HS 250h Model (2010-2012)

Extended Warranty for 2010 HS 250H Model

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-17, 03:21 PM
sewwht2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extended Warranty for 2010 HS 250H Model

So I bought a used 2010 HS 250h from the dealership, with the 3 year extended warranty. Unfortunately the 3 years are almost up and I will be without coverage. Any updates from people who bought additional extended warranties? I'm more worried about my hybrid battery. They say it's covered for 10 years, but what happens after that? I have roughly 2 years left of that manufactured warranty. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Old 10-06-17, 08:48 PM
Magellan55

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

I wouldn't worry. Prius owners have had pretty much the same battery for now going on 15 years, with few reports of problems. I read the failure rate on those Gen-I Priuses are around 5% now. Certainly within scope of conventional cars and needing engine overhauls. I plan to keep my 2010 HS for another 6 years for my pre-teen kids to drive in high school.
Old 10-09-17, 04:50 PM
sewwht2
Driver School Candidate

Magellan55, thanks for your quick reply. I agree with what you had to say. Can't think of hearing anyone with a Prius who has had battery issues either. Ok, what about thoughts on an traditional extended warranty? Any companies you would recommend over another?
Old 10-11-17, 06:35 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,174 Likes on 1,002 Posts

You may pay more for the warranty than a battery repair or replacement may cost, if it is ever needed, if it is even included in such a warranty. Or at time of failure, it may cost more to replace than the car is worth....it would be over 10 years old....

See this for general reference https://thehybridgeek.com/lexus-hybr...xI-hoC_8fw_wcB
Old 10-11-17, 09:12 PM
ericdotcom
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sewwht2
So I bought a used 2010 HS 250h from the dealership, with the 3 year extended warranty. Unfortunately the 3 years are almost up and I will be without coverage. Any updates from people who bought additional extended warranties? I'm more worried about my hybrid battery. They say it's covered for 10 years, but what happens after that? I have roughly 2 years left of that manufactured warranty. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

yea so we just purchased a 2010 hs250 also just recently and purchased the extended warranty for 3 years. the dealership offered me also gap insurance but i passed on that. the only reason we purchased the extended warranty is for peace of mind. its bumper to bumper. since the battery has 10 years warranty from lexus dealer thus make our extended warranty will expire same time warranty for the battery. so if theres something wrong with the battery (which i heard is rarely) then it will come off the book from direct lexus dealer also we could use the extended warranty just in case the dealer give us a hassle for it. also, not only it covers the battery, but pretty much everything else which i think includes all the weaknesses on the hs250 part such as the pistons or other electronic stuff. so extended warranty always been a peace of mind for our family for years. because you never know what problems you will have to fix, and lexus parts internally as well as externally are not cheap. hope that helps.
Old 10-11-17, 09:16 PM
ericdotcom
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sewwht2
Originally Posted by Magellan55
I wouldn't worry. Prius owners have had pretty much the same battery for now going on 15 years, with few reports of problems. I read the failure rate on those Gen-I Priuses are around 5% now. Certainly within scope of conventional cars and needing engine overhauls. I plan to keep my 2010 HS for another 6 years for my pre-teen kids to drive in high school.

since we are on similar subject. i do have concerns about the hs250 weaknesses. so what do you think the most problematic with the hs250 models ? i heard and seen people on this forum mentioned the pistons, suspensions, internal electronics, etc. I'm curious to know because i just want to get heads up with all of that and get everything on par sorta speak because I'm a newbie to lexus and hybrids. i was in the STI and turbo scene all my life. kids and unnecessary bills made me switch to more safer and greener world. Lol
Old 10-13-17, 06:17 PM
Magellan55

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Actually I've been on this forum for 7 years and don't recall complaints of anything major going wrong...
Old 10-15-17, 03:22 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,174 Likes on 1,002 Posts

The most important thing with any used car is its condition and service history. Maintenance makes all the difference when a vehicle is 6 or 7 years old and the miles add up. Overall there are few weaknesses with these. Some may use a bit of oil but this is a known issue with the engine and Toyota/Lexus has extended coverage if you fail their oil use test.
Old 10-16-17, 02:28 PM
sewwht2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Clutchless
You may pay more for the warranty than a battery repair or replacement may cost, if it is ever needed, if it is even included in such a warranty. Or at time of failure, it may cost more to replace than the car is worth....it would be over 10 years old....

See this for general reference https://thehybridgeek.com/lexus-hybr...xI-hoC_8fw_wcB

I appreciate the hyperlink for general reference point. Thanks! Now to find a place out by me in Las Vegas area.
Old 10-17-17, 11:02 PM
ericdotcom
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Clutchless
The most important thing with any used car is its condition and service history. Maintenance makes all the difference when a vehicle is 6 or 7 years old and the miles add up. Overall there are few weaknesses with these. Some may use a bit of oil but this is a known issue with the engine and Toyota/Lexus has extended coverage if you fail their oil use test.

ok cool, yea maintenance is always been number one. my hs250 is @ 61k miles right now and changing oil is probably my first thing to do. we just got the car like 2 weeks ago. its the premium w nav and all the goodies. although regards to oil consumptions isn't it always better to change to premium synthetic factory oil (0w-20) when changing oil ? i've called the dealer about that and they said that if the oil cap on your ride does have stated synthetic oil only then do it, but he also added that if it doesn't then he also recommend to do synthetic oil also. thing is, idk if i should go with lexus synthetic 0w-20 or something like a mobil one synthetic. i just got a feeling that the lexus one would be much safer. we also got the extended coverage for the vehicle just in case. if you or anyone else can elaborate more on the some of the issues about the car would be great. thanks