Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2022 and up NX hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the NX Hybrid models. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other 2nd generation NX models.

Nx450h Recharging Battery while driving

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-24, 01:12 AM
BobMillar
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Earman
There is a button allowing to recharge the depleted main battery with the ICE engine while driving.

Does anyone know approximately how much gas is used per 100km recharging the battery?

I am trying to find out if it is worth it to recharge the battery while driving on the highway to get an extra 67 km on pure battery power or if it is counter productive to do so and it is better to wait to be at destination near a plug to recharge.

I searched for this subject but could not find anything on it...

Thanks!
Hi.
In my experience (NX 450H+ PHEV). The battery will not fall below about 30% and will not charge from the engine above 80%. I have to charge from the engine occasionally to be able to access specific zones in some cities. I have noticed that charging on the motorway is a waste of time and fuel because it is so slow. At lower speeds, the charging is much faster and I can get 10 km electric in only 4 to 5 driving. I am assuming that there is much more "unused" energy available at about 40 to 60 km/h for charging.
Obviously all this is software controlled and I think the designers have made compromises to ensure that no matter what, there is always enough electric power and engine power for rapid acceleration or continuous 4-wheel drive.
I think the luckiest people are those who can charge every night and then drive mixed journeys with motorway and urban routes. Then the car will show its true value.
Old 03-28-24, 03:30 AM
LuxNx
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default NX 2nd Generation Hold Charge mode

Originally Posted by Earman
There is a button allowing to recharge the depleted main battery with the ICE engine while driving.

Does anyone know approximately how much gas is used per 100km recharging the battery?

I am trying to find out if it is worth it to recharge the battery while driving on the highway to get an extra 67 km on pure battery power or if it is counter productive to do so and it is better to wait to be at destination near a plug to recharge.

I searched for this subject but could not find anything on it...

Thanks!
I use Hold Charge mode when EV battery is empty.
This when I'm driving on long Trips on Motorways, such to have 10 to 15 km of EV range when arriving to the final destination.
I notice that is much more convinient to use HGM when driving at 90 to 130 km/h: gasoline consumption is increasing by 1 to 2 km/l. You do not feel any lack of Power as speed is quite contant and the Atkinson Engine gives an higher torque.
I tried it at low speed, but gasoline comsumption is increasing in a relevant manner, with noticeable lack of Power, as the Atkinson Engine has not a good torque at low speed: the hybrid mode is helping a lot during such phase but not when in HGM.
Based on My experience i Would suggest not to engage HGM below 70 km/h, unless You do not care about higher gasoline consumption.
Than HGM self disengages at 71 km of EV range charge.
I had the chance to try it after a long downhill driving, as I wanted to complete the EV recharge, but a pop up message warned me that HGM was not available as EV battery was full and the EV range was at 71 km.

Old 03-28-24, 11:04 AM
gamma742
Intermediate

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by LuxNx
Than HGM self disengages at 71 km of EV range charge.
Just curious if you happen to know what percent of the HV Battery is at 71 km range? Seems high than 80%
Old 03-28-24, 11:30 AM
LuxNx
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default NX 2nd Generation Charging while driving

Originally Posted by gamma742
Just curious if you happen to know what percent of the HV Battery is at 71 km range? Seems high than 80%
It equals to full minus a fraction of kWh.
The rechargeable part of EV battery is 14,9 kWh, as 3,2 kWh are reserved to hybrid mode, or self rechargeable part while decelerating or braking.
So a bit below 80%.