HS 250h Model (2010-2012)

Roof basket possible to install on HS?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-19, 11:54 AM
new_berlin
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Roof basket possible to install on HS?

About once a year when I come across something in a store that doesn't fit in my car (and I wish I owned a truck), a roof basket would really make a difference. Is it feasible to install a reliable roof basket on top of the HS?

I know next to nothing about what parts are needed to accomplish this but based on some googling it appears that I'll need to first install cross bars, and then the basket on top of the bars. But even to install the cross bars, I suppose I'll need some additional parts.

If any body has done something like this, a few links to the parts would be very helpful.
Old 10-08-19, 02:10 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,182 Likes on 1,010 Posts

I doubt there are any factory roof racks for the HS250h due to its limited sales. What you need is a universal roof rack that straps or clips on to the roof. Usually they attach using the door openings for clips to reach through and come with the cross bars so you can then add a roof basket, Thule hard case, bike or kayak rack etc. I would hunt around on etrailer or autoanything

Look at this one https://www.autoanything.com/roof-ra...se-rack-system They have others but all cost at least $350 for the rack alone, the carrying basket will be another couple of hundred dollars.

However considering the price for the investment and how much use it will get, I think it would be cheaper for you to just rent a minivan or SUV from Enterprise for the weekend to haul your stuff.

Last edited by Clutchless; 10-14-19 at 08:08 AM.
The following users liked this post:
new_berlin (10-09-19)
Old 10-09-19, 02:01 PM
new_berlin
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Clutchless
I doubt there are any factory roof racks for the HS250h due to its limited sales. What you need is a universal roof rack that straps or clips on to the roof. Usually they attach using the door openings for clips to reach through and come with the cross bars so you can then add a roof basket, Thule hard case, bike or kayak rack etc. I would hunt around on

Look at this one https://www.autoanything.com/roof-ra...se-rack-system They have others but all cost at least $350 for the rack alone, the carrying basket will be another couple of hundred dollars.

However considering the price for the investment and how much use it will get, I think it would be cheaper for you to just rent a minivan or SUV from Enterprise for the weekend to haul your stuff.
Thank you, yes I don't feel like dropping 500 for occasional use. It's just that I just skip the purchase at thought of having to pickup and return a rental vehicle. :-)

PS: The last sentence in your first para didn't get completed unless it was deleted by mods.
Old 10-13-19, 12:44 AM
Claybo77
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Concerning baskets...

I have thought of this problem also. My first recommendation would be to get a full size hitch with (cotter pin changeable ball) please correct inside brackets! Anyway... With that regular size hitch mount, basically all the options eg: (hitch mounted baskets) are open to you instantly. Don't exceed any factory set weight limits! But yeah, I've got one of the factory made, older, super heavy ones; and you can even stack things high, and then cover and safely rope down... LOTS! Add to this the fact that there is ZERO contact with the car body.
Just a first thought... YMMV (had to look it up... Your Mileage May Vary)