Acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-23, 07:26 AM
Aqualung35
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Acceleration

Hello. Need advice.
With a sharp acceleration, when overtaking, I notice that the car accelerates reluctantly, literally freezes for 1-2 seconds and then accelerates. It feels like there is not enough traction. All modes are disabled, ECO, POWER MODE ... Recently I changed the spark plugs, cleaned the throttle valve, changed the air filter, this problem did not disappear.
I will be glad to any advice.
Thanks in advance.
Old 01-27-23, 10:22 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,182 Likes on 1,010 Posts

Has it just started doing this? How long have you had it? How many miles? This is not a fast car.

Hybrids are quirky and it may just be normal. See this because the HS has the Camry hybrid engine etc. https://priuschat.com/threads/seriou...-hybrid.38815/

I often run Power Mode just because it feels faster and the throttle acts more like a normal gas engine car.

Did you clean the Mass Air Flow Sensor? Have you checked for stored codes?

Next run a bottle of Techron Fuel System cleaner in the gas tank. Get the larger size bottle. I did this recently and think it helped the engine run smoother and become a little faster. I have a little over 100,000 miles.
Sometimes running 2 bottles ( 1 for each tank full of gas) will clean it even more if 1 does not make a big difference.

Where in Delaware are you? I have a house in Lewes.

Last edited by Clutchless; 01-27-23 at 10:26 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Aqualung35 (01-28-23)
Old 01-28-23, 01:09 AM
Aqualung35
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Clutchless
Has it just started doing this? How long have you had it? How many miles? This is not a fast car.

Hybrids are quirky and it may just be normal. See this because the HS has the Camry hybrid engine etc. https://priuschat.com/threads/seriou...-hybrid.38815/

I often run Power Mode just because it feels faster and the throttle acts more like a normal gas engine car.

Did you clean the Mass Air Flow Sensor? Have you checked for stored codes?

Next run a bottle of Techron Fuel System cleaner in the gas tank. Get the larger size bottle. I did this recently and think it helped the engine run smoother and become a little faster. I have a little over 100,000 miles.
Sometimes running 2 bottles ( 1 for each tank full of gas) will clean it even more if 1 does not make a big difference.

Where in Delaware are you? I have a house in Lewes.
The city is not particularly felt, except when overtaking, when you need to quickly accelerate ...
I noticed this in the summer when I went out of town, on the highway. In Power Mode, of course, the car is faster, although there is still a delay, the arrow rises to the white zone, the motor roars, the delay for a second can be longer and after that it accelerates.
I checked the hybrid battery, only the contacts were oxidized there, they cleaned it, there are no problems. Current mileage is 127,000 miles. I didn’t clean the mass air flow sensor, I’ll do it and fill the cleaner, as you advise, I hope it helps ...
P.S.
No, I'm not in Delaware. I live in Georgia (Caucasus), the city of Tbilisi.
Thank you for your advice.
Old 01-28-23, 10:53 AM
newgsman
Instructor

Received 93 Likes on 64 Posts

The air flow sensor is probably a good place to start. Check for vacuum leaks, exhaust leaks. Also clean out your throttle body. Some additives to clean the fuel injectors wouldn't be a bad idea. The issue seems to be with the gas engine and probably not the electric part.
Old 07-08-24, 08:33 PM
tangierc
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey folks. My son was recently gifted one. We're getting used to it. Question though. It seems like there's hardly any acceleration even in Power Mode. I step on the pedal and the engine just makes a lot of noise, but the car has hardly any pick up. These are city streets (Los Angeles), not even the freeway. Feels like an old Nissan CVT - a lot of whirring, but the car hardly moves. Is this normal? Mileage is just barely over 100K.
Old 07-10-24, 05:17 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,182 Likes on 1,010 Posts

You probably should have it inspected by a reliable independent car repair shop. FYI this vehicle has the Camry engine and hybrid system. Use Google or Yelp to find one near to you if you do not already have a familiar shop. Do not go to the dealer as they will rob you and make up stuff to be repaired that will cost more than the car is worth.

Did you check if the engine air filter was clogged? Or you may just have to get used to the low power of this hybrid. Also check the tire pressure. You can read it on the dash by flipping through the toggle on the steering wheel (at least I can on mine that has navigation).

Also try a bottle of Techron Fuel System Cleaner in the gas to help clean out the fuel injectors and carbon build up on the intake system. Get the largest bottle. Most auto parts stores have it.

Power mode just makes the gas pedal react faster with less pressure it does not increase power that much. These are not quick vehicles.