Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2022 and up NX hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the NX Hybrid models. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other 2nd generation NX models.

Downsizing wheels on 2022 NX 350h

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-23, 12:03 PM
rkbug
8th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SgtLip
I'm scheduled to pick up my 23-450h+ between 12-15 April. I have tried to get the dealer to swap tires. He wants to charge me $1,500 and he won't give me anything for the Run Flats even though they're new. So I will drive it straight to Discount Tire and get the Michelin CrossClimate 2 A/S. I can't stand Run Flats. I can't believe Lexus puts them on a luxury vehicle. They have some of the worst tire ratings of any tire manufactured. I've heard BMW quit putting them on their cars but I don't know this for sure. Either way, they stink when it comes to tire choice. That's my and a few hundred thousand tire reviews opinion of course. I have also purchased a spare tire and kit from a source I saw here on the forum. Should have it early April.

Has anyone seen or heard of a modification to the cargo area storage to put a spare? I'm searching!!!!
With Michelin CrossClimate 2 A/S, there might be some improvements compared to the stock tires but unless you downsize the wheel, the aspect ratio (sidewall thickness) wont increase. Tires with larger sidewall gives you more plushy ride. Nevertheless, pls share your experience with CrossClimate 2.
The following users liked this post:
SgtLip (03-28-23)
Old 03-28-23, 12:28 PM
SgtLip
Advanced

Received 209 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by rkbug
Me too. I am looking for some ideas on getting the spare beneath the board by taking out some of those plastic compartments. The spare uses much of the smaller cargo space and it is impractical from Lexus to have a design without a spare option.
@rkbug After looking at the video @lsft posted I'm not so sure we can put a spare down there. It appears to be a lot of wiring and some or it is the Orange color (high power). They only way I can see is if there was a way to elevate it over the wiring and then without measurements I'm not so sure there is enough space.

Originally Posted by rkbug
With Michelin CrossClimate 2 A/S, there might be some improvements compared to the stock tires but unless you downsize the wheel, the aspect ratio (sidewall thickness) wont increase. Tires with larger sidewall gives you more plushy ride. Nevertheless, pls share your experience with CrossClimate 2.
@rkbug I will post once I get the car and get the tires swapped. They aren't the tires I was really hoping for but they appear to be the best for the OE size. Otherwise as you said, a wheel change is necessary. Can't afford that. I really just want to get the car and drive it home. Buying from dealer on east coast of Florida and I live on west coast of Florida. So I'll get 125 miles on it driving it home. That will tell me how crappy RunFlats really are. Wife said to leave them on and drive them until we have to change them. So we will see. I vote to swap them out. Just don't know what to do with the OE tires. But I'll post when I do.
​​​​​​​
Old 03-28-23, 06:53 PM
lexsc4
Instructor

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts

@rkbug I will post once I get the car and get the tires swapped. They aren't the tires I was really hoping for but they appear to be the best for the OE size. Otherwise as you said, a wheel change is necessary. Can't afford that. I really just want to get the car and drive it home. Buying from dealer on east coast of Florida and I live on west coast of Florida. So I'll get 125 miles on it driving it home. That will tell me how crappy RunFlats really are. Wife said to leave them on and drive them until we have to change them. So we will see. I vote to swap them out. Just don't know what to do with the OE tires. But I'll post when I do.
[/QUOTE]

Our 2024 NX Hybrid will arrive by mid April in S. California and I am in the SF Bay area. Gonna fly over to LA and drives 400 miles back.
We plan to leave the RFs on until they are worned out, the buy a set of Michelins+spare. No point wasting $1K.
​​​​​​​For long trip, my 2017 ES350 or my son's 08 RX AWD will have to do the job.
SgtLip (03-28-23)
Old 03-28-23, 08:42 PM
43sbest
Pit Crew

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

I JUST saw 2 kits for less than $500 at Modern Spare.
Modern Spare for the NX is $490 + $48 shipping + around $45 tax depending on what your local tax rate is. That brings to total to around $570+ --------------------I went another route for a little over $300.
The following 2 users liked this post by 43sbest:
bt10 (03-29-23), SgtLip (03-29-23)
Old 03-28-23, 08:56 PM
lexsc4
Instructor

Originally Posted by 43sbest
Modern Spare for the NX is $490 + $48 shipping + around $45 tax depending on what your local tax rate is. That brings to total to around $570+ --------------------I went another route for a little over $300.
if you don’t mind sharing what this $300 route is? I am interested to save a few Benjamin as the probability of never need it is high. Thx.
romer (03-28-23)
Old 03-29-23, 04:09 AM
MPCuse1
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Also looking to downsize from 20" wheels to 18" wheels.
Looking to buy OEM NX gen 2 18' wheels or trade my 20" for your 18" wheels. I am in the Albany, NY area. 900 miles and counting on my set up.
It will not let me post a WTB in the classifieds as I am a new member still.
Old 03-29-23, 04:46 AM
bt10
Pit Crew

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Also would be interested in the $300 spare tire option??
Old 03-29-23, 06:02 AM
SgtLip
Advanced

I was able to find Spare Tires for the NX on eBay for $299. But they are real donuts!! You can drive 50 MPH and their life span is 50 miles. The other part of the kit is still missing unless you have the spare parts laying around.

