replacement, first one dated 10/10/2016, the second date 10/4/2017Safety Recalls

Title

Safety Recall HLE (H2E) - Interim Notice 2010 Model Year HS 250h Hybrid Vehicle Transaxle ReplacementStatus

Remedy Not AvailableDescription

A manufacturing issue in an electric motor in the involved vehicle €™s hybrid drivetrain may cause components to wear, leading to a potential short circuit. This condition will illuminate warning lights and warning messagesRemedy

Lexus is currently preparing the remedy for this condition. When the remedy becomes available, Lexus will send an owner notification by first class mail advising owners to make an appointment with their authorized Lexus dealer to have the hybrid vehicle transaxle replaced with a new one at NO CHARGE.Recall Date

AWAITING#Dealer Reference ID

H2ENHTSA Recall ID

AWAITING#

Any idea why it's taking Lexus so long to come up with remedy?

Old 10-05-17, 12:25 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,175 Likes on 1,003 Posts

They may be stalling to save money as the longer they wait, the fewer cars on the road and the fewer original owners who may be reached and the few transmissions they need to replace. It is harder to identify and contact second or third owners.....
Old 10-07-17, 10:49 PM
850R
Pit Crew

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

From what I read on an Automotive Website, the recall covers about 18,000 vehicles. Judging from the number of 2010 models sold in the US, it looks like it doesn't cover every car in the 2010 model year. Also, procuring transaxle parts for 18,000 vehicles has to be an undertaking in itself quite the endevour. My speculation is that they are trying to get enough parts/transaxle assemblies available to do the job before formally issuing the recall.
Old 10-09-17, 05:01 PM
sewwht2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I called my local Lexus Dealership and the service department said they were aware of the new recall. However, they did not anticipate any formal notices until the end of November/beginning of December, once parts were officially ordered. Fingers crossed that no one has any major issues in the meantime. Thanks for the heads up TRW88!
Old 10-11-17, 09:24 PM
ericdotcom
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sewwht2
So I called my local Lexus Dealership and the service department said they were aware of the new recall. However, they did not anticipate any formal notices until the end of November/beginning of December, once parts were officially ordered. Fingers crossed that no one has any major issues in the meantime. Thanks for the heads up TRW88!

ok thats some good insights. so we are approaching november and december. i just purchased 2010 hs250 just recently and i think this recall is very important to all hs250 owners because if it involves internal parts that can be costly in the future. but i saw someone just said that this recall will not be for all hs250 ? i do hope that it will be for all hs250 models because its about safety issues and measures. can anyone else confirm this or hear back from any dealer regarding this recall yet ?
Old 10-13-17, 06:13 PM
Magellan55

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Just had my 2010 in for it's 110k service and I forgot to ask them about it, but they didn't mention anything either.
Old 10-13-17, 08:52 PM
ericdotcom
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Magellan55
Just had my 2010 in for it's 110k service and I forgot to ask them about it, but they didn't mention anything either.

Oh ok cool, thanks for that update. I'm sure we are coming down to the stretches now...i hope the dealers can start taking cars in before christmas.
Old 12-12-17, 04:50 PM
Magellan55

Just got my notice in the mail today.
Old 12-13-17, 10:24 PM
TLPLEXUS
Pit Crew

I just got this letter too. So i will line up to get this addressed. So based on what i am reading, we are getting a new transaxle (is that the same as transmission)? I wonder if the Camry Hybrid is getting this same recall as well.
Old 12-14-17, 03:29 AM
dapper23
Driver School Candidate

Has anyone had this fix done yet?

I stopped by the dealership yesterday and they said the part needed to be ordered and would take a few weeks, probably arriving after new year's.

Side note: A few days ago, I started up my car and the Check Engine Light came on, along with the display stating, "Check Hybrid System". I googled this and it could be a variety of issues. My car wouldn't run on battery alone, only the engine, so I drove to an Autozone close by, but they couldn't read the codes due to not having an OBD scanner on hand. I drove home, left my car alone for a few hours, then drove it about 9 hours later. The "Check Hybrid System" message was gone, but the CEL was still on. I had to drive ~25 miles. After reaching my destination, turned the car off, let it sit for a good 8 hours, and the CEL was gone as well. Weird. Of note, the temp was in the teens, but I'm not sure if that caused the warnings.
Old 12-14-17, 08:29 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,175 Likes on 1,003 Posts

dapper23 - Your small 12 volt battery is probably getting weak which is being made worse by the cold weather. It is located on the side of the trunk somewhere behind stuff. They are not cheap and only the OEM battery really fits. Search for other threads on this.
Old 12-15-17, 11:04 AM
new_berlin
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I still haven't received the letter but called my dealer who also indicated that parts are not available yet. Does the letter require us to schedule the safety recall work through a centralized lexus number or is it okay to just call/schedule with a local dealer?
Old 12-15-17, 11:49 AM
toomeypj
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Call your Dealer

I spoke with my Lexus dealer yesterday and the service rep said that the part is so expensive they don't order it until the owner calls in for the safety recall. He said the parts department will now order the replacement for my VIN. The dealer will call me to set up my appointment when the transaxle arrives around the middle of January. The time required for the replacement is estimated at 9 hours or longer, so I will probably have a 2 day loaner.
Old 12-15-17, 06:53 PM
hvysnow
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's not necessarily the case for all dealerships. I was surprised by a phone call from our local dealership before receiving the recall notice. He wanted to see if I still owned the HS250H and that they'll order the parts and make the repair for the recall. Completely floored me that the dealer was this proactive for the recall. I live in the VA Beach area.
Old 12-15-17, 07:59 PM
Magellan55

Same experience as toomeypj - called my dealer today and that started the ordering process. They will call me when it comes in after the new year. Yeah this will be big $$ to replace. And I'll get a free tank of gas, a car wash, and some time in a new Lexus.

Quick Reply: Safety Recall HLE (H2E) 2010 HS 250h Hybrid Vehicle Transaxle Replacement