HS 250h Model (2010-2012)

HS 250h sound system

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-10, 04:45 AM
Richw
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HS 250h sound system

I've had my HS for almost a month and still LOVE this car! My only gripe is the sound system. I thought the ML system would not be worth the $$, but now that I've had it a while, I am seriously underwhelmed by this car's audio. Muddy highs, mids and lows, no real sound stage. Tweaking using the equalizer doesn't help. My old 2005 Prius sounded better!

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? I'm considering an aftermarket install, but am worried about messing with the interior.

Thanks,
Rich

P.S. People who liken this car to a "Prius with a trunk" are out of their minds! Either they have never driven an HS or a Prius (or both).
Old 05-09-10, 07:39 AM
KGenaidy
Driver

Hi RichW,

While I only have the "stock" sound system ... I found cutting the bass 3 or 4 "clicks" and boosting the mids 1 click helped clean things up a bit. It's far from perfect ... but it's "livable". I decided I won't to the "custom" route since I'm leasing this vehicle. If I owned ... I probably still wouldn't do it ... due to the same concerns you have expressed.

If you go the aftermarket "custom" route ... be sure to find a reputable dealer with a "good" installer. Ask to see work they have done. In my previous vehicle ... I replaced from the head unit back. When done ... it was a clean install ... but the "parts" could never be removed and went w/the car when I sold it. I spent quite a bit of time planning out the install before it happened. On the other side of the coin ... it sounded absolutely terrific while I had it.

Also ... if you go from the head unit back ... you may very well have to "un-equalize" the output of the head unit for the speakers (read the output is probably not flat).

Best of luck!
Old 05-09-10, 07:50 AM
Magellan55

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

I agree with KGenaidy on the settings - I usually leave things flat or slightly bump up the bass and treble on other cars, but on the HS I find I have to bump the midrange and either reduce the bass, or steer the fader a few clicks towards the front.

I haven't messed too much with aftermarket, but I did install better speakers on my '98 Passat, and really liked the difference. I'm sure the stock speakers in the HS are of better quality than those however, so there might not be as much of a difference. However, I did find that replacing the 2-piece speakers in the rear doors along with the fronts changed the sound stage, and I could hear the rear tweets too much from the driver's seat. I ended up replacing the rears with coaxials, so the tweets weren't right behind my head. No idea if that would be an issue on the HS as well, but my guess is the stocks had been tuned to avoid that situation.
Old 05-09-10, 10:25 AM
Richw
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the responses and suggestions. I've tried tweaking the EQs and still am not happy. I talked to a local car audio place who confirmed what Kgenaidy said - that they would start with a unit that would give them full control of the EQ and would only recommend new speakers if that didn't do the trick.

Interestingly, they also said they do all the Lexus Enform, XM, and ML system installs for the Lexus dealers in the area. I didn't think these were aftermarket items. Anyone got the skinny on this? Could I get the Mark Levinson after the purchase? Is it worth the $1500?

Thanks again,
Rich
Old 05-09-10, 12:26 PM
KGenaidy
Driver

I'm pretty sure that if there's work to be done for Enform and XM it's a simple "plugin" module for XM enablement.

To the best of my knowledge ... the only way to get the ML system is direct from Lexus on a new vehicle built with it.
Old 05-09-10, 12:57 PM
KGenaidy
Driver

With regards to is the ML worth the up charge. The answer will all depend on a persons "tastes" and ear towards car audio. I happen to be in the camp that does think it's worth it. I just wasn't willing to wait to get it.

Regarding upgrading the audio ... 1.5K isn't much money when you break it out into the component parts and labor ... and you may not be happy with the results at this price point. It quickly starts to add up in cost.
Old 05-09-10, 07:26 PM
Magellan55

FWIW, installing a complete system aftermarket will easily run you $1500, and it may not sound as tuned to the car as something like the ML system. I priced a system out a few years ago, and not even including a new head unit, $1500 was about the minimum with decent components and installation by a reputable place. As GKenaidy comments, it all depends if you care enough about music / can hear the difference and you've got the coin for the upgrade.

To me, it also depends on your planned source of music - if you plan to just listen to compressed files off an ipod or mp3 player, it seems silly to pay for a high end system. Sort of like plugging a cassette player in to a high end home system
Old 05-10-10, 06:44 AM
YotaCarFan
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Richw
Interestingly, they also said they do all the Lexus Enform, XM, and ML system installs for the Lexus dealers in the area. I didn't think these were aftermarket items. Anyone got the skinny on this? Could I get the Mark Levinson after the purchase? Is it worth the $1500?
I'd be leery of an audio dealer that made bogus claims like this. Enform and ML can only be installed by the factory; they are not dealer or port installed options.