That is the Jack, Lug Wrench and Wheel Alignment Pins (optional). I did find a BUNCH of $29 jacks on Amazon and Harbor Freight. They do not have the proper notch in them for the NX and they are 1.5 ton. The lug wrench is a user option. You can buy all sorts of different lug wrenches and cost varies by type selected.
I did purchase a 7mm Non-marring Impact Deep Lug Nut Socket to protect my wheels. That was $10 on Amazon. And last I purchased a pair of M14x1.5 Wheel Alignment Pilot Pins. They were $25 on Amazon.

As for the Modern Spare Kit (arrives today) I purchased a full kit. Their kit does NOT include the Wheel Alignment Pins but they do sell them. I will just substitute my Non-marring socket for the lugs instead of the sockets provided in the kit.

But that is all my choice. There are options, it just depends on if you want to make a bunch of individual purchases or a kit designed for the NX in one shot. Again, this was my solution to the problem.

Last edited by SgtLip; 03-29-23 at 06:03 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 03-29-23, 10:16 AM
lexsc4
Instructor

I was able to find Spare Tires for the NX on eBay for $299. But they are real donuts!! You can drive 50 MPH and their life span is 50 miles. The other part of the kit is still missing unless you have the spare parts laying around.

That is the Jack, Lug Wrench and Wheel Alignment Pins (optional). I did find a BUNCH of $29 jacks on Amazon and Harbor Freight. They do not have the proper notch in them for the NX and they are 1.5 ton. The lug wrench is a user option. You can buy all sorts of different lug wrenches and cost varies by type selected.
I did purchase a 7mm Non-marring Impact Deep Lug Nut Socket to protect my wheels. That was $10 on Amazon. And last I purchased a pair of M14x1.5 Wheel Alignment Pilot Pins. They were $25 on Amazon.

As for the Modern Spare Kit (arrives today) I purchased a full kit. Their kit does NOT include the Wheel Alignment Pins but they do sell them. I will just substitute my Non-marring socket for the lugs instead of the sockets provided in the kit.

But that is all my choice. There are options, it just depends on if you want to make a bunch of individual purchases or a kit designed for the NX in one shot. Again, this was my solution to the problem.
Thanks. Personally I would rather have a small donut, it takes up less room and the probability of ever needing it is quite low, we don't go anywhere near any unbeaten path. I wonder if a Toyota Donut Spare tire will work.

Old 03-29-23, 03:00 PM
Lex2000TL
Intermediate

Received 97 Likes on 72 Posts

I'm scheduled to pick up my 23-450h+ between 12-15 April. I have tried to get the dealer to swap tires. He wants to charge me $1,500 and he won't give me anything for the Run Flats even though they're new. So I will drive it straight to Discount Tire and get the Michelin CrossClimate 2 A/S. ...
Unless you are in love with Lexus wheels, perhaps it is worth of looking into buying complete set (rims and tires) from Tirerack. You can bring this set to pick up your new ride and have dealer swap it right before you drive away. Then, you can sell Lexus set that will have almost no miles, like new.
Old 03-29-23, 03:30 PM
harper7
Pit Crew

Received 65 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Lex2000TL
Unless you are in love with Lexus wheels, perhaps it is worth of looking into buying complete set (rims and tires) from Tirerack. You can bring this set to pick up your new ride and have dealer swap it right before you drive away. Then, you can sell Lexus set that will have almost no miles, like new.
The problem with that is they changed to 14x1.5mm radius BOLTS for the 22-23 NX's instead of lug nuts and studs and most ,prob 99%, of aftermarket wheels don't work with radius bolts. They have to be made specific for the NX . You may be able to buy conical lug bolts if the aftermarket wheels take them,or install studs like the previous 39 years of Lexus's ,which is what I did. Previous Lexus wheels all took flat washer mag style nuts on studs and there are none of them will work with bolts ,conical or radius.

Bottom line is the wheel attaching hardware has to match the wheel and the NX . Same goes for a spare is why older Lexus spares are NOT a direct fit.
Somebody with a 2nd Gen NX250, which still has a spare would help out if the showed us theirs. Pretty sure ,from looking at Lexus parts catalog that it is a 18x4 five spoke aluminum wheel with tire(unknown size) on it. Our stock tires and wheel have a 29.1 inch diameter and the spare should be close to the same size for safety.

