Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the GS450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the GS450H. Please use the main 4GS forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation GS models.

Is it safe to drive 4th gen gs450h with 10% bio fuel?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-23, 12:06 PM
bladest
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Is it safe to drive 4th gen gs450h with 10% bio fuel?

Hi everyone,

in my country due to regulations they decided to mix petrol, from now on all of the petrol is mixed with 10% at least bio fuel - bio means from different places like corn, like seaweed , so basicly junk....
with this crappy fuel , car and fuel is less potent so less octane rating, probably more fuel consumption and they will increase this bio stuff in the near future as well...
any suggestions is it safe, will it brake my car engine, for some cars this is very dangerous and it can lead to permanent damage into the engine due to extra corrosion from the fuel it self leaks from the rubber seals etcs...
Old 04-22-23, 01:17 PM
Kooper
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

If i'm not mistaken, most fuel in USA contains up to 10% ethanol. So if was a problem it would think it would be well documented by now.
Old 04-22-23, 01:19 PM
bladest
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kooper
If i'm not mistaken, most fuel in USA contains up to 10% ethanol. So if was a problem it would think it would be well documented by now.
i didnt know that i never been in usa
so is it safe to drive with 10% bio fuel.
over time this % will be increased probably at some point at around 50% ?
Old 04-23-23, 02:04 AM
Hues10
Advanced

Received 180 Likes on 138 Posts

What choice do you have if your Govt. Mandates a higher percentage of “junk” filler? Nobody in the USA likes the 10% ethanol, except corn growers in Iowa. We live with it because the alternative gets way too expensive and is hard to find.
Old 04-23-23, 03:29 AM
bladest
Instructor

Originally Posted by Hues10
What choice do you have if your Govt. Mandates a higher percentage of “junk” filler? Nobody in the USA likes the 10% ethanol, except corn growers in Iowa. We live with it because the alternative gets way too expensive and is hard to find.
The thing is in Bulgaria,

there is a person who create alchocol, a lot and he have goverment connection, this thing here is not even corn its some other junk,
there is no option to buy alternative petrol without this bio junk unfortunately...
only option is lpg, they doesnt mix it with anything...
but in the future if this junk bio is around 50% will it harm the engine ? There is water and other bad stuff...
which creates corrosion etcs.
Old 04-23-23, 12:36 PM
CottageChz
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

You shouldn’t worry about it as you have no other option unless you want to sell the car, but we all know you don’t want to do that. Like others have said, the current mix seems fine; it is prevalent in the US and no widespread problems have been reported.
Old 04-23-23, 12:38 PM
bladest
Instructor

Originally Posted by CottageChz
You shouldn’t worry about it as you have no other option unless you want to sell the car, but we all know you don’t want to do that. Like others have said, the current mix seems fine; it is prevalent in the US and no widespread problems have been reported.
For over 2 years i try to sale the car and i still continue but , even when i reduce price very frequently people dont know lexus and this model in Europe so its extremely tough sale.
Unless i give the car for free or donate ti somewhere to scrapyard no other option.
I am glad that no problems so far , hopefully i wont have such problems in the near future when bio junk mix increase.... hopefully these engines are build to last.
Old 04-23-23, 12:55 PM
CottageChz
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Sorry to hear about your troubles selling but I would not worry about the fuel. From your posts I know you had lots of surprises pop up with the car but try to relax and enjoy it and don’t create problems where there are none. They are generally pretty reliable.
Old 04-23-23, 12:57 PM
bladest
Instructor

Originally Posted by CottageChz
Sorry to hear about your troubles selling but I would not worry about the fuel. From your posts I know you had lots of surprises pop up with the car but try to relax and enjoy it and don’t create problems where there are none. They are generally pretty reliable.
Yes my car is endless rusty bucket,
probably no one in the world will ever buy there is chance of 0.00001 .I want to ask you, since my shocks are leaking badly, will this cause further damage to my other parts of the suspention due to the shock - leaking fluid i dont know what fluid shocks have inside its some type of mineral or some type of oil i guess? Since i am waiting already 2nd year begin, for shock replacement from my village mechanic.
Old 04-23-23, 03:26 PM
7eight
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bladest
Yes my car is endless rusty bucket,
probably no one in the world will ever buy there is chance of 0.00001 .I want to ask you, since my shocks are leaking badly, will this cause further damage to my other parts of the suspention due to the shock - leaking fluid i dont know what fluid shocks have inside its some type of mineral or some type of oil i guess? Since i am waiting already 2nd year begin, for shock replacement from my village mechanic.

