Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2023 up RX model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the hybrid models. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other fifth generation RX models.

RX500H Production - Hold

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-23, 03:47 PM
Dhill
Pit Crew

Received 112 Likes on 67 Posts

The 500h uses the same turbo engine as the 350 gas model paired with the same electric engine as the 350h, so different than the 350h. The 350h combo engine has been around for awhile. Not sure how long the 500h pairing has been around.

Last edited by Dhill; 03-17-23 at 03:51 PM.
Old 03-17-23, 05:11 PM
MrTuckers
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

What tracker app? Can you please share this info? Thanks!
Old 03-17-23, 05:13 PM
MrTuckers
Driver

I've been reading the other posts added here by other 500h owners regarding things like gas covers not being flushed with body and other sorts of things that fall along the line as being "Quality" issues but simple things like this wouldn't cause a halt to production. Just a week ago while my car was in transit, the dealer texted me and said I was lucky that my car left the factory already because the ones that are currently in "A" or Assembly status are on hold. Apparently whatever issues they're having caused them to put my car on hold at the dealership as well even though it had already escaped the factory.

Maybe it's an item that could be found on TSB bulletins? Just wondering if any information can be found and confirmed from that source.

Last edited by MrTuckers; 03-18-23 at 01:04 AM.
Old 03-17-23, 05:42 PM
John89
Pit Crew

Received 85 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by MrTuckers
If this issue was resolved already, what caused them to hold my vehicle today? Did they get old information or is there another issue grounding the RX500h?
https://toyota-tracker.com/

Did I miss something, I don’t see the post that says it was resolved?
Old 03-18-23, 12:01 AM
MrTuckers
Driver

Default Mine is also currently on hold due to QC issues

I hope they didn’t find another issue that nobody yet knows about. They’re holding my car for about 1 week but dealer said it’s not transmission issues. Maybe it’s cosmetic or this gas cap or safety? Quite frustrating because I’m buying this out of state and I was hoping it would ship out to me from the East to the West Coast soon.

Car was allocated last Feb 15 and dealer said the other 500s (in “A” or assembly status) currently in factory are on hold and I got lucky it was shipped out but still unlucky that whatever is holding up production is also affecting even my car that was already shipped out to the dealership.

Last edited by MrTuckers; 03-18-23 at 12:05 AM.
Old 03-19-23, 03:03 PM
MrTuckers
Driver

I wonder if these issues could be causing the 500hs to be grounded? I asked the dealer again and he said the corporate inspectors are performing this check as a precaution.

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/3-most-...d-real-owners/
Old 03-19-23, 03:12 PM
MrTuckers
Driver

Originally Posted by Julius071
About a week after we put a deposit (December 2022) for our RX500H we got the same story that our RX (and other NX too) are on hold at local transit station due to inspection and QA. Dealership didn't say what they are addressing specifically. Then after two weeks later (total of three weeks) our RX500H was ready to be picked up.
My vehicle is currently on hold for probably the similar issue as you experienced but your issue was more than two months ago. By the time my car was being built, the issue may have gotten resolved already but this sounds like a new issue was discovered. It’s strange because when it left the factory in Ontario, it was also on hold for 14 days at a Buffalo, NY location for reasons unknown. The delivery window to dealership was Mar 3-15 and arrived 16th at the dealership in Pennsylvania. On the day it arrived, the dealer told me it was on hold pending an inspection.

From the latest news, all 500hs are grounded but for what reason? Mechanical, safety, cosmetic? For them to stop the entire production line means it could be something major and leans towards the side of safety. My car was able to escape the factory only to be told it snuck out just before they grounded the others being assembled behind it.

We still intend to buy the vehicle hoping those issues will be resolved and that we are still protected by the powertrain and other warranties related to the new vehicle. If it’s an issue that needs to be fixed, for sure there will be another delay as the part will need to be sent from factory hopefully by a reliable source that can get the parts out in time.

Last edited by MrTuckers; 03-19-23 at 03:15 PM.
Old 03-19-23, 08:36 PM
Vanguard
Pit Crew

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts

I wonder if these issues could be causing the 500hs to be grounded? I asked the dealer again and he said the corporate inspectors are performing this check as a precaution.

