Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2022 and up NX hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the NX Hybrid models. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other 2nd generation NX models.

350h air conditioner on when it’s off????

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-23, 11:37 PM
Aloha808
Rookie

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default 350h air conditioner on when it’s off????

Hello,
I have a nx350h and I noticed even when I have the AC off it still blows cold air. I’m from Hawaii so it’s hot here. Am I hallucinating that the air is blowing very cold or is the AC always on. Is this something with hybrids? I like it cold but sometimes I wait in the car for 30 minutes for my gf to get off work and I wouldn’t want to burn excess power beyond what powers the fan and radio. I do have the eco ac mode turned on but there is no blue dot above the AC button.
Old 04-28-23, 05:09 AM
mangust
Driver

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

I am sure I read someone's post about this just recently. I think this has to do with the vehicle maintaining its traction/hybrid battery at appropriate temperatures.
The battery heats up during use, and with a high ambient temperature it may need AC compressor assistance for the battery coolant. Since AC is already active, it residually cools the cabin air as well.
The following users liked this post:
Doug007 (04-28-23)
Old 04-28-23, 02:35 PM
Brisky27
Driver School Candidate

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Same here. When not wanted, I press the button that changes the air flow direction so it only blows from the bottom vent. I also have my vents set to about 2/3 open anyways
Old 04-28-23, 07:21 PM
lexsc4
Instructor

Received 193 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by mangust
I am sure I read someone's post about this just recently. I think this has to do with the vehicle maintaining its traction/hybrid battery at appropriate temperatures.
The battery heats up during use, and with a high ambient temperature it may need AC compressor assistance for the battery coolant. Since AC is already active, it residually cools the cabin air as well.
I thought the Hybrid batteries are cooled by its own coolant system?
Old 04-28-23, 07:24 PM
lexsc4
Instructor

Received 193 Likes on 156 Posts

For me I love the AC blowing cold air, without engine running. I was way for my daughter today at 80F for 20 minutes, the AC was running in the hybrid batteries and the engine didn’t even kick in. If it gets too cold, I just turn it off.
Old 04-28-23, 10:22 PM
LilyTiger
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 34 Posts

It’s not tied to just the hybrid models. With the new Toyota Multimedia system, the AC light will always turn off when you off the car and the light will remain off when you restart the car. But that doesn’t necessarily mean the AC itself is turned off. It goes into a sort of AC auto mode. If it thinks you need AC, it will still blow cold AC air even when the light is off, which is what you’re experiencing. And if it’s cold outside, it will blow warm heater air. So since the light will always be off when you start the car, if you want to ensure you’re getting AC, just tap and turn the light on. And if you want the normal fan or the heater, tap to turn the light on, wait a second or two so it registers, then turn it off again. Annoying, I know.

I’ve talked to my dealer about this and they’ve also received a lot of complaints. They’ve reached out to Lexus, and they insist it’s a “feature” and not a bug. I myself would like to know the reasoning behind why corporate thinks it’s a feature. If I wanted AC auto, I’d just press the auto button. From what I’ve heard and experienced, all the Toyotas and Lexus’s with the new interface have this same issue.
Old 05-01-23, 12:07 PM
jlim0930
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I noticed that when the AC is bold even without the dot on top the AC is on. You can touch the AC and when it’s no longer bold the AC is off
Old 08-16-23, 11:54 AM
adaplaz51
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Aloha808
Hello,
I have a nx350h and I noticed even when I have the AC off it still blows cold air. I’m from Hawaii so it’s hot here. Am I hallucinating that the air is blowing very cold or is the AC always on. Is this something with hybrids? I like it cold but sometimes I wait in the car for 30 minutes for my gf to get off work and I wouldn’t want to burn excess power beyond what powers the fan and radio. I do have the eco ac mode turned on but there is no blue dot above the AC button.

All in all, it's a simple thing. There are two types of auto function, the first one is in car settings. Selecting this function causes you to lose control over the airflow, airflow direction and AC compressor (it can work even without the light on). If you want to regain control, disable this feature. After turning on Auto on the car's console, the computer only controls the direction and strength of the airflow. Now you can turn on the AC compressor manually and the computer will fix the selected temperature.