Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2022 and up NX hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the NX Hybrid models. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other 2nd generation NX models.

NX350h 12V battery

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-23, 05:57 AM
lsft
Racer

Received 600 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by CdO
Where did you get this information?

When I have the computer connected to the "HV Battery" ECU while monitoring a charge, communication is lost a few seconds after the charging session finishes. All the battery temperatures come from the HV Battery ECU.

I suppose the "Plug-in Control" ECU (or maybe something else) could stay awake; but, if the HV Battery contactors are open (the HV battery is internally disconnected when not charging/discharging) and the EVSE shuts off, what would need to be monitored? The Plug-in Control does monitor the temperature of the + and - charge port terminals and the DC/DC converter; but again, if those are fine before everything shuts off, they will be fine after.

I could maybe look into it at some point; but, I don't often charge to full... and if I don't know what I'm looking for it may take a while to prove/disprove.
The manual says this:
"When the vehicle is left with the AC charging cable connected, the electricity consumption amount of the 12-volt battery increases due to controls, such as the system checking, operating. When the AC charging cable is not needed, remove it from the vehicle."

I don't have the tools like you who can do the checks and would be interested to know how much it draws.
The following users liked this post:
CdO (05-06-23)
Old 05-06-23, 11:01 PM
CdO
Pit Crew

Received 60 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by lsft
The manual says this:
"When the vehicle is left with the AC charging cable connected, the electricity consumption amount of the 12-volt battery increases due to controls, such as the system checking, operating. When the AC charging cable is not needed, remove it from the vehicle."
Maybe I can just hook up my multimeter to the battery; plug in the charging cable (without it being pugged into AC power); and, see what happens? I don't think the computer will be of any use.
Old 05-07-23, 12:03 AM
Aloha808
Rookie

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Can you unplug a car's 12V battery when you go on vacation in a hybrid? Or will that cause the hybrid battery to overheat? Please ONLY comment if you know. Anyone can speculate.
Old 05-07-23, 01:22 AM
lexxxxus
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Tbh it’s pretty absurd that Lexus isn’t addressing this issue, leaving customers figuring out how to fix this on their own.
weaver483 (05-07-23)
Old 05-07-23, 05:44 AM
JasDmw
Advanced

Received 238 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by JasDmw
Folks;

For all you owners out there, a word of caution. Right now I'm wating for a boost. Was waiting on the Wife to get into the car and playing around with some settings. I managed to kill the 12V battery! Honestly didn't think it was that long, maybe 10 minutes, but I drained it enough to render the car dead. Needed to use the backup method of exiting the vehicle.
After having thought about this and reading the many replies, I realize that what I was doing was not a normal or good practice. I had the car in the "on" position, without the engine running or in the "ready" mode. Lexus did not design for this, rightfully so. When it's in that condition, all the electronics throughout the car run as if the engine/charging system was running. They have sized the battery for the optimum conditions based on how the car should operate, with some to spare, likely 5 minutes running without the engine on. If I had the car in full operating mode (ready), the battery would not have died. In this case, this is a user issue (me), not a design flaw.

I did this same thing with my 2020 RX once, in a car wash line. Thinking I was smart, I figured out how to keep the car "on" without the engine, so I could listen to the radio. In that car in accessory mode, it would shut off after I think 5 minutes. You could re-enter accessory mode I think 3 times and then you had to start the car. I thought that was a pain so I bypassed that and got away with it several times. Well, smart guy me, one time I drained the battery and it was really stuck; I couldn't start the car or disable the electronic brake. Fortunately I was close to the bypass lane of the car wash and a nice guy was able to drive up there and give me a boost.

So in fact this post is more of a heads up to everyone, if you're going to putz with the settings or whatever, more than a few minutes, turn the car on! Problem solved.
The following 5 users liked this post by JasDmw:
CdO (05-08-23), Doug007 (05-07-23), FMY421 (05-07-23), lsft (05-07-23), LStoneX (01-09-24)
Old 05-07-23, 08:57 AM
Doug007
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts

I hope this is seen as related to the 12v issue. We traveled for 10 days and left our 22 NXH in a carpark without issue. I took the extra step as was recommended somewhere on this forum and manual to disable the key fob (holding the lock while pushing unlock twice) which eliminates the car for searching for the fob.
The following 2 users liked this post by Doug007:
lexxxxus (05-07-23), lsft (05-07-23)
Old 05-07-23, 01:49 PM
gcskoor
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Yeah, I twice not so quickly learned "the best practice" of the 12v battery in the hybrid the hard way. LOL