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/3-most-...d-real-owners/
Bro those issues refer to lifetime of the entire RX model Gen 1-4 lol
Old 03-20-23, 07:13 PM
MrTuckers
Driver

Originally Posted by Vanguard
Bro those issues refer to lifetime of the entire RX model Gen 1-4 lol
Whoops- information overload I suppose. Just looking for answers out there in the web.

I’ve contacted another dealer to show interest in the vehicle they have in stock (no markup but you do need to buy 3K worth of added aftermarket garbage) to see if they can try and divulge if they know if any issues on the 500h and they said factory has not contacted them or told them that their “A” status cars have not been grounded so what’s the deal? I don’t think they would tell the dealers anyways as they would assume it’s another factory delay and could just be waiting as normal without being informed.

If the 500 did have an issue and if they sold it as-is wouldn’t they be liable? It sounds like the issue is VIN specific as what one of our members pointed out in an earlier message. Kind of like those foods with certain date code that was affected by salmonella poisoning. 😳

Maybe the issue has to do with builds that went through assembly in the past 3 weeks and of course the ones that are stuck in the factory right now. I contacted an insider but I don’t think he’ll respond back in fear of losing his credentials.

Last edited by MrTuckers; 03-20-23 at 07:20 PM.
Old 03-20-23, 07:44 PM
Vanguard
Pit Crew

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts

Whoops- information overload I suppose. Just looking for answers out there in the web.

I’ve contacted another dealer to show interest in the vehicle they have in stock (no markup but you do need to buy 3K worth of added aftermarket garbage) to see if they can try and divulge if they know if any issues on the 500h and they said factory has not contacted them or told them that their “A” status cars have not been grounded so what’s the deal? I don’t think they would tell the dealers anyways as they would assume it’s another factory delay and could just be waiting as normal without being informed.

If the 500 did have an issue and if they sold it as-is wouldn’t they be liable? It sounds like the issue is VIN specific as what one of our members pointed out in an earlier message. Kind of like those foods with certain date code that was affected by salmonella poisoning. 😳

Maybe the issue has to do with builds that went through assembly in the past 3 weeks and of course the ones that are stuck in the factory right now. I contacted an insider but I don’t think he’ll respond back in fear of losing his credentials.
My dealer in NY say they have not gotten any notification about 500H holds. I just bought one from them less than 10 days ago with no issues and they still have one for sale on the floor. My salesman is very transparent, and they have zero communication from lexus about a stop hold. This must be for new units built in the last couple of weeks maybe.
Old 03-20-23, 07:50 PM
MrTuckers
Driver

Originally Posted by Vanguard
My dealer in NY say they have not gotten any notification about 500H holds. I just bought one from them less than 10 days ago with no issues and they still have one for sale on the floor. My salesman is very transparent, and they have zero communication from lexus about a stop hold. This must be for new units built in the last couple of weeks maybe.
Yes that’s what I’m thinking as well. My allocation was pretty quick. Placed the order Feb 15 and it was delivered to the dealer 31 days later. Could have been sooner but it was stuck in Buffalo for about 13 days. Since you’re from NY, did they do the same for your car?

The dealer I’m working with is in Pennsylvania so they got allocations quick just because of their remote location close to the Canadian border.

I'm not sure what happens at that Buffalo holding yard if it’s just a holding point or do they do inspect the cars from there as well? Dealer said my car escaped the factory and others behind it were put on hold.

When was your allocation put in? Maybe ours were built during the same time frame? I hate to accuse the dealer for stalling but I can’t see any other reason why they would tell me this and make me wait even longer for my car to be processed.
The following users liked this post:
Vanguard (03-21-23)
Old 03-20-23, 08:04 PM
John89
Pit Crew

Yes that’s what I’m thinking as well. My allocation was pretty quick. Placed the order Feb 15 and it was delivered to the dealer 31 days later. Could have been sooner but it was stuck in Buffalo for about 13 days. Since you’re from NY, did they do the same for your car?

The dealer I’m working with is in Pennsylvania so they got allocations quick just because of their remote location close to the Canadian border.

I'm not sure what happens at that Buffalo holding yard if it’s just a holding point or do they do inspect the cars from there as well? Dealer said my car escaped the factory and others behind it were put on hold.