In theory, you could buy all the ML parts (amp, wiring harnesses, speakers, head unit) and have them put in. But, the prices you'd pay for these parts would be exorbitant to the point it'd be cheaper to trade in the car for a new one that was equipped with ML from the factory.

The simplest and most cost-effective upgrade of your standard audio would be to have a subwoofer with associated mono-amp installed, and to possibly replace the front door midrange speakers with ones having larger diameter, as well as replacing the tweeters with new ones compatible with your new door speakers. If there's a speaker in the center of the dashboard, it'll need to be replaced, too, so that all midrange speakers have the same tonal qualities.

If I do decide to buy an HS, I'm definitely going to wait for the 5-month ML special order. I've got an ES with standard audio, and it's absolutely horrid, and I don't consider myself an audiophile. I learned my lesson the hard way -- I'll never buy a car with standard grade audio again
Old 05-10-10, 12:03 PM
LexFather

I have found that Lexus dumbed down the factory system so it makes ML a more compelling buy. In the 1990s, Lexus base systems were fantastic with Nakamichi really taking it to another level.
Old 05-10-10, 06:30 PM
YotaCarFan
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I have found that Lexus dumbed down the factory system so it makes ML a more compelling buy. In the 1990s, Lexus base systems were fantastic with Nakamichi really taking it to another level.
While I'm not crazy about being gouged by having to pay extra to get a stereo that sounds decent so Lexus can fatten their bottom line, what really grinds my gears is the lack of availability of ML audio in so many Lexus models. In my area, ES & RX models with ML are rare, and of course the HS requires a special factory order to get ML. Lexus' strategy not only isn't increasing profit per vehicle (most people buy what's on the lot), it's also making their cars less desirable.
Old 05-12-10, 11:39 AM
tonyscv
Driver

It's definitely an improvement to adjust the treble and particularly the mid-range up. I have it set to the treble up 2-3 ticks depending on source, mid-range up 3-4 ticks depending on source. Makes it much more listenable, but I agree it's a departure from Lexus' I've owned in the past which often require little change from the midpoint settings.

I listened to a ML-equipped HS and I didn't hear nearly enough difference in sound quality to justify the price tag. Often times just upgrading the speakers alone from stock (leaving the head unit and amp alone) can make a big difference.
Old 05-14-10, 07:34 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by YotaCarFan
While I'm not crazy about being gouged by having to pay extra to get a stereo that sounds decent so Lexus can fatten their bottom line, what really grinds my gears is the lack of availability of ML audio in so many Lexus models. In my area, ES & RX models with ML are rare, and of course the HS requires a special factory order to get ML. Lexus' strategy not only isn't increasing profit per vehicle (most people buy what's on the lot), it's also making their cars less desirable.
I agree with you in regards to ML availability.
Old 05-20-10, 03:37 AM
Richw
Driver School Candidate

Default Sound system solution

I wanted to report that I took the plunge and upgraded the sound system in my HS. Went with a set of Focal 165 V30s and a Boston Acoustics 802 amp. A HUGE IMPROVEMENT!

The installer reported that the factory settings had everything sort of set up to focus the sound toward the 3" speaker for the middle channel (really stupid for a car that doesn't have a DVD player). The original speakers were lightweight (the magnet on the 6.5s couldn't haves weighed more than a pound), flimsy and just plain cheap. After installing the Focals and setting it to get the best possible separation...Voilà! Magnificent sound stage, gut thumping mid-bass, pure sweet highs, 0 distortion all the way up to max volume. Focals are expensive, but worth every penny IMO.

This total install cost several hundred $$ less than the tariff for the Mark Levinson system, so I couldn't be happier. I strongly recommend anyone who is unsatisfied with the sound in their HS go this route.
Old 05-20-10, 04:17 AM
KGenaidy
Driver

Good for you!

Where did you have the tweeters, external crossover, and amp mounted?

I assume they decided that the head-unit output was flat?

Also, does it still look like a factory install?

Sorry about the many questions ...
Old 05-20-10, 06:53 AM
Magellan55

Cool! Yes, give us the skinny...and pics too!

Did you upgrade all speakers, or just the fronts? What about the sub in the back?

Quick Reply: HS 250h sound system