i would worry about the bio fuel problem when/if it happens, as for the shocks, I'm sure you could look up the ones you need and order internationally and have another not village mechanic install them,

no offense to the village mechanic but I know they won't be clued up on an obscure car they've probably never seen so not really worth the effort trying them when they've spent their life working on regular stuff that's common in the area.
Old 04-23-23, 03:31 PM
bladest
Instructor

Originally Posted by 7eight
i would worry about the bio fuel problem when/if it happens, as for the shocks, I'm sure you could look up the ones you need and order internationally and have another not village mechanic install them,

no offense to the village mechanic but I know they won't be clued up on an obscure car they've probably never seen so not really worth the effort trying them when they've spent their life working on regular stuff that's common in the area.
i ordered genuine shocks and they are with me, but my mechanic is very busy ,
and also these shocks are adaptive avs, so only he can change them, he needs to be extra carefull since the whole car is fully with rust, and not to brake something else thats why i have no other option but to wait if i go to quick lube place they will brake most of the car due to the rust and other problems..
and 99% of the places doesnt work with parts from the customer it doesnt matter genuine or not.

My village mechanic so far fully repaired and restored 2 of my classical cars + repaired different much newer cars he is specialized in Japanese cars only.
He is really good, i have been with my other classical cars in different repair shops but they are lacking his skillz.
Yes my village mechanic never seen car like mine before but he is really good, so far he changed my differential fluid,gearbox, filter and fluid and repaired a lot of other things of my car including 3d printing of my driver seats mechanism etcs...

i recently had brake issue with my classical car and 2 shops in the capital doesnt manage to solve it but my village mechanic solve it very fast and easy.
He works in hospital, and repairing cars is his hobby.
The following users liked this post:
7eight (04-23-23)
Old 04-23-23, 04:10 PM
Hues10
Advanced

Received 180 Likes on 138 Posts

I think at this point I would drive the car off a cliff, but jump out before it goes over, and see if it explodes into a fireball when it hits bottom. In movies, they all seem to explode when hitting the bottom, but I do not think anyone has tested the theory. If you do this, can you film it, and it will put my mind at ease as well as yours since you will not have the rusty bucket to worry about anymore.
The following 2 users liked this post by Hues10:
Im2bz2p345 (04-24-23), TreysGS460 (04-24-23)
Old 04-23-23, 04:19 PM
bladest
Instructor

Originally Posted by Hues10
I think at this point I would drive the car off a cliff, but jump out before it goes over, and see if it explodes into a fireball when it hits bottom. In movies, they all seem to explode when hitting the bottom, but I do not think anyone has tested the theory. If you do this, can you film it, and it will put my mind at ease as well as yours since you will not have the rusty bucket to worry about anymore.
Please just tell me , due to my leaking shocks,
will other parts of the suspention, can suffer damage ot they brake completely like ball join and everything in the front and rear suspention please advice.
Currently car is between 2 german cars, so its like in sandwich.
i got not plan to push it from cliff or something.
Old 04-24-23, 05:58 AM
EAST
Intermediate

Received 183 Likes on 140 Posts

According to this (last updated 2020):
https://www.etipbioenergy.eu/images/...ia_feb2020.pdf

The max was 9% in Bulgaria, in line with EU mandate of a max of 10% (similar to US E10. US does have E85 as well but not "mandated" to be used).

That matches with report here:
https://apps.fas.usda.gov/newgainapi...42022-0044.pdf

Potential target of 14% by 2030 is being debated, but up in the air.

Bioethanol is chemically same as "regular" ethanol. At least in the US, E10 has same octane, just less energy per gallon. So, horsepower should be same, you just go less distance.
Old 04-24-23, 06:03 AM
bladest
Instructor

Originally Posted by EAST
According to this (last updated 2020):
https://www.etipbioenergy.eu/images/...ia_feb2020.pdf

The max was 9% in Bulgaria, in line with EU mandate of a max of 10% (similar to US E10. US does have E85 as well but not "mandated" to be used).

That matches with report here:
https://apps.fas.usda.gov/newgainapi...42022-0044.pdf

Potential target of 14% by 2030 is being debated, but up in the air.

Bioethanol is chemically same as "regular" ethanol. At least in the US, E10 has same octane, just less energy per gallon. So, horsepower should be same, you just go less distance.

Bio junk in Bulgaria is sourced from this guy

in bulgaria
bio junk is owned by mafia trust me they doesnt care about regulation standartization https://blitz.bg/prestplenie/mediite...ews635837.html

if i fill my car with fuel from european country exept my own my car is giving me better fuel economy and it runs faster if i drive it with bg bio junk it gives me worse stats.

Quick Reply: Is it safe to drive 4th gen gs450h with 10% bio fuel?