Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2022 and up NX hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the NX Hybrid models. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other 2nd generation NX models.

Downsizing wheels on 2022 NX 350h

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-23, 08:41 AM
rkbug
8th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Downsizing wheels on 2022 NX 350h

Hi all,

My LX came with a 20" run flat. Didn't have a choice as I got the car in the crazy 2022 market. Now, I am not happy with the road noise and the comfort of the stock tires. I am thinking of changing the wheels to 18" to get better tires with more aspect ratio (better comfort). Has anyone got this done? Any pointers to watch for?
The following users liked this post:
SdeGat (03-27-23)
Old 03-22-23, 09:25 AM
LilyTiger
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 34 Posts

The tire size was discussed a while back here. Maybe this will help?
Old 03-22-23, 11:19 AM
Dunerking
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Wow,I’m surprised you felt the 20” setup wasn’t comfortable enough. I’m actualgoing the opposite direction as I felt it was too “spongy” and looking to move up to 22” with less sidewall. If that’s not enough I’ll change springs out.
Old 03-22-23, 11:36 AM
rkbug
8th Gear

@Dunerking are you using stock tires or did you change them. I hear a lot of road noise with the 20" than with the 18" and a tires with larger aspect ratio.
Old 03-22-23, 01:08 PM
Dunerking
Driver

Currently still running the OEM 20” Tim’s and Bridgestone RFT tires(2407 miles) as the new Vossen 22” with Continental tires will be going on this Friday. I really haven’t noticed any excess tire noise,but it also maybe drowned out by all of the annoying safety alerts. Lol 😂
Ultimately I’m trying to get near the handling and feel of the Cayenne that we previously had.
SdeGat (03-27-23)
Old 03-22-23, 01:55 PM
lexsc4
Instructor

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Dunerking
Currently still running the OEM 20” Tim’s and Bridgestone RFT tires(2407 miles) as the new Vossen 22” with Continental tires will be going on this Friday. I really haven’t noticed any excess tire noise,but it also maybe drowned out by all of the annoying safety alerts. Lol 😂
Ultimately I’m trying to get near the handling and feel of the Cayenne that we previously had.

Good luck with that and running 22' in CA.
Bay Area here for the last 30 years, road and HWYs ain't that great. I am running 17s" on my ES and my wife incoming 2024 NX hybrid is on 18s". As soon as those darn RFs worned out on wife's NXH, I am heading right to America's tire and get Michelins.
Old 03-22-23, 02:12 PM
Dunerking
Driver

Agreed,nothing will compare to the Cayenne. But I should be able to narrow the gap some with better tires and spring/shock upgrade. 22” rims shouldn’t be a issue,with some paying while driving and not running a super low profile tire (265/40 Continentals which is close to the current OEM sidewall) the larger rad Uli us tire actual should help. We will find out this weekend. Also the So.Cal roads aren’t nearing as bad as some of the nations roads…was in Atlanta for the past 7 months and that place makes So.Cal roads look like gold.
Old 03-22-23, 02:21 PM
lexsc4
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dunerking
Agreed,nothing will compare to the Cayenne. But I should be able to narrow the gap some with better tires and spring/shock upgrade. 22” rims shouldn’t be a issue,with some paying while driving and not running a super low profile tire (265/40 Continentals which is close to the current OEM sidewall) the larger rad Uli us tire actual should help. We will find out this weekend. Also the So.Cal roads aren’t nearing as bad as some of the nations roads…was in Atlanta for the past 7 months and that place makes So.Cal roads look like gold.
Alright, do let us know how those 22" feel after installation.
Old 03-22-23, 02:55 PM
Dunerking
Driver

Absolutely…I know for some a plush ride is essential…I’m hoping I can find the balance between plush ride and responsive.
Old 03-22-23, 04:14 PM
SgtLip
Advanced

Received 209 Likes on 149 Posts

I'm scheduled to pick up my 23-450h+ between 12-15 April. I have tried to get the dealer to swap tires. He wants to charge me $1,500 and he won't give me anything for the Run Flats even though they're new. So I will drive it straight to Discount Tire and get the Michelin CrossClimate 2 A/S. I can't stand Run Flats. I can't believe Lexus puts them on a luxury vehicle. They have some of the worst tire ratings of any tire manufactured. I've heard BMW quit putting them on their cars but I don't know this for sure. Either way, they stink when it comes to tire choice. That's my and a few hundred thousand tire reviews opinion of course. I have also purchased a spare tire and kit from a source I saw here on the forum. Should have it early April.

Has anyone seen or heard of a modification to the cargo area storage to put a spare? I'm searching!!!!
Old 03-22-23, 04:25 PM
romer
Intermediate

Received 158 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by SgtLip
I'm scheduled to pick up my 23-450h+ between 12-15 April. I have tried to get the dealer to swap tires. He wants to charge me $1,500 and he won't give me anything for the Run Flats even though they're new. So I will drive it straight to Discount Tire and get the Michelin CrossClimate 2 A/S. I can't stand Run Flats. I can't believe Lexus puts them on a luxury vehicle. They have some of the worst tire ratings of any tire manufactured. I've heard BMW quit putting them on their cars but I don't know this for sure. Either way, they stink when it comes to tire choice. That's my and a few hundred thousand tire reviews opinion of course. I have also purchased a spare tire and kit from a source I saw here on the forum. Should have it early April.

Has anyone seen or heard of a modification to the cargo area storage to put a spare? I'm searching!!!!
Where did you get the spare, and, is it a temporary or full size spare? Thanks.
Old 03-22-23, 04:35 PM
lexsc4
Instructor

Just checked the BMW website. X3 is all RFs. there is no option to even buy a spare tire kit.
Old 03-22-23, 04:43 PM
SgtLip
Advanced

Originally Posted by romer
Where did you get the spare, and, is it a temporary or full size spare? Thanks.
Not sure if I'm allowed to post the web link. I'm a newbie to the forum. It's ModernSparedotcom.
A little expensive but it's a complete kit or you can purchase pieces of the kit. I tried pricing individual pieces at other locations but the price was close to the same. Not sure exactly how it is classified. You can drive full speed and 2,500 miles. It is a real tire only more narrow than regular tire. The tire height is the same as factory size.

Last edited by SgtLip; 03-22-23 at 04:45 PM. Reason: typo
The following 2 users liked this post by SgtLip:
Dunerking (03-23-23), romer (03-22-23)
Old 03-22-23, 04:44 PM
SgtLip
Advanced

Originally Posted by lexsc4
Just checked the BMW website. X3 is all RFs. there is no option to even buy a spare tire kit.
I JUST saw 2 kits for less than $500 at Modern Spare.
Old 03-28-23, 12:01 PM
rkbug
8th Gear

Originally Posted by SgtLip

Me too. I am looking for some ideas on getting the spare beneath the board by taking out some of those plastic compartments. The spare uses much of the smaller cargo space and it is impractical from Lexus to have a design without a spare option.
SgtLip (03-28-23)

Quick Reply: Downsizing wheels on 2022 NX 350h