When was your allocation put in? Maybe ours were built during the same time frame? I hate to accuse the dealer for stalling but I can’t see any other reason why they would tell me this and make me wait even longer for my car to be processed.
Maybe last 4 digits number of vin#, mine is 4212 build date 3/2 as when tracked it is advised it on QC 30 day hold with no ETA yet
Old 03-20-23, 09:28 PM
MrTuckers
Driver

Originally Posted by John89
Maybe last 4 digits number of vin#, mine is 4212 build date 3/2 as when tracked it is advised it on QC 30 day hold with no ETA yet
Thanks for sharing the info. It must be something they found recently. Maybe bad batch of parts from last source shipped.

In a way I hope they fix this issue soon. All of this bad timing is really screwing things up and most importantly the APR that I locked in for my loan could go up if I don’t close the deal on the vehicle. So many unfortunate mishaps have been happening. I feel bad for my wife who was looking forward to this car after waiting for almost 4 months only for it to fall flat right before the finish line.

I’m keeping all hopes up and we did spend a great deal and effort already getting to this point and she already has her heart and mind made up on intending to buy this vehicle.

So we can say from the time they messaged you and now is about 18 days. If it's truly 30 days then what the dealer told me (end of week) it should be resolved hopefully- fingers crossed!

My VIN ends in 3736 so we're not far-off from each other.

Last edited by MrTuckers; 03-20-23 at 09:41 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Vanguard (03-21-23)
Old 03-21-23, 09:46 AM
John89
Pit Crew

Thanks for sharing the info. It must be something they found recently. Maybe bad batch of parts from last source shipped.

In a way I hope they fix this issue soon. All of this bad timing is really screwing things up and most importantly the APR that I locked in for my loan could go up if I don’t close the deal on the vehicle. So many unfortunate mishaps have been happening. I feel bad for my wife who was looking forward to this car after waiting for almost 4 months only for it to fall flat right before the finish line.

I’m keeping all hopes up and we did spend a great deal and effort already getting to this point and she already has her heart and mind made up on intending to buy this vehicle.

So we can say from the time they messaged you and now is about 18 days. If it's truly 30 days then what the dealer told me (end of week) it should be resolved hopefully- fingers crossed!

My VIN ends in 3736 so we're not far-off from each other.
The way it seems is that maybe something went astray during production for these cars. In which they then need to inspect each car to make sure whatever it was doesn't show the particular defect. The other thing it can be is that their is going to be recall or campaign and they want to get all the cars completed that they have prior to announcing the recall. They did this last year with the Rav4 and NX prior to VSC software update recall. Their was also welding issue in NX where they had to inspect the weld as less then 1% had defect. In your particular case that your car is at the dealer, I think you should force them for what they are inspecting or fixing. I would push them hard as I know my dealer doesn't have clue but it because he doesn't have any affected or being inspected at dealership. To bad you don't live in area because then you could speak with the inspectors. T
Old 03-21-23, 10:06 AM
MrTuckers
Driver

Originally Posted by John89
The way it seems is that maybe something went astray during production for these cars. In which they then need to inspect each car to make sure whatever it was doesn't show the particular defect. The other thing it can be is that their is going to be recall or campaign and they want to get all the cars completed that they have prior to announcing the recall. They did this last year with the Rav4 and NX prior to VSC software update recall. Their was also welding issue in NX where they had to inspect the weld as less then 1% had defect. In your particular case that your car is at the dealer, I think you should force them for what they are inspecting or fixing. I would push them hard as I know my dealer doesn't have clue but it because he doesn't have any affected or being inspected at dealership. To bad you don't live in area because then you could speak with the inspectors. T
You have a point and I wish I was onsite to ask inspectors exactly what they’re looking for. Dealer expects these inspectors to come in tomorrow. I’m just anticipating what they will find and hopefully the car isn’t a lemon meaning the repairs would warrant a replacement of another 500 which I doubt that will happen. Nonetheless I asked Credit Union if at all they are concerned about me going forward with the financing of vehicle and of course their response was if you sign buyers order and agree, any issues with vehicle should be covered under warranty and basically the issues are in your hands now.

Let’s just hope no other issues come up anytime soon even though Lexus prides itself on quality. The pandemic has really hampered quality and sourcing in a negative way.

The dealer does have the right to know what is being inspected right? But then again they may hold back info to prevent losing a customer in the sale. Regardless, the customer has the right to know what they were looking for just for peace of mind.

Quick Reply: RX500H Production - Hold