HS 250h Model (2010-2012)

CarPlay retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-22, 11:34 AM
AndrewT1
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CarPlay retrofit

Has anyone here successfully retrofitted CarPlay into their HS? I was looking for a solution but was unable to find one.
Old 09-09-22, 11:28 AM
user 72028304
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AndrewT1
Has anyone here successfully retrofitted CarPlay into their HS? I was looking for a solution but was unable to find one.
I'm looking at importing a HS250h from Japan. In my country, I need a model with rear fog lights, so I have been looking VERY closely at the photos to confirm the front/rear fog lamp switch, etc.

As I've been looking at the dashboard stereo configuration, I've been thinking about the potential for CarPlay in these cars.

You could leave the fold-down stock screen in place, using it for the car's features such as the ventilation system. For the stereo unit below the ventilation controls however, you could try to obtain a stock stereo and fascia from the Toyota Sai. This includes a swing-up cover plate, and beneath it, a plain black plastic fascia surrounding an ordinary rectangular 2DIN stereo. Here's an example closeup from a Japanese 2011 Sai: https://ccsrpcml.carsensor.net/CSphoto/ml/314/399/U00039314399/U00039314399_33_001.jpg?ver=detail001&impolicy=car_002

No clear idea whether this would actually work, but I imagine there is some potential to mix-and-match since the two cars are so similar in design.
Old 06-13-23, 03:37 PM
850R
Pit Crew

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Yes it is possible to upgrade an HS250h to wireless Carplay/Android Auto. Here is the required kit: V-Line Grom

The kit itself is very expensive and there is little to no documentation on how to install it into an HS250h. In my area there is a V-Line Grom authorized dealer that will install it for you. They quoted $950 USD for parts and install. We paused since, I will be honest, I am not sure if we plan on keeping our vehicle long enough to justify the investment. That being said, a friend of mine at work had this kit put in into his CT200h and I was impressed by the results. The AA operation was seamless and worked quite well. All factory functions still work. A long push on the home button allows you to switch from the normal operation mode to the AA/Carplay screen.
Old 06-14-23, 10:10 AM
gromaudio
Vendor

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by 850R
Yes it is possible to upgrade an HS250h to wireless Carplay/Android Auto. Here is the required kit: V-Line Grom

The kit itself is very expensive and there is little to no documentation on how to install it into an HS250h. In my area there is a V-Line Grom authorized dealer that will install it for you. They quoted $950 USD for parts and install. We paused since, I will be honest, I am not sure if we plan on keeping our vehicle long enough to justify the investment. That being said, a friend of mine at work had this kit put in into his CT200h and I was impressed by the results. The AA operation was seamless and worked quite well. All factory functions still work. A long push on the home button allows you to switch from the normal operation mode to the AA/Carplay screen.
Thank you for referencing GROM VLine VL2 system! We are happy to answer any questions about the product. Note the original stereo of Lexus HS 250h 2010-2012 needs to have factory navigation to be compatible with GROM VLine VL2 system. The other option we have it GROM VLine VT2 which is CarPlay and Android Auto only, and it is more affordable:

https://gromaudio.com/store/vlite/grom-vt2-lex6rt.html

CarPlay and Android Auto are both wireless as well as via USB.
Old 06-14-23, 06:06 PM
850R
Pit Crew

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by gromaudio
Thank you for referencing GROM VLine VL2 system! We are happy to answer any questions about the product. Note the original stereo of Lexus HS 250h 2010-2012 needs to have factory navigation to be compatible with GROM VLine VL2 system. The other option we have it GROM VLine VT2 which is CarPlay and Android Auto only, and it is more affordable:

https://gromaudio.com/store/vlite/grom-vt2-lex6rt.html

CarPlay and Android Auto are both wireless as well as via USB.
For those folks like me who would considering installing your VL2 system ourselves, could you provide us with any documentation/videos on what needs to disassembled in the HS250h in order to install the system? Also, is your systemj plug and play our does it require permeant modification to the vehicle?
Old 06-21-23, 03:06 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Originally Posted by 850R
For those folks like me who would considering installing your VL2 system ourselves, could you provide us with any documentation/videos on what needs to disassembled in the HS250h in order to install the system? Also, is your systemj plug and play our does it require permeant modification to the vehicle?
We do not have the dashboard video for the HS 250h, but we have them for the other Lexus models and years. You can get an idea of what needs to be done. You can check available videos on our YouTube channel youtube.com gromaudio (remove the spacing)

The system is plug-and-play and the back of the stereo and display. It does not require any permanent modification to the vehicle or the stereo.

Last edited by gromaudio; 07-12-23 at 10:20 AM. Reason: link
Old 06-25-24, 08:20 AM
Skywalker8510
2nd gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gromaudio
We do not have the dashboard video for the HS 250h, but we have them for the other Lexus models and years.
It would be really nice if you could make a tutorial for the HS250h because this car isn't the same as other models and it makes it hard to follow the tutorials you have. its basically the only thing that's keeping me on the fence about getting a VLite system for my HS. I'm just waiting to find a installation tutorial for the HS to pull the trigger
​​​​​​
The following 2 users liked this post by Skywalker8510:
dougaliscious (07-16-24), gromaudio (06-26-24)

Trending Topics

Old 06-26-24, 10:11 AM
gromaudio
Vendor

Originally Posted by Skywalker8510
It would be really nice if you could make a tutorial for the HS250h because this car isn't the same as other models and it makes it hard to follow the tutorials you have. its basically the only thing that's keeping me on the fence about getting a VLite system for my HS. I'm just waiting to find a installation tutorial for the HS to pull the trigger
​​​​​​
We will make a tutorial as soon as we get a hold of this vehicle. I recommend you to subscribe to our YouTube channel notifications and also to our bi-monthly newsletter at https://bit.ly/vline_interest to receive an update once the video is available. Your contact information always stays private with us!