Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2023 up RX model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the hybrid models. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other fifth generation RX models.

RX500H Production - Hold

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-23, 11:22 AM
Vanguard
Pit Crew

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by MrTuckers
Yes that’s what I’m thinking as well. My allocation was pretty quick. Placed the order Feb 15 and it was delivered to the dealer 31 days later. Could have been sooner but it was stuck in Buffalo for about 13 days. Since you’re from NY, did they do the same for your car?

The dealer I’m working with is in Pennsylvania so they got allocations quick just because of their remote location close to the Canadian border.

I'm not sure what happens at that Buffalo holding yard if it’s just a holding point or do they do inspect the cars from there as well? Dealer said my car escaped the factory and others behind it were put on hold.

When was your allocation put in? Maybe ours were built during the same time frame? I hate to accuse the dealer for stalling but I can’t see any other reason why they would tell me this and make me wait even longer for my car to be processed.
My car was built on 12/22.

I didnt even order it, the dealer had it in the basement with 2 miles on it. They have one more in copper crest in their show room. Both came in a few weeks ago

The only "bad" part is they were fully optioned at around 73K so I didnt have much of a choice lol.
Old 03-21-23, 11:25 AM
Vanguard
Pit Crew

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts

You have a point and I wish I was onsite to ask inspectors exactly what they’re looking for. Dealer expects these inspectors to come in tomorrow. I’m just anticipating what they will find and hopefully the car isn’t a lemon meaning the repairs would warrant a replacement of another 500 which I doubt that will happen. Nonetheless I asked Credit Union if at all they are concerned about me going forward with the financing of vehicle and of course their response was if you sign buyers order and agree, any issues with vehicle should be covered under warranty and basically the issues are in your hands now.

Let’s just hope no other issues come up anytime soon even though Lexus prides itself on quality. The pandemic has really hampered quality and sourcing in a negative way.

The dealer does have the right to know what is being inspected right? But then again they may hold back info to prevent losing a customer in the sale. Regardless, the customer has the right to know what they were looking for just for peace of mind.
I had a 2021 BMW X6 who's infotainment screen I had to get replaced like 4 times because each of the previous attempts the screen had a very high pitched whine to it all the time. It was horrible. Car manufacturers really have been sourcing electronics from low quality component companies to meet demand it seems.
Old 03-21-23, 11:33 AM
MrTuckers
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Vanguard
I had a 2021 BMW X6 who's infotainment screen I had to get replaced like 4 times because each of the previous attempts the screen had a very high pitched whine to it all the time. It was horrible. Car manufacturers really have been sourcing electronics from low quality component companies to meet demand it seems.
Blame it on the pandemic which forced manufacturers to default on substandard 2nd or 3rd sources just so that they can stay on production timeline which the drawback is lack of quality.
Old 03-21-23, 12:30 PM
MrTuckers
Driver

I have all the chips in my corner, I have all docs signed, including Buyers order/agreement and ready to return back to dealer via FedEx but I think I will hold off until inspections are completed and they tell me what the issue was just so that I have peace of mind. Nothing will be processed until I return all docs along with financing and down payment put in place as the last key elements. If I return the buyers order then I’m already binded to the contract.
Old 03-21-23, 01:31 PM
John89
Pit Crew

Received 76 Likes on 52 Posts

I don't think they are trying to sell it out from under you, here in the North East there are some what easy to come by with zero mark up or extra items that you have to buy. I am only waiting because of color combo that is only reason, they had black and at time copper in stick as well.
Look at 2022 Toyota Tacoma issues, that was not an easy release for Toyota so hopefully they got it right this time.
The following users liked this post:
MrTuckers (03-21-23)
Old 03-22-23, 12:02 PM
MrTuckers
Driver

Originally Posted by John89
I don't think they are trying to sell it out from under you, here in the North East there are some what easy to come by with zero mark up or extra items that you have to buy. I am only waiting because of color combo that is only reason, they had black and at time copper in stick as well.
Look at 2022 Toyota Tacoma issues, that was not an easy release for Toyota so hopefully they got it right this time.
Dealer shared info regarding the issue with my vehicle. He said that the codes they were receiving from vehicle were false-positives.

Apparently the sensors were not properly set coming out of factory thus throwing error codes when it was received at dealership and checked upon arrival. Dealer also said that they didn’t have the latest tool that would clear those codes and reset sensors from throwing false positives for the latest RX models. I was assured that there were no safety or mechanical issues to be worried about. Lexus Certified QC inspectors cleared the car for pickup. I’m so relieved. I hope the issue is the same for others who are currently on standby.

This though doesn’t explain why all other 500s are currently grounded. Maybe their sensors need to be properly set before going out to dealerships across country?
Old 03-22-23, 01:37 PM
John89
Pit Crew

Dealer shared info regarding the issue with my vehicle. He said that the codes they were receiving from vehicle were false-positives.