They made is so complicated on us to save a few bucks. Local parts manager said the new design 23 RX's still take the old school wheels and have studs like before. The new design UX,NX and IS are the only the only Lexus to get the new radius lug bolts. Maybe it's a social experiment!
Old 03-29-23, 03:48 PM
chuckNX
Intermediate

Received 153 Likes on 101 Posts

I JUST saw 2 kits for less than $500 at Modern Spare.
I bought one of those off eBay a few years ago when I had a BMW with run flats for about $300. Never used it but it is one of those things you don't need until you do.
Old 03-30-23, 05:31 AM
bt10
Pit Crew

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by harper7
The problem with that is they changed to 14x1.5mm radius BOLTS for the 22-23 NX's instead of lug nuts and studs and most ,prob 99%, of aftermarket wheels don't work with radius bolts. They have to be made specific for the NX . You may be able to buy conical lug bolts if the aftermarket wheels take them,or install studs like the previous 39 years of Lexus's ,which is what I did. Previous Lexus wheels all took flat washer mag style nuts on studs and there are none of them will work with bolts ,conical or radius.

Bottom line is the wheel attaching hardware has to match the wheel and the NX . Same goes for a spare is why older Lexus spares are NOT a direct fit.
Somebody with a 2nd Gen NX250, which still has a spare would help out if the showed us theirs. Pretty sure ,from looking at Lexus parts catalog that it is a 18x4 five spoke aluminum wheel with tire(unknown size) on it. Our stock tires and wheel have a 29.1 inch diameter and the spare should be close to the same size for safety.

They made is so complicated on us to save a few bucks. Local parts manager said the new design 23 RX's still take the old school wheels and have studs like before. The new design UX,NX and IS are the only the only Lexus to get the new radius lug bolts. Maybe it's a social experiment!
Someone had confirmed in a different thread that you can buy the proper conical lug bolts for your chosen spare at the dealer parts dept for a modest charge, and just carry them in the trunk. Probably get the same ones off Amazon or your local tire store as well.
Old 03-30-23, 03:49 PM
43sbest
Pit Crew

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by lexsc4
if you don’t mind sharing what this $300 route is? I am interested to save a few Benjamin as the probability of never need it is high. Thx.
I bought the spare and jack on ebay, spare for $229 and a jack for a Mazda CX9 (don't buy one of those cheap jacks for $20) . The seller for the spare has one listed that works if you have 18" wheels,165/70 18 tire. If you have 20" wheels you need a 165/90 18 tire which is what I have. You can see my 2 or 3 post under "Replacing run flat tire" https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...flat-tire.html.
I replaced the 235/50 RF20s with Perilli Scorpion AS Plus 3 245/50 R20 102V, UTQG 800AA, It's the best selling AS tire on Tire Rack. I bought mine From Amazon For $179 + tax and free shipping. I see Amazons price is now $221. The Perilli 245s have almost no road noise, a much better ride and the car handles better.
If you read all the comments on the link referenced above you will see that some people get down right upset when you complain about the sorry Bridgestone RF tires on the NX and how I spend MY money. If you are happy with the Bridgestone RFs that's fine with me but don't criticize someone that's not.
The following 2 users liked this post by 43sbest:
romer (04-05-23), SgtLip (03-30-23)
Old 03-30-23, 04:01 PM
SgtLip
Advanced

Originally Posted by 43sbest
I bought the spare and jack on ebay, spare for $229 and a jack for a Mazda CX9 (don't buy one of those cheap jacks for $20) . The seller for the spare has one listed that works if you have 18" wheels,165/70 18 tire. If you have 20" wheels you need a 165/90 18 tire which is what I have. You can see my 2 or 3 post under "Replacing run flat tire" https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...flat-tire.html.
I replaced the 235/50 RF20s with Perilli Scorpion AS Plus 3 245/50 R20 102V, UTQG 800AA, It's the best selling AS tire on Tire Rack. I bought mine From Amazon For $179 + tax and free shipping. I see Amazons price is now $221. The Perilli 245s have almost no road noise, a much better ride and the car handles better.
If you read all the comments on the link referenced above you will see that some people get down right upset when you complain about the sorry Bridgestone RF tires on the NX and how I spend MY money. If you are happy with the Bridgestone RFs that's fine with me but don't criticize someone that's not.
Your spare, how tall is it? I understand spare wheels tap out at 18" wheels. So we with 20" ones, unless we downsize, we have to have the taller tire so that the set (tire & wheel) are the necessary 29" high. So is your set 29"? If so, ten it is the same height as the one I have. I was wondering if there was something that would be smaller that would work but I guess since the other 3 are 29" then the spare has to be 29" or extremely close to it.

Different subject: I had a couple of Subaru's a few years back. Their AWD is what they call Asynchronous (sp?) and if you change one tire you pretty much had to replace all 4. Is the Lexus AWD the same? Do you know?

Quick Reply: Downsizing wheels on 2022 NX 350h