HS 250h Model (2010-2012)

Crank battery dead?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-18, 05:00 PM
Grendel050
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Crank battery dead?

I was doing some leather treatment to my interior, the stuff I was using smells pretty horrible so I left my doors open over night to air out the smell.

I'm pretty sure I didn't leave any interior lights on, and I also am pretty sure the door lights turned off after afew minutes of the doors being left open.
So I wake up the next morning and the car won't start, the dash lights are blinking like a regular car would do when trying to startup on a low battery.
I have a 12v battery charger at the house, after figuring out where the positive terminal is, I charged the battery from 8.0 back up to 14.4, I was able to start the car and drive around for several miles, but the next morning the car suffers the same inability to turn over.

Dead battery right? (kind of confusing considering all that power sitting in the litium ion battery, but I guess I understand why you would want to restrict voltage moving between the two)

Well now for the fun part, the battery is in the trunk and looks like a PITA to change out, not to mention from what I have read the only battery that fits is the Lexus part. $250-300....
It is a 2010, so I guess a good 8 years of life is a good run. I have no idea how long gel batteries are supposed to last.

I had the transaxle and headlight voltage recall done 3 weeks ago, any chance the battery dieing is related to this? Doubtful but it would save $300-400.

Old 09-14-18, 07:13 PM
Magellan55

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

My 2010 battery just died recently too, though I think it was due to leaving a dome light on for a week while parked at the airport. Couldn't even unlock the car it was so dead, other than with the physical key. I figure a battery this old probably wouldn't hold a charge again after a discharge like that so I just got a new one. bought it from Lexus ($325), as they are the only ones that have these gel batteries in stock, and replaced it there in the airport parking deck. Took maybe 15 minutes, and mostly because I was working in low light so had to deal with a flashlight inside the trunk while trying to work the bolts and bracket. It was just kind of awkward to work on where it sits compared to being under the hood, but it wasn't that bad for DIY.

Good luck.
Old 09-14-18, 07:27 PM
Grendel050
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Magellan55
My 2010 battery just died recently too, though I think it was due to leaving a dome light on for a week while parked at the airport. Couldn't even unlock the car it was so dead, other than with the physical key. I figure a battery this old probably wouldn't hold a charge again after a discharge like that so I just got a new one. bought it from Lexus ($325), as they are the only ones that have these gel batteries in stock, and replaced it there in the airport parking deck. Took maybe 15 minutes, and mostly because I was working in low light so had to deal with a flashlight inside the trunk while trying to work the bolts and bracket. It was just kind of awkward to work on where it sits compared to being under the hood, but it wasn't that bad for DIY.

Good luck.
Did you need any codes after disconnecting the factory battery?
If its as simple as plug and play I may attempt to do it myself.
Old 09-15-18, 05:57 AM
Magellan55

no codes. my radio stations had to be reprogrammed but surprisingly my phone repaired automatically and my garage door openers still worked. Haven't checked to see if my seat memories are still set.
Old 09-15-18, 06:35 AM
Grendel050
Driver School Candidate

I guess I'll call the parts department on Monday. See if they have one in stock.
I'd prefer to get a aftermarket battery, but I don't really want to do any of the modifications to get another battery to fit.
I saw somewhere on the forum say its only $50 to have Lexus install it, might be worth it to save some time, althought I prefer to learn to work on my own car.

Last edited by Grendel050; 09-15-18 at 06:44 AM.
Old 09-16-18, 06:55 PM
Grendel050
Driver School Candidate

Welp, I went ahead and pulled the battery out tonight, so that tommorrow I am ready to go.
It really wasn't hard at all to get to, as long as you have deep sockets you're good to go.

I'll call the dealership tommorrow and see if I can find a replacement.
Old 09-16-18, 09:01 PM
Grendel050
Driver School Candidate

Also, I noticed when taking the battery out that there is a warning ontop of it, it warns against using anything above 5amps to charge it.
The 12v charger I was using has 2a, 8a and 12a settings. When I charged it I used the standard 12a setting. I wonder if I did more dmg to it when I charged it at 12amps.

Last edited by Grendel050; 09-16-18 at 10:29 PM.
Old 09-17-18, 11:33 AM
Grendel050
Driver School Candidate

Picked it up and finished installing, fixed all my issues and I didn't need any codes to get going.

Toyota and Lexus had the same price $275+ tax, so I picked it up from Lexus to add it to my car's profile/warranty.
Old 12-18-18, 12:12 PM
new_berlin
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

My car is still on its original battery as well. So far it's okay but perhaps I will go ahead and replace as well. What are you guys doing with your old battery? Does lexus take it and take some $$ off the new one?
In any event, might be a good idea to keep one of those battery bank jumpstarters in the car. In a situation like the one Magellan55 encountered, might be easier to just get home and then deal with the problem.
Old 01-02-19, 06:38 AM
jthoepfel
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently replaced the battery on my hs250h due to no lights or dashlights. After replacing with Lexus brand battery all lights come on dash but car won't start. All warning lights are on and had car towed to repair shop. Mechanic claims 30 codes came up on scanner. Don't understand why this is happening. Car was fine the day before and don't want to get ripped off for this. Anyone have suggestions to clear the codes?
Old 01-02-19, 05:20 PM
Magellan55

Something's not right - I had no error codes on my dead battery, and the car started right up with the new one. Makes me wonder if the battery you installed was fully charged?
Old 01-02-19, 05:29 PM
jthoepfel
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Something's not right - I had no error codes on my dead battery, and the car started right up with the new one. Makes me wonder if the battery you installed was fully charged?
today I went back to the repair shop that had my car and they gave me a list of codes that came up on their machine and told me that there were many things wrong with the car. So after watching a few troubleshooting videos on YouTube I went out to the car and tried them. The one video I saw mentioned to make sure that the Orange service plug on the main battery is on properly. Mine was not. I simply pushed the plastic slide to the left and tried the car again and everything came on and it even started for me. However, there is still a warning light on the dash And I was told that if I simply disconnect the negative terminal on the 12 V battery and reconnect it should clear that icon which I will try tomorrow as it was raining most of the day today.
Old 04-17-19, 11:37 PM
1neeto
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My 2010 failed a battery test, and I’m sure it’s the factory one so 9 years of service can’t really complain. Anyone tried fitting an optima?
Old 04-19-19, 07:51 PM
Magellan55

search the forum (it's not big) - there was another thread about how to fit a normal battery into the spot. I think someone used a bit of wood.
Old 04-22-19, 12:41 AM
1neeto
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

search the forum (it's not big) - there was another thread about how to fit a normal battery into the spot. I think someone used a bit of wood.
im searching by posting. Most forum search engines truly suck. I’ll buy a Lexus one, the previous one later 9 years so I think that’s the proof in the pudding.