Apparently the sensors were not properly set coming out of factory thus throwing error codes when it was received at dealership and checked upon arrival. Dealer also said that they didn’t have the latest tool that would clear those codes and reset sensors from throwing false positives for the latest RX models. I was assured that there were no safety or mechanical issues to be worried about. Lexus Certified QC inspectors cleared the car for pickup. I’m so relieved. I hope the issue is the same for others who are currently on standby.

This though doesn’t explain why all other 500s are currently grounded. Maybe their sensors need to be properly set before going out to dealerships across country?
Thanks for the update and glad they caught it before delivering it to you with codes.

Did they say what sensors it was showing the fault on? And what is the fix, assume it was software update?
Old 03-22-23, 02:33 PM
MrTuckers
Driver

Thanks for the update and glad they caught it before delivering it to you with codes.

Did they say what sensors it was showing the fault on? And what is the fix, assume it was software update?
From what I was told, I think the sensors weren’t properly adjusted per our the door settings and they arrived to dealership in that condition. He didn’t mention which specific sensors but it has to do with the ones that would cause them to ground the car out of precaution.

Dealer said once they got updated tool for checking, they were able to set the sensor settings back to as they should be. Maybe this was plugged into the OBD2 port or some other interface. I don’t think any firmware was updated. Maybe just the settings reset to customer mode.
Old 03-22-23, 03:01 PM
John89
Pit Crew

Interesting because when they’re transported they’re set in transport mode. Then when the dealer receives them they set them back to normal mode and I know when they first came out this issue was occurring that they couldn’t get them out of transport mode. Maybe this is continuing to occur. Well glad it isn’t transmission or engine issue.
Old 03-22-23, 03:16 PM
MrTuckers
Driver

Interesting because when they’re transported they’re set in transport mode. Then when the dealer receives them they set them back to normal mode and I know when they first came out this issue was occurring that they couldn’t get them out of transport mode. Maybe this is continuing to occur. Well glad it isn’t transmission or engine issue.
Ya I think it’s because dealer didn’t have the updated tool that allows them to do so per what I was told. Sounds like my order was their first 500h on their lot so maybe their current RX tool is not compatible for all RX lineups?
Old 03-24-23, 06:45 AM
John89
Pit Crew

Ya I think it’s because dealer didn’t have the updated tool that allows them to do so per what I was told. Sounds like my order was their first 500h on their lot so maybe their current RX tool is not compatible for all RX lineups?
Did they release your RX and did you get it yet?

We are still waiting dealer told me after 12pm today is when they update their system but all RX 500H were under 30 day QC "Under Study Hold" but he did confirm if they were in stock or made it to dealer then they could sell without issue as their isn't a no sale order as they are being checked prior to dealer. Dealers are clueless due to Toyota reps not even telling them anything.
Old 03-24-23, 08:05 AM
MrTuckers
Driver

Did they release your RX and did you get it yet?

We are still waiting dealer told me after 12pm today is when they update their system but all RX 500H were under 30 day QC "Under Study Hold" but he did confirm if they were in stock or made it to dealer then they could sell without issue as their isn't a no sale order as they are being checked prior to dealer. Dealers are clueless due to Toyota reps not even telling them anything.
Still in the process and it seems like there’s more delays here and there. Waiting for credit union to cut them the check and it should be ready for pickup.

There’s just not enough days in the week and the only time I can get any traction is on the weekdays. Once Thursday or Friday comes along, nothing gets processed on weekends as dealership is closed on Sundays and I have to wait the following week again.

I can see the finish line but it just seems it’s still far away. 🙁
Old 03-26-23, 12:11 PM
John89
Pit Crew

Maybe it has to do with this TSB for advance park - https://dot.report/bulletins/10230372
Old 03-26-23, 12:17 PM
MrTuckers
Driver

Maybe it has to do with this TSB for advance park - https://dot.report/bulletins/10230372
This could be the culprit.
Old 03-27-23, 09:28 AM
MrTuckers
Driver

I’m starting to get fed up with delays after delays. Dealer said they ran into an issue where they couldn’t start up the vehicle last Sat in preparation to getting it detailed. It’s starting to become comical and I’m wondering if they sold me a lemon. so from last Tuesday when it was cleared OK and Saturday another issue pops up?

Issue after issue is not good and it seems it’s taking forever for the car to be ready for transport to pickup and ship over to me on west coast. Dealer is saying they bringing back the Field Engineer to take a look at the vehicle. I’m starting to question if their service department is even competent to fix issues like this or at least maybe it could simple as resetting some settings on the vehicle or properly diagnosing what the real issue is. Battery drain, firmware bug, anti-theft,etc? This is so ridiculous and frustrating. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Last edited by MrTuckers; 03-27-23 at 09:32 AM.

Quick Reply: RX500H Production - Hold