HS 250h Model (2010-2012)

Please help! My hs250 won't move, engine not turning on!

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-22, 06:35 AM
Erockzny
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help! My hs250 won't move, engine not turning on!

About 2 weeks ago started hearing some weird brake noises when stopped, today I go to work and it says check hybrid system, the ! With the triangle is blinking , says traction control is off, I can't move into any gears! My car engine does not start but the car turns on
is my car dead? Please help I don't know what to do or how to fix
Old 12-01-22, 09:53 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,182 Likes on 1,010 Posts

Welcome to CL.
The brake noises could indicate a few different things - all expensive unless you just need brake pads. How many miles are on it? FYI the HS250h has the same engine and hybrid drivetrain as the Toyota Camry.

There are few things you can go. If it has the original 12 volt battery it may be dead. It is reached through the trunk and is behind the passenger side back seat. You have to get one from a Lexus dealer. You see low voltage makes all kinds of warning lights go on and can create many random problems. You can test it to see if it has 12 volts. If you do not have any way to do that, then we are back to the tow it to a shop option.

But that may not be your issue. You really need a hybrid expert to diagnose the problem and you will have to tow it to them. You can either go to an independenth hybrid shop such as
https://www.thehybridshop.com/ which is national, or the dealer. Or search Yelp or Google for local hybrid shops.

Good Luck and let us know what happens.
Old 12-01-22, 03:57 PM
Erockzny
Rookie

Originally Posted by Clutchless
Welcome to CL.
The brake noises could indicate a few different things - all expensive unless you just need brake pads. How many miles are on it? FYI the HS250h has the same engine and hybrid drivetrain as the Toyota Camry.

There are few things you can go. If it has the original 12 volt battery it may be dead. It is reached through the trunk and is behind the passenger side back seat. You have to get one from a Lexus dealer. You see low voltage makes all kinds of warning lights go on and can create many random problems. You can test it to see if it has 12 volts. If you do not have any way to do that, then we are back to the tow it to a shop option.

But that may not be your issue. You really need a hybrid expert to diagnose the problem and you will have to tow it to them. You can either go to an independenth hybrid shop such as
https://www.thehybridshop.com/ which is national, or the dealer. Or search Yelp or Google for local hybrid shops.

Good Luck and let us know what happens.

My car has 179,000 miles. 2010 model

I don't think it's the 12 volt it was changed last summer. If it was the 12 volt I don't think the car would start. I can still charge my phone and my heated seats stay hot. Engine won't turn on but car does

I'm thinking it has to do with the hybrid breaking system. I got it shipped to the dealer.

If it's the breaking system how much would it cost to fix

It sounds like this

https://priuschat.com/threads/strang...-brake.189304/.

They said it might be

failing abs actuator.

The engine still runs like new when it works and over all I still like the car, hopefully it's not like a $6000 bill.

But I'm hearing that it could be like $4000.

That's just too much. $1500 is reasonable.

Was I Lucky they it happened on a parked street? What would happen if I was driving it and this happened?

Let's see what happens tomorrow

Last edited by Erockzny; 12-01-22 at 07:46 PM.
Old 12-02-22, 10:16 AM
Clutchless

It probably is the abs actuator or electronic brake force distribution thing. The cost to replace being so high is a good incentive to get your brake fluid flushed every 3 years to prevent corrosion and damage to these parts. Brake fluid absorbs water which leads to the corrosion in these components. It probably would not fail as you were driving except to flash warning lights.
Let us know how much they want and what needs to be repaired/replaced.
I hope you had the transmission replaced under the recall a few years ago.
Old 12-02-22, 12:48 PM
Erockzny
Rookie

Originally Posted by Clutchless
It probably is the abs actuator or electronic brake force distribution thing. The cost to replace being so high is a good incentive to get your brake fluid flushed every 3 years to prevent corrosion and damage to these parts. Brake fluid absorbs water which leads to the corrosion in these components. It probably would not fail as you were driving except to flash warning lights.
Let us know how much they want and what needs to be repaired/replaced.
I hope you had the transmission replaced under the recall a few years ago.

Yes I did get the transmission fixed.

Toyota says they don't know what's wrong they are still "running test"

I asked if it's the breaks they said no because the engine doesn't turn on. So they are recharging it to run some more tests they said the car wouldn't turn on maybe battery needs charging

Either way, they had the car all day and still don't know what's going on. They said the tech guy won't be in until Monday

If it's the battery I found a place called green bean battery that will install one for $2300.

https://greenbeanbattery.com

They said it might take 4 weeks though unless they have one in stock.

I was wondering would the breaks cause the engine not to turn on? What else should I expect to fix around this time

Last edited by Erockzny; 12-02-22 at 07:38 PM.
Old 12-06-22, 07:06 AM
Erockzny
Rookie

Well everything worked out! I still don't know what happened but my car works and all i paid was $180!

Old 12-06-22, 12:15 PM
Clutchless

It appears you had so much junk in your trunk it knocked the service plug connection loose which caused all your problems. So clean out your trunk!
You dodged a bullet this time! Must be your Christmas present.