I also got the NOCO GBX45 jump starter just for the worst case, my other car and to help others, since the NX should not be use to jump start another car. I also added NOCO Genius 2 charger o maintain the battery.
The following 3 users liked this post by gcskoor:
lsft (05-08-23), SgtLip (05-08-23), weaver483 (05-08-23)
Old 05-07-23, 09:35 PM
Tarnshoe
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Is this specific to just the NX or all hybrids?
Old 05-08-23, 01:39 AM
CdO
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Aloha808
Can you unplug a car's 12V battery when you go on vacation in a hybrid? Or will that cause the hybrid battery to overheat? Please ONLY comment if you know. Anyone can speculate.
Unless the car is charging or discharging (READY) the high voltage battery is internally disconnected. You can only get juice in/out of the HV battery if 12V is applied to the the two internal 'switches'. This is why there is a 12V battery, even in EVs... safety... no 12V, no danger of high voltage. No worries disconnecting the 12V.

Related from the manual:
Observing the following can help suppress battery capacity decline...
Leave a low level of charge in the hybrid battery (traction battery) when leaving the vehicle undriven for a long period of time.
SgtLip (05-08-23)
Old 05-08-23, 01:55 AM
CdO
Pit Crew

The manual says this:
I plugged in the charging cable (without it being connected to AC power) and measured the 12V battery current.
After everything settled down it read 0.14A (~1.7 Watts).
I disconnected it; waited; it went down to 0.01A (~0.1 Watts).
Reconnected; waited, also 0.01A (~0.1 Watts).
Guess I didn't wait long enough the first time.
Switched my meter to low range... ~15mA (~0.18 Watts)

Not a definitive test; but, I don't know when I'll have an opportunity to measure after a full charge. Right after I finished, I thought I should have set the charge schedule and had the EVSE plugged in waiting for the charge to start... oh well.
The following 2 users liked this post by CdO:
JPNX (01-29-24), lsft (05-08-23)
Old 05-08-23, 04:46 AM
JasDmw
Advanced

Originally Posted by Tarnshoe
Is this specific to just the NX or all hybrids?
All cars, I killed the 12V battery in my 2020 RX gasser by leaving the ignition on without the engine running.
Old 05-08-23, 05:23 AM
SenorValas
Driver

Received 58 Likes on 31 Posts

So in fact this post is more of a heads up to everyone, if you're going to putz with the settings or whatever, more than a few minutes, turn the car on! Problem solved.
I was always under the impression that if you are running the car in ACC mode (i.e. turned on but not in READY mode) and using functions such as playing with the settings or listening to audio, then the car would pop-up an alert in the instrument display warning of possible battery discharge. I know my Gen 1 NX did this and I'm pretty sure I've seen this on my Gen 2.

Maybe you missed the alert?

Old 05-08-23, 07:54 AM
JasDmw
Advanced

Originally Posted by SenorValas
I was always under the impression that if you are running the car in ACC mode (i.e. turned on but not in READY mode) and using functions such as playing with the settings or listening to audio, then the car would pop-up an alert in the instrument display warning of possible battery discharge. I know my Gen 1 NX did this and I'm pretty sure I've seen this on my Gen 2.

Maybe you missed the alert?
You are correct, I am referring to the conditions when you have the ignition in full on position without the engine running or in EV mode. Some settings functions don't appear to be available in accessory mode. I made the mistake of having the car in the "on" state without the engine for too long!
SenorValas (05-09-23)
Old 05-08-23, 04:39 PM
lexsc4
Instructor

Received 193 Likes on 156 Posts

Highly suggest keeping the car running and use the traction battery if you are waiting. Make sure the READY light is lite and since the gas engine doesn't start unless you are extremely low on the hybrid battery it's better that way. Also, while you are on READY, it will also charge the 12V battery while you are idle as well.
Yep, I was napping in my wife's NX350h for a good 30 minutes while waiting for my daughter, with the READY light on, the AC was on at #2. I was able to start the car no issue. Outside temp was ~80F.
Old 05-08-23, 08:16 PM
Tarnshoe
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

All cars, I killed the 12V battery in my 2020 RX gasser by leaving the ignition on without the engine running.
My apologies. I was replying to the part where they said to not use the NX to jumpstart cars. Is that a NX issue or a hybrid issue?

Last edited by Tarnshoe; 05-09-23 at 07:55 AM.

Quick Reply: NX350h 12V battery