HS 250h Model (2010-2012)

Anyone replace the water pump?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-20 | 08:10 PM
Magellan55

Default Anyone replace the water pump?

So the water pump on my wife's 2016 Highlander failed after only 40k miles, and it made me wonder if the one on my 125k HS is a ticking time bomb. I'm used to replacing water pumps along with the timing belt at 75k, but we have a chain so no belt to change. Anyone replace theirs, either due to failure or just as preventative maintenance?
Old 11-10-20 | 10:45 PM
Trexus

I replaced my water pump, thermostat, belt and coolant at 250K miles as preventative maintenance. I didn't want to go too far as it can cause big problems later such as a blown head gasket, etc.
Old 11-11-20 | 11:15 AM
Magellan55

Originally Posted by Trexus
I replaced my water pump, thermostat, belt and coolant at 250K miles as preventative maintenance. I didn't want to go too far as it can cause big problems later such as a blown head gasket, etc.
You changed the timing belt? I thought this engine had a timing chain?
Old 11-12-20 | 12:58 AM
Trexus

Originally Posted by Magellan55
You changed the timing belt? I thought this engine had a timing chain?
No I did not change the timing chain, I replaced a v-belt (drive belt/serpentine belt) which powers the water pump, etc. The belt is exposed if you look towards the passenger side of the engine bay you will see a belt next to the coolant reservoir. The part number to the belt is 99364-C1050.
Old 11-12-20 | 07:02 PM
Magellan55

OK got it thanks for the explanation. Sorry I've always had cars with timing belts, where the water pump is also run by that belt and you have to take the front of the engine apart to get to both.
Old 11-13-20 | 12:11 AM
Trexus

OK got it thanks for the explanation. Sorry I've always had cars with timing belts, where the water pump is also run by that belt and you have to take the front of the engine apart to get to both.
I had a 1996 ES 300 which I replaced the timing belt three times and drove her over 400K miles and someone rear ended me and she was totaled. Then I got the CT 200h which has a timing chain as well as the HS 250h.

Will you be replacing your water pump in the near future?
Old 11-13-20 | 07:57 PM
Magellan55

Will you be replacing your water pump in the near future?
Maybe. Had given it zero thought until my wife's water pump failed on her much newer Highlander. Fortunately it failed on her as she was pulling into the shop to have her oil changed. But I'm handing my HS to my 16 year old to drive through high school and college, and really don't want her stranded on the side of the road somewhere. So I'm thinking of having it replaced proactively when I take it in for annual service. I'm guessing it's not as expensive a repair as doing a timing belt? Might do the hoses too while the coolant is drained. Maybe this is old school thinking but hoses used to get brittle over time.
Old 11-14-20 | 01:06 AM
Trexus

Maybe. Had given it zero thought until my wife's water pump failed on her much newer Highlander. Fortunately it failed on her as she was pulling into the shop to have her oil changed. But I'm handing my HS to my 16 year old to drive through high school and college, and really don't want her stranded on the side of the road somewhere. So I'm thinking of having it replaced proactively when I take it in for annual service. I'm guessing it's not as expensive a repair as doing a timing belt? Might do the hoses too while the coolant is drained. Maybe this is old school thinking but hoses used to get brittle over time.
That would be a good idea to replace the water pump and hoses by the time you give the HS to your daughter. You are correct that the hoses over time do get brittle. I should have replaced mine but definitely will in the future. As I mentioned in my previous post I replaced my water pump, thermostat & gasket, belt, coolant including labor and I paid $795.07

Are students back to school in North Carolina? My 18 year old daughter has just started college in October and it's all on-line.
Old 11-14-20 | 01:54 PM
Magellan55

Are students back to school in North Carolina? My 18 year old daughter has just started college in October and it's all on-line.
No we're still virtual in high school, but they expect to go to a hybrid schedule in the spring. She can't park at school until next fall (junior year) anyway. I think the colleges here vary - UNC tried in-person this fall but quickly reversed course when hundreds of students got sick. But I think other campuses are still in-person.